Forgotten Oldies Sound Samples

Pete S

Thought this might be a laugh. I've fished out a few tracks which I can honestly say I have never heard played at a venue since the days they were 'big', some going back to 1975! So I thought it would be interested to see if anyone remembered them, and if anyone is hearing some for the first time, what their opinions are. They are all out of my own collection (shock, the first 5 are 70's) except the last one which is just my idea of a little joke :(

Okay here is no.1

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

They are all out of my own collection (shock, the first 5 are 70's) except the last one which is just my idea of a little joke  :(

Okay here is no.1

link

Diane Jenkins

Not heard in ages.

Sounds fresh, maybe could be revived.

Social source share

What is it?

Great track that I have def heard lots of times.

Just cannot put a name to it.

link

That one is "Girl you better wake up" by Liberty on the BASF label. The a side is a horrendous vocal but that inst used to sound great. Got a tape of Wigan 3rd anniversary with Alan Rhodes playing it, never heard anyone else play it.

Social source share

1 Diane Jenkins

3 Life

4Ikettes

5knights

6Camp

Can't put a name to the others but definatly remember hearing 2,7 &10 somewhere

link

Sort of right with 6, it's actually Val Simpson and as far as I know, it only came out on a Kent cd, but yeah the backing track is The Camp. Thats a record I have never actually seen.

The rest are right, well done for remembring the Ikettes, thought that was long forgotten

Social source share

Is no 10 Phil Coulter? And no 11 is a b side to something well known i think.

link

No it's called "Don't make promises" and it is uncredited, on a label called Yorkville, I presume it's the backing track to a vocal of that name but it doesn't have the vocal on the other side. The other side is called "New Dawn" by Stitch In Time.

Social source share

Thought this might be a laugh.  I've fished out a few tracks which I can honestly say I have never heard played at a venue since the days they were 'big', some going back to 1975!  So I thought it would be interested to see if anyone remembered them, and if anyone is hearing some for the first time, what their opinions are.  They are all out of my own collection (shock, the first 5 are 70's) except the last one which is just my idea of a little joke  :(

Okay here is no.1

link

Just back to work after spending the afternoon entertaining bank managers, solicitors and estate agents :( , so I missed all this. Be a mate and do another one tomorrow Pete.

Would have got 1-5 easy peasy plus the Belles and the Lollipops. Thought 6 was The Camp. Can't remember Bobs Band though !

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE
Social source share

Oops it wasn't meant to be a quiz, it was too see if anyone had heard these records played out at all!

Steve I'll do a proper forgotten oldies quiz later then eh, maybe 20 x 30 second snippets. Nothing too obscure, all will have been played.

The missing one that nobody answered was Teresa Lindsey - It's Love - Correctone

Social source share

Diane Jenkins

Not heard in ages.

Sounds fresh, maybe could be revived.

link

Can remember saying why didn't this get played instead of Nino Tempo. Have got a tape somewhere with this being played back to back with I Need You, probably Ritz 75.

Gaye

Social source share

[

Oops it wasn't meant to be a quiz, it was too see if anyone had heard these records played out at all!

Steve I'll do a proper forgotten oldies quiz later then eh, maybe 20 x 30 second snippets. Nothing too obscure, all will have been played.

The missing one that nobody answered was Teresa Lindsey - It's Love - Correctone

Only just reading through these. Teresa Lindsey might well have been played recently at a venue not far from you Pete. I know Col's played this somewhere this year. First 30 mins or so at the Station often a selection of never played these days oldies.

Gaye

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!