Does This Qualify As Northern Soul? (local Record)

thenon

Hey,

I have had this local record for awhile now. The tune cracks me up, but I was wondering if it qualifies as a Northern Soul tune. I thought I'd post it up for your pleasure/amusement and see what you guys (the gurus) thought:

https://thewaxcrusade.com/joyb.wav

I post a lot in the sales sections in the past. Name is John, live in upstate NY, and enjoy Soul, Funk and much more to the fullest. Liked the forum, thought I'd see if this tune moved anybody as my first discussion post.

Thanks!

T.N.

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It can sound as "northerney" as you want and it can sound as "Northerney" as you want, that has nothing what so ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever to do with a sound being "Northern", it must be played on The Northern soul scene full stop!.

There are scores of tunes played on the scene from the Crow to Purple haze to Busy Signal to the entertainer that do not sound soulful but have become part of this genre because they get play time at venues.

Qualifying as northernsoul? You can fake a record; you can discover a record, but you can not get a record to be northern unless it is played at northern gigs.

Social source share

It can sound as "northerney" as you want and it can sound as "Northerney" as you want, that has nothing what so ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever to do with a sound being "Northern", it must be played on The Northern soul scene full stop!.

There are scores of tunes played on the scene from the Crow to Purple haze to Busy Signal to the entertainer that do not sound soulful but have become part of this genre because they get play time at venues.

Qualifying as northernsoul? You can fake a record; you can discover a record, but you can not get a record to be northern unless it is played at northern gigs.

I agree that there's masses of stuff from all sorts of musical angles that becomes 'Northern' because it's been accepted when played out.

But new stuff has to be discovered and you can't say it isn't 'Northern' just because it hasn't been played before.

That would mean it's impossible for me to play something out that's 'Northern' if it's never been played at a venue before ???

As for the record in question.......its not 'Northern'.....it's Shite.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Hey,

I have had this local record for awhile now. The tune cracks me up, but I was wondering if it qualifies as a Northern Soul tune. I thought I'd post it up for your pleasure/amusement and see what you guys (the gurus) thought:

https://thewaxcrusade.com/joyb.wav

I post a lot in the sales sections in the past. Name is John, live in upstate NY, and enjoy Soul, Funk and much more to the fullest. Liked the forum, thought I'd see if this tune moved anybody as my first discussion post.

Thanks!

T.N.

It is as meritable as a NS tune as The Goodies " Black Pudding Bertha " was ....

I have been to upstate NY and it is a nice area ..... my advice to you John , is to get out in it more .

Malc Burton

Social source share

No Pete, you can say "it isn't 'Northern' just because it hasn't been played before", it has to have been played at venues i.e. "Northernsoul" venues before it can get the moniker "Northern soul", other wise all of my Showwaddywaddy records are "Northern soul" aren't they? No there not, not because my own personal musical taste is shat, it's because they were never played and accepted as "Northern soul" on the "Northern" scene.

New stuff of course is bled into the scene when DJ's want to break a new record if they feel "soulful" but this does not always work, if it doesn't work and the little black disk makes no impression on the dance floor or connects with the punter then it aint gonna become part of the "northern soul" make up. Driza bone pressure did........ Dolly Parton Busy signal didn't so Dolly Parton aint bleedin norvun yet Driza bone is, I don't make the roolz dude but these are the roolz. Ya can try to break em all day but ask our Dolly, the roolz is roolz.

The punter decides not some speccy four eyed record collector obsessed with matrix numbers who has never been on the dance floor in his life, I wouldn't ask a train spotter where the shit house was and I wouldn't ask a record collector to lend his talk!

Social source share

Here's the thing, I already know what many of the popular Northern Soul records are via research, selling, etc. I was asking if the sound of the clip I posted qualified (to those who live it) as Northern Soul and a short introduction. I find it rather off putting that there is a "canon" of Northern Soul; it feels like it has become dogma or something. I also find it off putting that I was posting on the humble, and some of you came at me with a tone that was rather condescending or demeaning. Going along with the "Has the Northern Soul Bubble Burst" thread, a scene that doesn't introduce new records into rotation frequently has a chance of petering out when the members of the scene from the 60s die.

Popcorn--> vibrant.

Northern Soul--> cultish.

Finally, not going for LPs that have the same songs in favor of the 45s (to me) seems insane. When a music scene becomes more about the object's rarity than the music, there is a problem.

My 2c, thanks. Glad you guys didn't like the record although I didn't ask that.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!