Pete S

• Replies 41
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Fantastic. You've put a name to a tune I used to like.

Now you've got me scrathing my head as to where this was a regular play. Any ideas?

Also value? Does its price actually match its rarity?

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

I'd say it was up to about £800 nowadays - unusual cos there's not that many rare records on that label (Tru Glo Town).

I've never heard it played out anywhere!

link

used to be played at the 100 club mid eighties By Ian Clarke

Brilliant tune

Irish Greg had a copy and gave it a few spins at the Capitol soul club

Great Tune

Al H :yes:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

used to be played at the 100 club mid eighties By Ian Clarke

Brilliant tune

Irish Greg had a copy and gave it a few spins at the Capitol soul club

Great Tune

Al H laugh.gif

link

Cheers Alan. I knew I had heard it out. :yes:

Social source share

Fantastic. You've put a name to a tune I used to like.

Now you've got me scrathing my head as to where this was a regular play. Any ideas?

Also value? Does its price actually match its rarity?

link

Old Dave Withers cover up pre Stafford, think, fairly sure Guy gave it some welly, possibly at Stafford, certainly played long before mid 80s in London!!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

I'd say it was up to about £800 nowadays - unusual cos there's not that many rare records on that label (Tru Glo Town).

I've never heard it played out anywhere!

link

Carl Willingham (that man again!!!) used to play it over here in Dublin on his many trips.......

Cracking tune!!!!!

John

Social source share

This song reminds me of a do we used to go to called Castaways in Bedfordshire,wether it was played there cant be sure though!

link

Can remember that club, went there for a xmas soul night once. Used to stop over at some mates in Northampton, two brothers Gary and Floyd Zaboki (think thats how you spell it).

Social source share

Old Dave Withers cover up pre Stafford, think, fairly sure Guy gave it some welly, possibly at Stafford, certainly played long before mid 80s in London!!

Cheers

Jock

link

Yeah agreed Jock, sure it was played pre Stafford as well as at that venue.

Social source share

Spot on that man, have one of the old tapes somewhere in the loft of Dave with a full 90 minutes of stuff like that covered up. I think it is pretty rare (or rarer than some other things going for the same price is a better way of saying maybe!)

A great record with same title (think) is Spoilers on GMC, believe the other side is getting plays (Shadow in the title), cant play it to see what its like as my amp is bust!!

Cheers

Jock

PS Hippo did you see my offer to swap midtemp with you? I wont be offended if tooo familiar for you.

Social source share

Spot on that man, have one of the old tapes somewhere in the loft of Dave with a full 90 minutes of stuff like that covered up. I think it is pretty rare (or rarer than some other things going for the same price is a better way of saying maybe!)

I remember it on one Dave's list at around £25 quid - this copy had a edge crack mended by a bit of sellotape and I saw it for sale at Desborough about a year and a half ago for £500

PS Hippo did you see my offer to swap midtemp with you? I wont be offended if tooo familiar for you.

link

Yours is in the post (last thursday)

Social source share

This song reminds me of a do we used to go to called Castaways in Bedfordshire,wether it was played there cant be sure though!

link

Burnt down & derelict now.Last Soul night I remember there was late 80s.In the early 90s there was a big rave scene based there so I'm told.

Social source share

Thats right.A lad died there.The autopsy said hed overdosed on E, Speed,alcohol,and caffeine!! Good venue too,apart from the phsycadelic tables! The christmas dos were always great nights.

link

Yes,the Christmas do's were smashing,made the mistake of going to one of the ordinary Saturday nights there once though......... :thumbsup:

The most intellegent living things inside were the Goldfish.

Social source share

Deffo played at Stafford, but also used to get plays at the fortnightly Nottingham Rock City Soul Nights Mid 80s, think it may have been Jim Wensiora??

Social source share

link

============

Was that in the 80Ts?

The venue was in Sharnbrook Bedfordshire, it's now a delapidated building.

Do you remember who the promoter was?

Winnie:-)

Social source share

cut

link

when was it he used to push out those tapes,

sure got one from him somewhere with rr on, but never been able to remember when got it, 80 ? 81?

Social source share

============

Was that in the 80Ts?

Yes Winnie,Souldrop Lane if i remember correctly !! It was mid eighties when i use to go.Cant remember who ran it though.

Social source share

============

Was that in the 80Ts?

link

Ran by the Bedford lads.......Can't remember who was OFFICIALLY in charge though

Social source share

Guest NickCull

I've got a tape from Dave Withers with this on. Also has C.O.D's , Combinations, Executive Four all the big sounds of the time. Probably about '81/2 I reckon.

Social source share

Seeing as The Castaways was a fairly local scene (as I remember it),does this mean that you folks reminising are (like me) fairly local to the place?

Social source share

Seeing as The Castaways was a fairly local scene (as I remember it),does this mean that you folks reminising are (like me) fairly local to the place?

link

Nope, hour and half away. Had a few mates from Northampton area, Neil Smith, Gary & Floyd, Cliff Steele, Tony Parker etc.

Social source share

=========

Hi Martyn,

Yeah I'm from Bedford, about 10 miles away

link

Me too!!

Used to go to nighters with all the usuall suspects in those days,we must know each other.

Social source share

Nope,  hour and half away.  Had a few mates from Northampton area, Neil Smith, Gary & Floyd, Cliff Steele, Tony Parker etc.

link

Remember the names were Cliff & Tony from Rushden?

Social source share

Me too!!

Used to go to nighters with all the usuall suspects in those days,we must know each other.

link

============

I still go to Kempston Rovers, which is run by Hammy, Geoff Ware, and Pete Hulatt :(

Still see Tommy T out and about as well.

Martyn, do you still live in Bedford?

Winston:-)

Social source share

Nope, hour and half away. Had a few mates from Northampton area, Neil Smith, Gary & Floyd, Cliff Steele, Tony Parker etc.

Im from Northampton. Still see Neil regularly,hes still collecting,Got some great stuff in his collection. Did you used to go Bretby with a girl called Sara?

Social source share

============

I still go to Kempston Rovers, which is run by Hammy, Geoff Ware, and Pete Hulatt  :wicked:

Still see Tommy T out and about as well.

Martyn, do you still live in Bedford?

Winston:-)

link

Went to the last Rovers do, with Rob & Sue Roberts.Spent most of the evening reminising with Tony W :thumbsup:

Social source share

Went to the last Rovers do, with Rob & Sue Roberts.Spent most of the evening reminising with Tony W  :thumbsup:

link

=============

I was at the last Rovers :wicked:

Only spoke to Tony W briefly, and then spent the rest of the night dancing.

I think I know who you are, do you normally knock around with Rob and Sue?

Win:-)

Social source share

=============

I was at the last Rovers  :wicked:

Only spoke to Tony W briefly, and then spent the rest of the night dancing.

I think I know who you are, do you normally knock around with Rob and Sue?

Win:-)

link

I was their best man :thumbsup: used to drive them & Tony to Wigan on occasion

Social source share

=========

I'm sure we know each other....did you used to play footie?

link

No,used to follow footie :thumbsup: in another chapter of my mis-spent youth.

Who did you used to hang out with in the old days?-I always seem to do beter at placing someone from wat back than 5 minutes ago.Weird but true :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!