Non Smoking Venues?

Winnie :-)

Bearing in mind the new legislation that the government is bringing in re: smoking. Will many venues have to re-visit there smoking policy, and could it affect attendances. If this has already been covered, soz, if it has, could somebody point me in the direction of the thread so I can read up on it.

Personally as a smoker, I'd find it hard to frequent a venue where I couldn't smoke.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Bearing in mind the new legislation that the government is bringing in re: smoking. Will many venues have to re-visit there smoking policy, and could it affect attendances. If this has already been covered, soz, if it has, could somebody point me in the direction of the thread so I can read up on it.

Personally as a smoker, I'd find it hard to frequent a venue where I couldn't smoke.

link

One Positive : ignorant f**kers can't set you on fire on the dancefloor! :thumbsup:

Hammy

Social source share

The Union club in Nottingham is a non-smoking venue. However I understand the venue has changed for the new year to somewhere close by.

Shane

Social source share

One Positive : ignorant f**kers can't set you on fire on the dancefloor!  :thumbsup:

Hammy

link

I smoke Hammy,but it really annoys me when people smoke on the dance floor.I had to speak to someone saturday night for smoking on the dance floor, he just laughed,then went into a spin and burnt some poor blokes trousers!! I said there you go, shouldn't do it but he just carried on regardless :yes:

Social source share

Would deffo put me off in the colder months, probably not in the summer, but if it involved walking say down tow flights of stairs and 30 yards to get outside then NO WAY unless it was a special occasion like meeting a friend for their Birthday celebrations at a do

Social source share

I smoke Hammy,but it really annoys me when people smoke on the dance floor.I had to speak to someone saturday night for smoking on the dance floor, he just laughed,then went into a spin and burnt some poor blokes trousers!! I said there you go, shouldn't do it but he just carried on regardless  :thumbsup:

link

==========

He must be holding the ciggy wrongly. Should be held in palm, with the burning end facing one's self. That way you can only burn yourself. Well that's how we used to do it anyway :yes:

But what happens if they ban it altogether? What next ban drink? :yes:

Social source share

I don't smoke so it would be great for me if they banned it...the bar at Keele..minging, could hardly see people a couple of yards away the smoke was so thick. However, if that was the only place you could smoke then us non smokers could avoid it so there's still a choice for everybody. I know that banning smoking in public isn't fair for smokers but then again non smokers have had to put up with passive smoking for years.

(climbing down off soap box...)

Reg :thumbsup:

Social source share

I don't smoke so it would be great for me if they banned it...the bar at Keele..minging, could hardly see people a couple of yards away the smoke was so thick. However, if that was the only place you could smoke then us non smokers could avoid it so there's still a choice for everybody. I know that banning smoking in public isn't fair for smokers but  then again non smokers have had to put up with passive smoking for years.

(climbing down off soap box...)

Reg  :thumbsup:

link

===========

I'm gonna try and give up on new years eve, so hopefully it won't affect me. Now if only they'd ban alcohol in venues!

Social source share

I smoke all the time when I am 'oot on the pish' or at a nighter but never go near the floor with a cig - Winston's technique may help but you might as well give out f**king sparklers and fireworks at the door if you ask me. Also, although those 'scratchy modern materials' you see at soul nights go up like an inferno.

Hammy

Social source share

Personally, it's spurred me into giving up my occasional, only when out, smoking (well ok, might have the odd one but once it's banned it won't bother me)... not sure if it'll affect attendances, if you're going somewhere for the music you won't mind popping outside if you have to smoke... will you? Think it'll be tougher on business for pubs.

Social source share

Rachel - it will effect those of us who don't do walking if getting to the outside is too far away  :thumbsup:

link

Well you have to suffer for your vices... :yes:

Social source share

A ban is coming soon over here too (Sweden) and it is already banned in Norway, what happened there was that loads of people just quit smoking, and I don't think it really affected anything. I used to smoke on and off for many years but became allergic to it a few years ago and simply had to quit for health reasons. Nowadays smoke annoys me to death and eyes are irritated after a night out and I occasionally have a difficulty to breath when exposed to smoke, not to mention the awful smell of everything after a night out. Even when I smoked myself I was annoyed by smoke everywhere causing red eyes and soar throats. It seems most people in Norway were very positive about it, including the smokers, some were not but they're old and will probably die of lung cancer or heart disease soon anyway, so they won't be a problem for long. One of the main drawbacks with going to events in the UK is the extreme amount of smoke, people on the northern scene smoke as much as albanian or turkish peasants for christs sake! I remember at this years Prestatyn weekender where one area of chairs next to the main floor had no smoking signs everywhere, presumably to distinguish it as a non smoking area, it was more like a gas chamber though. :thumbsup: If a total ban is introduced in the UK (let's hope it comes soon) will all you people who smoke stay in and stop going to venues if you can't smoke there? Is smoking more important than going out, dancing and so on? In Sweden the plan is to allow at least some venues to install special smoke rooms or smoke chambers where you can go and smoke, so you won't have to go outside if it is freezing or raining for instance.

Social source share

Yeah right Win, how many times have you tried?  Did you ever read that book I gave you on it?  Apprently tis supposed to be very good.

link

===========

Hence me saying hopefully :thumbsup: Haven't read the book, you know that, the opening 3 pages put me off, but I will give it another go.

Social source share

Serious note - don't think it will affect too many of our venues as they're either membership clubs or held in licensed premises where food isn't being sold (ho ho). Think I've got it right - but how can I do a DJ spot without a cigarette in one hand, soul 45 in the other, and a pint by my side?

Jerry

link

Ban it and it will stop me chain smoking at niters...It was ok over in Dublin with people going a short walk outside to smoke but you keep throwing them away after a couple of drags when you here that tune....Yes i hope its gonna be a no smoking soul night over here soon,folk will get used to it...I fu"king hate picking up fag ends off the dancefloor...I never used to drink at niters because they had no beer but i think its a real drinking culture now and they want the bar open all night if possible...Try a drinks ban in Dublin and you would have a riot on you're hands with Wendy at the front...

Social source share

Personally, it's spurred me into giving up my occasional, only when out, smoking (well ok, might have the odd one but once it's banned it won't bother me)... not sure if it'll affect attendances, if you're going somewhere for the music you won't mind popping outside if you have to smoke... will you? Think it'll be tougher on business for pubs.

link

==========

The thing I resent Rach, is the hypocracy. I can go in a shop and buy them but then I am restricted as to where I smoke them. I'm not talking about Cinemas, hospitals etc, just places that are meant to be for entertainment.

Social source share

==========

The thing I resent Rach, is the hypocracy. I can go in a shop and buy them but then I am restricted as to where I smoke them. I'm not talking about Cinemas, hospitals etc, just places that are meant to be for entertainment.

link

They do stink tho don't they..and it's not like non smokers have a choice. We can't go outside the venue while everybody else has a fag.

Social source share

They do stink tho don't they..and it's not like non smokers have a choice. We can't go outside the venue while everybody else has a fag.

link

===========

They may have a slight odour :thumbsup:

I suppose the point is that we're not children, but these sort of, we know what's best bans, just really annoy me. Not because I smoke, but because of the infringement of civil liberties.

Having read some of the posts though, about membership, hopefully it won't raise it's head again.

In a previous reply, I saw that there was a non smoking policy at Mick H's do in Nottingham. I don't know if it affected attendances, but it was interesting that they are moving venues. Will the new venue also have a no smoking policy?

Social source share

Eastbourne Town Hall is non-smoking, but there's a little balcony just off the dance floor where smokers gathered. Worked Ok in summer but wouldn't want to have to go outside now! The Stockholm weekender was also NS and there people had to go outside, again just about OK in October, but any time after that bbbbrrrrrrrrr!

Paul

Social source share

Smoke!!!

That's nothing. Try swapping shoes with me for a day.

I don't know, you accidently burn down one old Northern dancehall with your firey breath and everyone's got it in for you.

Discrimination I calls it :(

Godz

link

I don't think its the fire in you're breath thats the problem,its them huge piles you leave in the gents...You aint house trained my freind..Enough animals on the scene at the moment ..Merry xmas...

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I suppose I could nip outside for a smoke, if they were banned, but it would mean I could never DJ again (whaddaya mean good thing!) 'cos I find it impossible to stand up there for an hour without smoking at least 10 fags! What else can you do for two and a half minutes while the records on? :(

Social source share

I suppose I could nip outside for a smoke, if they were banned, but it would mean I could never DJ again (whaddaya mean good thing!) 'cos I find it impossible to stand up there for an hour without smoking at least 10 fags! What else can you do for two and a half minutes while the records on? :(

link

I know that in LA on the soul trip some of the DJ's found that very hard Trevski, I also found it a pain having to pop outside all the time for a ciggie and you could bet your life when I went outside I missed something good :(

Social source share

Guest lagerlout

i am a non smoker and it doe,s get to you a bit if you don,t smoke,but freedom of choice if you smoke and want to who am i to say stop its your health.if i don,t like it i move away.... but banning lager is another issue id bring my own and fcuk the promoter in that order...

Social source share

As an ex-smoker of some 2 years (although admittedly I have fallen off the wagon a couple of times recently - notably the last Sheridans - memo to self: no more cnacer sticks :( ) I can see it from both sides. Personally, I think it's the nanny state gone mad when you're forced outside to have a quick ciggie. Where will it end?? Clearly allnighters where you're sleep deprived are bad for your health and I daresay the volume in a lot of clubs isn't too good for your lugs either - ban 'em all!!! I totally agree that restaurants/eating areas should be non-smoking, but in a bar/club where you go to enjoy yourselves as adults and relax, stopping people smoke who often smoke quite a few a day seems ridiculous. Like I say, I've given up (bar the recent laspses!) and the smell etc doesn't bother me one bit, although I guess it does bother some people.

Reg, I'll get you a Wacko Jacko type mask for the next Keele :( ..

Rich

Social source share

I know that in LA on the soul trip some of the DJ's found that very hard Trevski, I also found it a pain having to pop outside all the time for a ciggie and you could bet your life when I went outside I missed something good  :(

link

Smoking,drinking and situation is a bad habit u can get Soul counciling contact me offline if u need a number it could put another 10 years on your life.Cheers Billy

Social source share

:(:shhh::(:(

This thread as really got me thinking.... soap box time....

Irrespective of whether you smoke or not this sought of Government action, whoever is in power, really does piss me off as it's so very hypocritical with their regard to smoking and smokers....

They hike up the prices.... ban it here and there.... then go on to further bans like this all under the "umberella" of "the health of the nation" and "getting people to quit".... absolute bollocks IMO....

Reason is they "rely heavily" on the taxes smokers generate.... fcuk me they even have "projected income" from cigarettes when working out the forthcoming budgets.... so when they're put up heavily it's for the extra income NOT for health....

Usual three suspects everytime.... smoking, drinkers and drivers....

Wonder what they'd do about the budget if everyone took the decision to stop for the new year....

Rant over whistling.gif ....

Social source share

Mick h did a driveby post but hit the "report post" instead of the "add reply" meaning that just moderators get it

So just a quick pass on....

here it is

A no smoking policy was placed at the union club nottm 10 months ago.it worked ok good attendences every month.untill the manager got obsessed with it. even to a point the perv was spying in the ladies .

so i have decided enough was enough and move the venue cross the road to the trent bridge inn .were punters can enjoy a fag.

you know this country is becoming more of a police state like bagdad.no smoking.no drugs.£80 fine if your pissed waiking down the street after hours.id cards on the way.what next ?

so the tbi trentbridge nottm friday 7th jan a tribute night to my buddy derek allen who was resident for me for the last 5 years.will be held a host of djs will join me for this speical night.

so see you there with your ciggs

Mick H

Social source share

Just want to be clear about this. I'm not saying that peoples' civil liberties should be taken away-smoking is legal and people seem to enjoy it for whatever reason. But I come back from an all niter with a chest like Phyliis from Corrie (yes I know she's dead....my point exactly) cos I've got asthma. and smelling like an ashtray... so do I stop going out? Obviously not. I just think it would be better if venues had some kind of compromise...big extractor fans, non smoking areas...that kind of thing. We could go on about this forever and realistically I'm going to carry on coughing and I'll put up with it (or get a wacko jacko mask..thanks Rich!) but it's just my opinion :(:(

Social source share

Just want to be clear about this. I'm not saying that peoples' civil liberties should be taken away-smoking is legal and people seem to enjoy it for whatever reason.  But I come back from an all niter with a chest like Phyliis from Corrie (yes I know she's dead....my point exactly) cos I've got asthma. and smelling like an ashtray... so do I stop going out? Obviously not. I just think it would be better if venues had some kind of compromise...big extractor fans, non smoking areas...that kind of thing.  We could go on about this forever and realistically I'm going to carry on coughing and I'll put up with it (or get a wacko jacko mask..thanks Rich!) but it's just my opinion whistling.gif   :(

link

Think you've hit the nail on the head - big fans etc would be a quality compromise, but I guess on this scene there isn't exactly money dripping from most venues to afford them - I'll get you that mask :(

And i'd forgotten about Phyllis :shhh::(:(

Rich

p.s Great rant from Mark E - "yours disgusted and disgruntled of Sheffield"!!

Social source share

I fu"king hate picking up fag ends off the dancefloor...

link

I agree they've usually been trodden on so bad you can't relight them. Same as fags thrown in the urinals are too wet to light :(

BTW, while i am a smoker i would hate to see a smoking ban. If i manage to give up; then ban em everywhere i say :(

Eastbourne do have a ban and about 6 people can stand on the fire escape; not great fun and bollox in this weather I should think. When i DJ'd there i managed to get to the fire escape door before having to turnaround and cue the next record :angry:

Social source share

link

Dance, Trevski??? :(

Jamie

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

I'm all in favour of people smoking (i don't !), remember years ago working with a kid who refused to drink coca cola unless it had a high sugar content, said he wanted to accelerate the rotting of his teeth........... :( ....

think this is a first for Soul Source but i am going to quote Voltaire.....

As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities.

Social source share

Mick h did a driveby post but hit the "report post" instead of the "add reply" meaning that just moderators get it

So just a quick pass on....

here it is

A no smoking policy was placed at the union club nottm 10 months ago.it worked ok good attendences every month.untill the manager got obsessed with it. even to a point the perv was spying in the ladies .

so i have decided enough was enough and move the venue cross the road to the trent bridge inn .were punters can enjoy a fag.

you know this country is becoming more of a police state like bagdad.no smoking.no drugs.£80 fine if your pissed waiking down the street after hours.id cards on the way.what next ?

so the tbi trentbridge nottm friday 7th jan a tribute night to my buddy derek allen who was resident for me for the last 5 years.will be held a host of djs will join me for this speical night.

so see you there with your ciggs

Mick H

link

===========

Can you thank Mick H for replying Mike. I was hoping he would make a comment.

Social source share

I would find it hard to go to a place where smokin' is banned- I don't like people tellin' me what to do, and as Winston suggested, they sell 'em and tax 'em, now BAN them from being smoked? Now THAT'S absurd.

Whilst I sympathize with the non- smokers in part, I am sick to death of them tellin' me they are bad for me, and making not so subtle remarks or faces at me.

To quote Bill Hicks, " The only reason I DON'T give up is 'cos I don't wanna turn into one of those whining little maggots...." :(

Edited by AL_R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!