Is there a Dr. Watson to sort out Sherlock Holmes ?

Was listening to the LP Carl Holmes Investigation and noticed that "Tramp" in Germany who reissued it (I noticed they had used the Publishing Company "Tramp" from the LP on C.R.S. as the same name 😀 brilliant)

The notes drew me to Discogs and they quoted that Len Woods is an alias of Carl ? Tramp appeared not to know ? (please read below), unless Discogs have it wrong?

Carl “Sherlock” Holmes started gigging in the early sixties forming Carl Holmes & the Commanders with whom he recorded a full length album for Atlantic in 1962 entitled Twist Party At The Roundtable. Later on he recorded a couple of 45’s for the Parkway and Verve labels. In May of 1966 a pre-Experience Jimi Hendrix gigged with the group but never recorded with them. After a final 45 for the local Philly label Black Jack, the group disbanded and Carl formed the Sherlock Holmes Investigation a solid outfit backed by a strong rhythm section packed with congas, vibes, flute, organ and sax. Philly’s Sigma Sound Studio was the place they recorded their sole album and Curtis R. Staten’s CRS Records was the label that released it.

This album has it all! Smokin funk breaks in Black Bag, Investigation, Get Down Philly Town, It Ain't Right and some syncopated latin-inspired jams in Modesa. All these coupled nicely by some fine mellow numbers in Close To You, Think It Over and Your Game . And all but one (Bacharach/David's Close To You) written by a guy named Len Woods, a remarkable songwriter, no doubt!

https://tramprecords.bandcamp.com/album/investigation-no-1

Anyway, there are some more releases on Discogs and 45cat that are not currently connected, which is why I wanted to start this thread and get some help please

Is Carl actually Sherlock and Len, or just another guy ?

And if this has been covered please take me there

Carl Lp front.jpg

Carl LP back.jpg

Carl side A.jpg

Carl AA.jpg

Sherlock C.jpg

Sherlock.jpg

sherlock a.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 715