Dennis Brennan has passed away

Sad news, was great to deal with and had a terrific sense of humour which he used to great effect on me when I was bidding on a copy of Choice Of Color on one of his auctions back in the mid 90s

Auctions weren't as advanced back then and I had to ring to see if I had  won and he said I was unlucky this time and that some other guy has won it. He then said, I think he's also English, do you want his name, he may sell you it.

I said I didn't think he should be disclosing another persons name/details and he laughed and said no its fine, you know him well, his name is Steve Carter.... Gotcha!

RIP

Edited by Stevecee
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Stevecee said:

Sad news, was great to deal with and had a terrific sense of humour which he used to great effect on me when I was bidding on a copy of Choice Of Color on one of his auctions back in the mid 90s

Auctions weren't as advanced back then and I had to ring to see if I had  won and he said I was unlucky this time and that some other guy has won it. He then said, I think he's also English, do you want his name, he may sell you it.

I said I didn't think he should be disclosing another persons name/details and he laughed and said no its fine, you know him well, his name is Steve Carter.... Gotcha!

RIP

Good one Steve

Social source share

Really bummed out to hear this.

I've known Dennis for years from Ebay as well as various record shows in the Philly to Lancaster area. 

Always had a smile on his face, good sense of humor, and willing to share recommendations and information.

RIP Dennis.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Have only just seen, so very sorry to hear this. He was, as others have already said, a real gentleman and a lovely guy to deal with. Exchanged a number of emails with him talking records and of course his time with the Intentions. RIP Dennis 

Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I met Dennis in the mid to late 80s - he picked me and my mate up from the Greyhound and drove us back to his place (I think he had a little Cadillac, and was sputting chewing tobacco into a cup, which we found amusing, but I may be confusing him with someone else there).

What I do know is that I bought a load of stuff off him, but the thing I remember most was that he had various records I wanted and wouldn't sell them, even at double his asking price, because he'd reserved them for someone else.

It's so long ago I've forgotten what they were - I know Howard Guyton was one - but a deal was a deal and he stuck me it, which told me something about the guy.

From there we went to see Val Shively, which was another interesting experience.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!