What Is Going On

vaultofsouler

Had this link through on an e-mailing list.... I know you've already seen Chalkster.... some others may have also.... BUT for those that haven't.... can someone else PLEASE explain what we're missing here wacko.gif ....

"click to view and have a listen where the speaker side A is"....

Take away the voice or replace it with someone else then ???? maybe, BUT :thumbsup::yes::yes::P ....

As I've already stated elsewhere.... in the words of John Gary Williams.... The Whole Damn World I Going Crazy :( :fool: ....

Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Had this link through on an e-mailing list.... I know you've already seen Chalkster.... some others may have also.... BUT for those that haven't.... can someone else PLEASE explain what we're missing here wacko.gif ....

"click to view and have a listen where the speaker side A is"....

Take away the voice or replace it with someone else then ???? maybe, BUT :yes:   :yes:   :P   :D ....

As I've already stated elsewhere.... in the words of John Gary Williams.... The Whole Damn World Is Going Crazy :(   :fool: ....

link

Edit Note.... it is an eBay link Mike without the title/artsit listed here.... BUT.... you'll see why :thumbsup: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

This is why I hate cover ups :thumbsup: carnt say ive heard it slowed down but would guess you would never know it was Dolly Parton. I hope who ever played it died laughing at the mug punters who were dancing to it in blissfull ignorance. The people that do this Know that they would never get away with playing such records if they played them at the proper speed and uncoverd so why do it . I can not see why the scene needs to play coverd up Pop, C/W, Rock, songs to feed the need for Soul. If the DJs are really struggling to find new sounds to this extent then dont bother stick an over played oldie on I would personly rather listen to the Snake on a boot as long as the guy playing was honest about it :yes:

Social source share

This is why I hate cover ups :yes:   carnt say ive heard it slowed down but would guess you would never know it was Dolly Parton. I hope who ever played it died laughing at the mug punters who were dancing to it in blissfull ignorance. The people that do this Know that they would never get away with playing such records if they played them at the proper speed and uncoverd so why do it . I can not see why the scene needs to play coverd up Pop, C/W, Rock, songs to feed the need for Soul. If the DJs are really struggling to find new sounds to this extent then dont bother stick an over played oldie on I would personly rather listen to the Snake  on a boot as long as the guy playing was honest about it  :thumbsup:

link

seconded...goes against all principles !!!! :yes:

Social source share

It's not my cup of tea, so to say, but I honestly think this is better than many other things played on the scene today, and that says a lot! Definitely 'better' than Holly St James, Larry Trider, and many others. Still, it should naturally never be played in a million years if I had my way, but then again, nor should 50% or so of everything that is played today. Northern 'Soul', never ceases to amaze and amuse. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I was serious, I don't think it is a good record nor that it should be played on the scene BUT the little woman with the big tits sing quite well and the production is more tasteful than many other things I have heard, in fact, I'd go so far as to say this could go big had it had an obscure name on the label. Most people would probably never have realized it was a white artist either. It has all the 'right' ingredients. I think it is better than Annabelle Fox "Lonely Girl" (what were/are you thinking?!), Betty O'Brien, Liz Verdi, Bonnie Herman, Helen Shapiro, Gwen Douglas, Steve Flanagan, Patti Page, Gale Garnett and at least equal to most Timi Yuro things I have heard (what's the deal with Timi Yuro? Never did get that one...). If you can play Patti Page and Paul Anka, why not Dolly Parton? All the records I mentioned are inferior and less soulful, they are utter crap IMO yet they are embraced as good 'northern' records by loads of people. Either you gladly accept this relatively decent effort by Dolly Parton alongside Patti Page and other even more unlikely "soul" artists, or you go down my route, take a sober look at things and just reject all the white crap and the pop, and the R&R, and the Broadway musical songs (Annabelle Fox etc.), and the Eurovision song contest rejects, and flush it down the toilet and keep things real, northern soul where the soul is still kept. It is very hypocritical to instinctively reject Dolly Parton because she is a famous white country artist whilst gladly embracing totally inferior efforts by white pop artists that were slightly less famous(artists like Patti Page were huge in their day though). If the Dolly track had been played covered up and remained uncovered it would have "gone big in the north west" or whatever, it sounds like something that can easily go big on at least parts of the northern scene. If even cheesy instrumental versions of famous Beatles songs can be played, then anything goes. :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Bonnie Herman is a brilliant record, Annabelle Fox - what a production and arrangement, Helen Shapiro is now a very well respected jazz singer and her 2 northern records are both excellent. If it's a decent record it could be by Ken Dodd for all I care. They are just names on labels.

Social source share

I was serious, I don't think it is a good record nor that it should be played on the scene BUT the little woman with the big tits sing quite well and the production is more tasteful than many other things I have heard, in fact, I'd go so far as to say this could go big had it had an obscure name on the label. Most people would probably never have realized it was a white artist either. It has all the 'right' ingredients. I think it is better than Annabelle Fox "Lonely Girl" (what were/are you thinking?!), Betty O'Brien, Liz Verdi, Bonnie Herman, Helen Shapiro, Gwen Douglas, Steve Flanagan, Patti Page, Gale Garnett and at least equal to most Timi Yuro things I have heard (what's the deal with Timi Yuro? Never did get that one...). If you can play Patti Page and Paul Anka, why not Dolly Parton? All the records I mentioned are inferior and less soulful, they are utter crap IMO yet they are embraced as good 'northern' records by loads of people. Either you gladly accept this relatively decent effort by Dolly Parton alongside Patti Page and other even more unlikely "soul" artists, or you go down my route, take a sober look at things and just reject all the white crap and the pop, and the R&R, and the Broadway musical songs (Annabelle Fox etc.), and the Eurovision song contest rejects, and flush it down the toilet and keep things real, northern soul where the soul is still kept. It is very hypocritical to instinctively reject Dolly Parton because she is a famous white country artist whilst gladly embracing totally inferior efforts by white pop artists that were slightly less famous(artists like Patti Page were huge in their day though). If the Dolly track had been played covered up and remained uncovered it would have "gone big in the north west" or whatever, it sounds like something that can easily go big on at least parts of the northern scene.

link

know you were... serious that is, and agree with most of what you saying, knowing your viewpoint I just found it funny (in a good humoured way)! and jumped at the opportunity to mention it :thumbsup:

The point you make is an interesting one, and a valid one imo

Social source share

I was serious, I don't think it is a good record nor that it should be played on the scene BUT the little woman with the big tits sing quite well and the production is more tasteful than many other things I have heard, in fact, I'd go so far as to say this could go big had it had an obscure name on the label. Most people would probably never have realized it was a white artist either. It has all the 'right' ingredients. I think it is better than Annabelle Fox "Lonely Girl" (what were/are you thinking?!), Betty O'Brien, Liz Verdi, Bonnie Herman, Helen Shapiro, Gwen Douglas, Steve Flanagan, Patti Page, Gale Garnett and at least equal to most Timi Yuro things I have heard (what's the deal with Timi Yuro? Never did get that one...). If you can play Patti Page and Paul Anka, why not Dolly Parton? All the records I mentioned are inferior and less soulful, they are utter crap IMO yet they are embraced as good 'northern' records by loads of people. Either you gladly accept this relatively decent effort by Dolly Parton alongside Patti Page and other even more unlikely "soul" artists, or you go down my route, take a sober look at things and just reject all the white crap and the pop, and the R&R, and the Broadway musical songs (Annabelle Fox etc.), and the Eurovision song contest rejects, and flush it down the toilet and keep things real, northern soul where the soul is still kept. It is very hypocritical to instinctively reject Dolly Parton because she is a famous white country artist whilst gladly embracing totally inferior efforts by white pop artists that were slightly less famous(artists like Patti Page were huge in their day though). If the Dolly track had been played covered up and remained uncovered it would have "gone big in the north west" or whatever, it sounds like something that can easily go big on at least parts of the northern scene. If even cheesy instrumental versions of famous Beatles songs can be played, then anything goes. :lol:

link

Come on get real. the point is it is coverd up it would go nowhere if it wasnt and slowed down next the djs will be mixing and scratching and we will be going to listen to the djs and not the Artists or songs

Hay ive crated a new scene Northern Rave :lol:

O no fat boy slim did it first :thumbsup: why not book him :wicked::lol:

Social source share

Come on get real. the point is it is coverd up it would go nowhere if it wasnt and slowed down next the djs will be mixing and scratching and we will be going to listen to the djs and not the Artists or songs

Hay ive crated a new scene Northern Rave  :lol:

O no fat boy slim did it first  :thumbsup: why not book him :lol:   :wicked:

link

ahhh but Miff werent northern djs doing this 30 odd years ago

speeding tracks up , remixing with crowd samples etc etc :lol:

Social source share

I was serious, I don't think it is a good record nor that it should be played on the scene BUT the little woman with the big tits sing quite well and the production is more tasteful than many other things I have heard, in fact, I'd go so far as to say this could go big had it had an obscure name on the label. Most people would probably never have realized it was a white artist either. It has all the 'right' ingredients. I think it is better than Annabelle Fox "Lonely Girl" (what were/are you thinking?!), Betty O'Brien, Liz Verdi, Bonnie Herman, Helen Shapiro, Gwen Douglas, Steve Flanagan, Patti Page, Gale Garnett and at least equal to most Timi Yuro things I have heard (what's the deal with Timi Yuro? Never did get that one...). If you can play Patti Page and Paul Anka, why not Dolly Parton? All the records I mentioned are inferior and less soulful, they are utter crap IMO yet they are embraced as good 'northern' records by loads of people. Either you gladly accept this relatively decent effort by Dolly Parton alongside Patti Page and other even more unlikely "soul" artists, or you go down my route, take a sober look at things and just reject all the white crap and the pop, and the R&R, and the Broadway musical songs (Annabelle Fox etc.), and the Eurovision song contest rejects, and flush it down the toilet and keep things real, northern soul where the soul is still kept. It is very hypocritical to instinctively reject Dolly Parton because she is a famous white country artist whilst gladly embracing totally inferior efforts by white pop artists that were slightly less famous(artists like Patti Page were huge in their day though). If the Dolly track had been played covered up and remained uncovered it would have "gone big in the north west" or whatever, it sounds like something that can easily go big on at least parts of the northern scene. If even cheesy instrumental versions of famous Beatles songs can be played, then anything goes. :l

link

Got to agree with you generally Christian but you seem to have a downer on the UK northern scene in general.In the hacyon days of 72/74 the main thing as to why records were played was the BEAT , ie the dancibility. 100mph stormers were the norm, and the vocalising was less important than the tempo. Later, when a lot of white Uk pop was being played, they stood out more as poor records because slightly slower good soulful US recordings were catching on. The end of the seventies early eighties showcased many great soul records at various venues. Stafford came along, in its later days, and widened the scope with slower records, beat ballads etc. But other people took the easy way out playing slower white (although not exclusively) pop and IMO some of the records played today are far worse than those played in 77/78. At least then there was no pretence that they were anything other than what they were. Calling a shitty slow white vocal a beat ballad, shouldn't fool many people. Unfortunately, it does. You've got to blame the DJ's who first played them. What were they thinking about. But, Christian, you can't change the northern scene because you don't rate a lot of the records played now or in the past. It is what it is. To be blunt, if you weren't there in the early seventies (or earlier as I know some of the posters on this forum were) you can't understand what it was all about. It's different now, it can only change from now. It was exciting, a thrill, and I think anyone would agree, other than marraige,relationships, children etc, its a high point in their life. Not many love affairs endure like peoples love for the northern scene.

And trust me, I'm not one of the 'I've been going 30 years so I know more than you brigade', it's how I feel. :thumbsup: I fully respect your views on the scene as it is now, but I would never pass negative comment on the Torch, Wheel etc, because I did not go. Not a personal thing Christian, but you have you opinion, I have mine.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and everyone else on Soul Source :wicked:

Social source share

Agree with you blade would seem that christian has a real downer on all things not to his personal taste,which as you say he is perfectly entitled to.However it does tend to piss people off when someone continualy slags of certain parts, of the longest running under ground scene the world has ever know,just because he does,nt like it.It isnt requisit that you have to have attended the wheel torch the mecca or wigan,to apreciate ns,but for those who have and did enjoy some of the popier sounds at those venues,it is bloody annoying to keep being told they were crap.Some of these sounds are associated with memories of times people gone by.I am sure a lot of christians favourite tracks may be very good,but some would not appeal to every one and as for the northwest far more good tunes than bad were broken up here.

Social source share

Agree with you blade would seem that christian has a real downer on all things not to his personal taste,which as you say he is perfectly entitled to.However it does tend to piss people off when someone continualy slags of certain parts, of the longest running under ground scene the world has ever know,just because he does,nt like it.It isnt requisit that you have to have attended the wheel torch the mecca or wigan,to apreciate ns,but for those who have and did enjoy some of the popier sounds at those venues,it is bloody annoying to keep being told they were crap.Some of these sounds are associated with memories of times people gone by.I am sure a lot of christians favourite tracks may be very good,but some would not appeal to every one and as for the northwest far more good tunes than bad were broken up here.

link

Exactly right IMO. At the risk of having the piss taken, I always have, and always will love Rains 'Out of My Mind' and August and Deneen ' We Go Together'. Not what I normally go far, but they are 'memory' records and mean something to me personally. Its as simple as that as far as I'm concerned. To hear someone slagging them off who doesn't understand the uk scene,because they are white really annoys me. I don't like certain records, but I don't criticise the scene in general. Live and let live. We are only here once. :thumbsup:

post-1834-1103731957_thumb.jpg

post-1834-1103731983_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Got to agree with you generally Christian but you seem to have a downer on the UK northern scene in general.In the hacyon days of 72/74 the main thing as to why records were played was the BEAT , ie the dancibility. 100mph stormers were the norm, and the vocalising was less important than the tempo. Later, when a lot of white Uk pop was being played, they stood out more as poor records because slightly slower good soulful US recordings were catching on. The end of the seventies early eighties showcased many great soul records at various venues. Stafford came along, in its later days, and widened the scope with slower records, beat ballads etc. But other people took the easy way out playing slower white (although not exclusively) pop and IMO some of the records played today are far worse than those played in 77/78. At least then there was no pretence that they were anything other than what they were. Calling a shitty slow white vocal a beat ballad, shouldn't fool many people. Unfortunately, it does.  You've got to blame the DJ's who first played them. What were they thinking about. But, Christian, you can't change the northern scene because you don't rate a lot of the records played now or in the past. It is what it is. To be blunt, if you weren't there in the early seventies (or earlier as I know some of the posters on this forum were) you can't understand what it was all about. It's different now, it can only change from now. It was exciting, a thrill, and I think anyone would agree, other than marraige,relationships, children etc, its a high point in their life. Not many love affairs endure like peoples love for the northern scene.

And trust me, I'm not one of the 'I've been going 30 years so I know more than you brigade', it's how I feel.  :wicked: I fully respect your views on the scene as it is now, but I would never pass negative comment on the Torch, Wheel etc, because I did not go. Not a personal thing Christian, but you have you opinion, I have mine. 

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and everyone else on Soul Source  :lol:

link

Where do I pass negative comment on the Torch and Wigan?? Both seems to have been fantastic in their heyday, and at least in periods it seems the music played was better and more to my liking than it is today, really wish I could have been there. "The scene"?, Which scene? There is not one scene as I see it, I think there are many. I am very positive about the UK scene, the only proper scene there is (despite what you might have heard), but the scene ranges from quality venues where predominantly quality northern soul is played like the Lifeline to fucking KFC ads and all that, there are many bad things worthy of criticism, indeed I think anyone embracing it all without second thought can't be a very thoughtful person. I have done my own history dancing all night to Blanche Carter, R.Dean Taylor and Frankie Valli, that was great fun then and there, but you move one and learn and progress as time goes by, at least some people do. Still think the Dolly Parton is better than loads of tunes played today, which is kinda bizarre. I realize I can't change much about the way things are, just like I personally can't stop war and famine in Africa, but that doesn't mean I have to like it and accept it, just beacuse I am forced to live with it. :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

The north west bit was just an example, the kind of thing dealers write on their lists some times, it didn't really mean anything. Just making that clear.

Social source share

It's not my cup of tea, so to say, but I honestly think this is better than many other things played on the scene today, and that says a lot! Definitely 'better' than Holly St James, Larry Trider, and many others. Still, it should naturally never be played in a million years if I had my way, but then again, nor should 50% or so of everything that is played today. Northern 'Soul', never ceases to amaze and amuse. :thumbsup:

link

With hindsight and after 30 odd years.Holly St James may not sound so good now,but in it's heyday,in a full main room at the Casino with everyone clapping to it,it sounded great.Granted,it's not a great rcord but I have happy memories of it!

Happy Xmas :wicked:

Pete

Social source share

Nice try chalky m8 see you at the ritz.

link

:thumbsup::wicked:

There's good and bad in all eras of the Northern Soul Scene, Wigan, Wheel, Stafford even today be it pop, soul or whatever description we care to give it. Like Andy says they represent a period in some ones life and when thrown in the mix they make up this wonderful scene of ours, good and bad. Something that is utter shite to one is absolutely brilliant to others.

Social source share

speeding tracks up , remixing with crowd samples etc etc :wicked:

link

Yes mike they did. Wer'nt the decks at Wigan susposed to be speeded up that little bit ? We were all a lot yonger in them days and not so botherd about things as we are today. I just wanted a good time. Even so if we knew who was on most of the cover ups were then they would not of been the top sounds they became. What was OK 30 years ago is not OK now IMO . I personely dont care if the artist is Black White Yellow or Green, couler is not the issue, if its got soul and it rocks someones boat and people want to dance to it thats OK by me. Just play it. On the corect lable with the genuine artists name and title so us mug punters that pay to dance know what we are dancing too If that spoils some of the fun for those that are in the know so what. (As was stated in an earlier post on the same topic ) Sorry but the idea that some one behind the decks taking the piss out off good people winds me up

Better just add I am not sergesting any one on this site would do that :thumbsup:

Social source share

The Dolly Parton thing is very interesting. If it had been recorded by almost any other country singer I feel sure it would have been played and, at the right place and time, could have become reasonably big. However, DP is such a distinctive singer that you can't really 'cover her up'.

I'm not saying it should be played, as I think deejays should try first and foremost to find quality soul records to spin, but to disqualify the record in question given the scene's history of finding records with similarly, shall we say, 'unlikely' pedigree smacks of hypocrisy.

Social source share

speeding tracks up , remixing with crowd samples etc etc :)

link

One that sticks out in my mind,Pal & The Prophets-Peace Pipe slowed down(considerably!)becomes Luther Ingram-Space Oddity,anyone else remember that?

Social source share

Certainly remember it getting plays here in old Glostershire, but don't think anybody bothered covering it up.

Jerry.

link

The slowed down version definately gots spins at Wigan as Luther Ingram. I had an acetate of Eddie Parker - I'm Gone (which caused a bit of a stir - but that's another story!) and it had Star Oddysey by Luther Ingram Orchestra on the flip.

Pretty sure it was RS that played it too. Only lasted about three weeks or so if memeory serves.

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

The Dolly Parton thing is very interesting. If it had been recorded by almost any other country singer I feel sure it would have been played and, at the right place and time, could have become reasonably big. However, DP is such a distinctive singer that you can't really 'cover her up'.

I'm not saying it should be played, as I think deejays should try first and foremost to find quality soul records to spin, but to disqualify the record in question given the scene's history of finding records with similarly, shall we say, 'unlikely' pedigree smacks of hypocrisy.

link

I hope you all had a nice Christmas and all that, I did anyway. What Gareth is saying is basically what I said, but for some reason it turned into something else, don't know why it keeps happening...

Social source share

Cool,

I'll have to dig out a copy of 'Islands in the stream' and start spinning that.

WOOF!

link

Is that on the CD ?

Down Boy :D

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!