Higher Ebay Fees

Guest bleusuperb

Guest bleusuperb

It seems that ebay are about to impose a 9% charge on records sold, this plus the paypal fee is going too far.

I am thinking of falling in line with many other sellers and introducing a variable postage rate.

If I am selling a record that I would expect to reach a minimum of 20 pounds then i would set postage costs at around 15 pounds with a 10p starting price, a 40 pound record would be postage at 30 with a 10p start etc.

I would point out in the description that just as ebay are raising seller fees to cover their costs then I was doing the same and point out the actual postage costs for that particular listing, as well as the nominal starting price.

Would this work with buyers?

Would you bid in these circumstances?

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It seems that ebay are about to impose a 9% charge on records sold, this plus the paypal fee is going too far.

I am thinking of falling in line with many other sellers and introducing a variable postage rate.

If I am selling a record that I would expect to reach a minimum of 20 pounds then i would set postage costs at around 15 pounds with a 10p starting price, a 40 pound record would be postage at 30 with a 10p start etc.

I would point out in the description that just as ebay are raising seller fees to cover their costs then I was doing the same and point out the actual postage costs for that particular listing, as well as the nominal starting price.

Did you just say you would charge 15 quid postage? Obviously I'm missing something here.

Social source share

Wouldn't try that...it's against eBays fee avoidance rules and you'll be kicked off within a few weeks.

Social source share

It's been done before. Ebay will clock you, remove your items and ban you. It's been going on for yeras especially with things like musical instruments from Japan. ie. Item worth $500 starts at 10c but the postage is $500.00. Pete - It 's a way of avoiding the fees.

Ebay semt out a warning last year to everyone who was doiung it . Some still try to get through, but Ebay will ban you if they catch you.

Ebay....losing it's sheen by the day.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest bleusuperb

Did you just say you would charge 15 quid postage? Obviously I'm missing something here.

Yes, 15 quid.

lets say i was selling a record like Marvin Gaye/ Tammi Aint no mountain, have sold this a few times, always goes for 20-25 quid.

If I charge 15 quid postage and it sells for 7 quid then I pay fees on 7 quid, the buyer still gets the record for the going rate and ebay don't get get an extortionate selling fee, no fees are paid on postage.

Social source share

Guest bleusuperb

Wouldn't try that...it's against eBays fee avoidance rules and you'll be kicked off within a few weeks.

There are numerous items being sold every day for very high postage costs and 1p starting bids.

Social source share

Yes, 15 quid.

lets say i was selling a record like Marvin Gaye/ Tammi Aint no mountain, have sold this a few times, always goes for 20-25 quid.

If I charge 15 quid postage and it sells for 7 quid then I pay fees on 7 quid, the buyer still gets the record for the going rate and ebay don't get get an extortionate selling fee, no fees are paid on postage.

WTF? Would you pay £15 postage for uk delivery on one 45? If your record doesn't sell for £25 that's because that particular week no-one wants to pay that for it. eBay allows potentially millions of people to see your sale items. If you don't want to pay the fees use other methods of selling.

I'm not justifying eBay hiking their fees here - just seems that charging false and inflated postage is completely unethical. Also, if you have to refund an item for some reason I believe you're only obliged to return the actual sale price - not shipping.

Not good :thumbsup:

Godz

Social source share

WTF? Would you pay £15 postage for uk delivery on one 45? If your record doesn't sell for £25 that's because that particular week no-one wants to pay that for it. eBay allows potentially millions of people to see your sale items. If you don't want to pay the fees use other methods of selling.

I'm not justifying eBay hiking their fees here - just seems that charging false and inflated postage is completely unethical. Also, if you have to refund an item for some reason I believe you're only obliged to return the actual sale price - not shipping.

Godz

eBay have certainly hiked up their fees .... I have recently - and to what looks to be the last time because of the fees involved in selling - put three 45s on for sale , and the total fees for the three were £3.00 - 2 @ £ 0.75 and 1 @ £ 1.50 ...... plus VAT . :angry:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Godz

This postage stuff really bugs me. I bought a record off here from someone, charged me 50 quid, plus 2 quid postage, when I got it it was a bootleg so I sent it back, he refunded my money and the original 2 quid postage but not the second 2 quid it cost me to return it, why should I be out of pocket because someone doesn't know what a bootleg of detroit Soul looks like? Yeah it's only 2 quid but it's the principal.

Social source share

Guest bleusuperb

Not good no.gif

Godz

Yes, If I was buying a record that I was prepared to pay 100 quid for then I don't care whether it was 99 quid postage and 1 as a bid or the other way round, its still 100 quid.

Whether a record sells, or not, is irrelevent, this is about extortionate inflated fees.

Ebay are at it. Why the hike in fees when they make millions?

I would in those circumstances also return full postage costs when refunding.

Can the word "unethical" be used when discussing Ebay???? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes, 15 quid.

Just a personal opinion, but I'd tend to avoid sellers that did this.

People tend to forget that Ebay is (or should be) an auction site, and that there's no 'fixed' price for goods, just what the market rightly or wrongly dictates. On the few items I've sold on Ebay I've fortunately managed to get more than market value, but I've subsequently seen the same records sell for less. Part of the fun in my opinion.

And I would imagine that Ebay would wise up to this pretty sharpish, if they haven't already.

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

Yes, If I was buying a record that I was prepared to pay 100 quid for then I don't care whether it was 99 quid postage and 1 as a bid or the other way round, its still 100 quid.

Whether a record sells, or not, is irrelevent, this is about extortionate inflated fees.

Ebay are at it. Why the hike in fees when they make millions?

I would in those circumstances also return full postage costs when refunding.

Can the word "unethical" be used when discussing Ebay???? :thumbsup:

Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying then. Aplogies if i do but it seems like you want the benefits of advertising your records on eBay (massive exposure, searchable content, secure payment methods, feedback etc) without paying whatever the going rate is. Two wrongs don't make a right, mate.

Godz

Social source share

This postage stuff really bugs me. I bought a record off here from someone, charged me 50 quid, plus 2 quid postage, when I got it it was a bootleg so I sent it back, he refunded my money and the original 2 quid postage but not the second 2 quid it cost me to return it, why should I be out of pocket because someone doesn't know what a bootleg of detroit Soul looks like? Yeah it's only 2 quid but it's the principal.

The mailing charge - by next day signed for postage - for a single 45 should be around £ 1.80 .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest bleusuperb

I'd tend to avoid sellers that did this.

Everyone seems to agree that Ebay fees are unjustified and inflated but many are of the view that they should simply accept it. Why?

Social source share

Guest bleusuperb

Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying then. Aplogies if i do but it seems like you want the benefits of advertising your records on eBay (massive exposure, searchable content, secure payment methods, feedback etc) without paying whatever the going rate is. Two wrongs don't make a right, mate.

Godz

Do we really go through our life accepting all the crap that is thrown our way, or do we sometimes fight back and **** those that wrong us.

Edited by bleusuperb
Social source share

Everyone seems to agree that Ebay fees are unjustified and inflated but many are of the view that they should simply accept it. Why?

I'm not going to be an apologist for Ebay because a lot of what they do (Paypal for instance) is shocking, but if you were to ask a Record Dealer to sell stuff on your behalf I'm sure they would charge a higher percentage than Ebay. In terms of what you get it's not actually that bad compared to the likes of GEMM say, who charge (I believe) 15% and offer less exposure, and a far less slick operation.

As a buyer, Ebay offers a pretty good user experience. As a seller, less so, but many would contend it's a necessary evil until something better comes along.

Social source share

The mailing charge - by next day signed for postage - for a single 45 should be around £ 1.80 .

Malc Burton

best not go there malc, we had this 6 months back when I complained about someone charging me 2.50 for standard first class and several people thought it was fair for folks to charge for their time let alone the postage. I charge 1.80 to 2.00 for first class recorded though when people buy off my list I charge 1.50 for first class recorded

Social source share

I charge 1.80 to 2.00 for first class recorded though when people buy off my list I charge 1.50 for first class recorded

Using the 'large letter' rate, two 7" singles with two stiffeners in a mailer can be sent first class (inland) for just 65p - or £1.33 if recorded delivery. The mailer and stiffeners have to be paid for so charging £1.00 to £2.00 for a couple of 7" singles is reasonable.

Yet many ebay sellers charge £3.50 or more for just one 7" single - and then send it second class!!! One seller recently tried to charge me £7.00 to mail one 7" single first class. I think it was because the winning bid was lower than he would have liked.

These practices are out of order and in some cases they are nothing but scams due to refunds not usually including shipping costs. Trust is essential for ebay trading and most people don't trust sellers who charge excessive postage rates.

I realise the increased listing fees are hurting sellers but they can't take it out on buyers.

If ebay become too greedy, people will have to find (or create) an alternative market.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert