Professionals-Did my baby call?

Go to solution Solved by Tricky,

3 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

As we all know Steve Calloway said that this is Not the Professionals and so people seem to think that this is another take by Steve Mancha.However after listening to it so many times,i am not convinced its Steve at all.Does anyone else think this? Chris. 

Sounds like Steve Mancha to me like . 

Social source share

I've listened to both versions many times back-to-back, and cutting back from one to the other after short snippets, and much of the time they sound to me like the same singer, with a few small portions where they sound like different people, with Wilson having a smoother, lighter, less gravelly voice, and The Professionals' lead having a heavier, deeper, rougher, more nasal and gravelly voice.  That difference is why I have always thought they were different people.  Melvin Davis and Edward Hamilton's voices were always fairly close to Wilson's, with that gravelly quality, sometimes I mistook one for another.  I doubt that Hamilton ever recorded for Don Davis.  But both Melvin Davis and Steve Mancha (Clyde Wilson) were Davis' two right-hand men at Groovesville Records, much of that occurred at the same time, and while The Professionals were with Groove City.  So there is no real way to know for sure, without some documentation.  But, we've been told by people who should know, that The Professionals only sang the "A" side, so we can be fairly certain that the "B" side was someone else (most likely Clyde Wilson or Melvin Davis.  To me, although the 2 voices sound a little different, the singer sounds a little more like Wilson than Davis.  People don't always sound the same every day.  He could have had a little nasal congestion on the day he recorded The Professionals' version.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Robbk said:

I've listened to both versions many times back-to-back, and cutting back from one to the other after short snippets, and much of the time they sound to me like the same singer, with a few small portions where they sound like different people, with Wilson having a smoother, lighter, less gravelly voice, and The Professionals' lead having a heavier, deeper, rougher, more nasal and gravelly voice.  That difference is why I have always thought they were different people.  Melvin Davis and Edward Hamilton's voices were always fairly close to Wilson's, with that gravelly quality, sometimes I mistook one for another.  I doubt that Hamilton ever recorded for Don Davis.  But both Melvin Davis and Steve Mancha (Clyde Wilson) were Davis' two right-hand men at Groovesville Records, much of that occurred at the same time, and while The Professionals were with Groove City.  So there is no real way to know for sure, without some documentation.  But, we've been told by people who should know, that The Professionals only sang the "A" side, so we can be fairly certain that the "B" side was someone else (most likely Clyde Wilson or Melvin Davis.  To me, although the 2 voices sound a little different, the singer sounds a little more like Wilson than Davis.  People don't always sound the same every day.  He could have had a little nasal congestion on the day he recorded The Professionals' version.

Its that gravelly voice to quote you Robb is exactly what i mean.When listening to Steve Manchas other recordings,they all sound the same.To quote you once again,who else could it be if not Steve Mancha?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!