This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 18/01/22 at 08:59

Next up is  a 'battle' suggested by Stevie Hay aka @Steviehay

He's put forward the below 3 version of this classic

Susan Rafey - Hurt So Bad

Little Anthony & The Imperials - Hurt So Bad

Philly Devotions - Hurt So Bad

As before all you need to do is have a think and if needed a listen below, then just choose which of the 3 versions you prefer...

Battle will run for 5-7 days

Susan Rafey Hurt So Bad

Little Anthony & The Imperials - Hurt So Bad

Philly Devotions - Hurt So Bad

As always feel free to talk about versions, other takes, history, related trivia & stories etc etc below 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

No competition here - Little Anthony's masterclass in soulful intensity wins hands down. 

Susan Rafey is nice middle of the road 60s pop with a classic 4/4, chop-chop beat. And the Philly Devotion, well, great for a wedding disco, but not much more.

I totally agree with your analysis, however I still couldn't resist voting for Susan Rafey due to the 'Northernness' factor 😉 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

No competition here - Little Anthony's masterclass in soulful intensity wins hands down. 

Susan Rafey is nice middle of the road 60s pop with a classic 4/4, chop-chop beat. And the Philly Devotion, well, great for a wedding disco, but not much more.

I think you are being a tad harsh on the Philly Devotions but agree that Little Anthony takes top honours this week.

The Delfonics did a great version too;

Edited by Soulfusion
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Got to be Little Anthony for me, though Cathy Carlson a good effort, new to me

My second favourite version probably this one:-

Great shout on this - forgotten just how good it sounds.
Was due for a UK silver chess release on CRS8051 (B side to Day Tripper) but nobody has
ever seen a copy ?    Mick Smith said "never released".   But Hey ! Ho ! who knows (remember D.B. on London!)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 12/01/2022 at 19:42, Gold Band said:

Cathy Carlson version's not too shabby

Although my vote went to Little Anthony

Kirsty

Cathy Carlson is a great choice and the only version I've played out. My favourite version by far and I wasn't inclined to vote as it wasn't included, but begrudgingly will vote for Little Anthony.

- Kev

Social source share

29 minutes ago, El Corol said:

Ok, didn’t listen to the OP video of Little Anthony due to being so familiar with it, but just listened to it and it sounds to me either a slightly different mix or slowed down version of the DCP release. This is the one I’m familiar with.

You're right. Same as you, I didn't need to listen to Little Anthony to know how good it is, but listening to it now based on what you've said, it's clearly a different version. Perhaps a re-recording/reworking done later on in his career? It certainly ain't his original release.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I've always known Little Anthony's version from the album.  It's an immense Teddy Randazzo production.  But more than that, I've always felt there's a haunting element to the vocal that lifts it up further.  It may of come naturally to Little Anthony, it may not of been intended - but there are nuances in his performance of this in that version on the album, that I can still recall and were they on replaying this morning.  I like other versions, the Delfonics is good as said. Always want to hear Willie Hutch or Baby Washington, but it's the Little Anthony version that's stayed with me.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 12/01/2022 at 16:27, Soulfusion said:

I think you are being a tad harsh on the Philly Devotions but agree that Little Anthony takes top honours this week.

The Delfonics did a great version too;

All great versions of a great song, Delfonics has always been my favourite version

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!