Articles: The Martiniques

Chalky

12 minutes ago, Kenb said:

great article. see 45cat entry for update-submissions.

thanks mate, credit to ken...

Rocamero Pub Co was Carmelina Taylor (i think wife of Romeo Taylor,, since same address).L.A.
Address was 5303 S.Manhattan Place.

However the address in the piece is from a 1968nlisting for Rocamero and Romeo is the named owner.

Rocarmeo Pub. Co. (BMI), Romeo L. Taylor, 624 West 41st Drive, Los Angeles (1968 listing)

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

The obituary for Bobby Martin in Billboard.  Bobby was born Robert Willingham and his name appears on various records as composer.  He was also married to Sherri Taylor?  Bobby was born in Cleveland, Ohio.  Thurman Hollis also from Ohio I believe as was I believe Romeo Taylor, that I am sure I read and that he also spent time working and or living in Detroit.  The link with The Martiniques is via those three.  Speaking to an old friend there is a thought Thurman was co-owner of Me-O?  Internet searches throw up very little on a basic search one either Romeo or Thurman so a bit more digging required.  Romeo as an arranger and producer and his publishing appear on quite a few 45s from the West Coast, Maxine Womack on Highland being just one.

1213935887_Screenshot2022-03-18at19_15_14.thumb.png.43ee1ba8b62a837e9831031e30635f6e.png

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Chalky said:

thanks mate, credit to ken...

Rocamero Pub Co was Carmelina Taylor (i think wife of Romeo Taylor,, since same address).L.A.
Address was 5303 S.Manhattan Place.

However the address in the piece is from a 1968nlisting for Rocamero and Romeo is the named owner.

Rocarmeo Pub. Co. (BMI), Romeo L. Taylor, 624 West 41st Drive, Los Angeles (1968 listing)

Love the connection Karl not these guys again ? It appears that The Tootsie Roll was a dance "thing".

Bobby.jpeg

Tootsie.jpeg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Chalky said:

The obituary for Bobby Martin in Billboard.  Bobby was born Robert Willingham and his name appears on various records as composer.  He was also married to Sherri Taylor?  Bobby was born in Cleveland, Ohio.  Thurman Hollis also from Ohio I believe as was I believe Romeo Taylor, that I am sure I read and that he also spent time working and or living in Detroit.  The link with The Martiniques is via those three.  Speaking to an old friend there is a thought Thurman was co-owner of Me-O?  Internet searches throw up very little on a basic search one either Romeo or Thurman so a bit more digging required.  Romeo as an arranger and producer and his publishing appear on quite a few 45s from the West Coast, Maxine Womack on Highland being just one.

1213935887_Screenshot2022-03-18at19_15_14.thumb.png.43ee1ba8b62a837e9831031e30635f6e.png

Bobby is known to have been with group called Bobby Brown and The Tune Twisters

I saw a benefit concert poster once from 1996, but can't find it now !!!!, I am sure / think it was from Highland Park

Chuck.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I know this was on the thread, but worth looking at again as Mr Hollis was Therman AKA Thurman and that may help in searches.

Therman.jpeg

Like all then other 45s bearing Rocarmeo publishing it doesn't lead you to much.  TMT is to do with Thurman Hollis I believe, Tomorrow's Music Today.  Not sure how Rocarmeo Publishing ended up on the 45 as it is a Popcorn production and through his publishing as well so not sure how it became joint publishing?

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Love the connection Karl not these guys again ? It appears that The Tootsie Roll was a dance "thing".

Bobby.jpeg

Tootsie.jpeg

I know of the Valid 45 and posted elsewhere about it and maybe a link to the Tootsie Rollers given they were both from Ohio.  Tootsie Roll is. a sweet, chewy chocolate candy.  Any references to a dance that I founds so far are more recent than the 50s and 60s.

Social source share

This is my acetate - which got me on the tune back then. Back then you could not find any info on an official release on the net. In the meantime a few VALID 45s surfaced, two I grabbed (sold one years back). Silverfox currently has one at 150 what is very reasonable given its rarity..

IMG_1264.thumb.jpeg.67af94967d13e056a74a2f49f2d01828.jpeg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!