Has Tommy Tate's 'hold On' Lp On Malaco Been Reissued?

Paul Capon

All,

After a long wait (10 years!!) I've recently managed to get Tommy Tate's LP ' Hold on' on MALACO which contains the sublime 'I can't do enough for you baby' (sorry if I outbid anyone who was after it!!!!!!).

It arrived in mint condition and looks almost too good!!! Is anyone aware of this LP being re-released?

I've run through all the usual channels (google searches and Japanese site translactions, Ebay searches etc.) and I've also emailed Malaco customer services (no response yet) and can find no evidence of a re-release.

So does anybody have any info?

If someone has a copy could they dig it out and mail me at xoversoul'at'ntlworld.com (replace 'at' with @) with their phone number so we can compare all the numbers, matrix numbers, sleeve info.

Some please put my mind at ease.

Cheers,

Paul Capon

Edited by souler
Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Haven't heard of this being "re-issued" as such. I suspect Malaco customer services won't know much about this release, as it was issued about twenty eight years ago, and in any case the Japanese releases of previously unissued material from around that time often present something of a legal minefield. The slick packaging sometimes obscures the fact that these companies were releasing material they had no legal claim to.

Well done for snagging one, Paul: as you say, I Can't Do Enough is sublime: in my book one of the very best soul records ever made by anyone, full stop.

Social source share

Was going to say, i think it is purely a malaco/p vine pressing.

From a site:

Very rare Japanese release of unissued? or just rare tracks by Tate.

Is it 70's stuff?

Social source share

It's a Japanese only release from '79 on a Malaco imprint through Vivid Sound. I believe the tracks (which are essentially songwriters' demos) were actually recorded a few years earlier. James Carr released "Hold On" on Atlantic 2803 in 1970/71, and the Tate demo of the song provides this release with its title track. I don't think Tate was contracted to Malaco as an artist throughout this time.

It appears to have been pressed in very small quantities and very rarely turns up for sale. I became aware of it in the 80s via a tape Mark 'Binsy' Taylor did for me of primarily Japanese-released soul. I think he received the track "I Can't Do Enough" via John Ridley.

In the last few years Grapevine have released I Can't Do Enough on at least one CD compilation and maybe as a single too. Perhaps Paul Mooney can confirm the full story behind the Japanese release. I'm not suggesting there is anything murky about this particular album, but I have been told that Vivid Sound often released tracks when they had sketchy permissions to do so at best.

As I stated above, I think this is one of the most scintillating vocal performances in soul history: Tate's double tracking with himself is miraculous in its skill and dexterity, and the bloodcurdling climaxes in delivery are a perfect example of what the art of soul singing is all about. The track has rightfully become an anthem at Soul Essence: who played it first there? Perhaps Gavin Page or Gareth Donovan can fill us in...

Social source share

It's a Japanese only release from '79 on a Malaco imprint through Vivid Sound. I believe the tracks (which are essentially songwriters' demos) were actually recorded a few years earlier. James Carr released "Hold On" on Atlantic 2803 in 1970/71, and the Tate demo of the song provides this release with its title track. I don't think Tate was contracted to Malaco as an artist throughout this time.

It appears to have been pressed in very small quantities and very rarely turns up for sale. I became aware of it in the 80s via a tape Mark 'Binsy' Taylor did for me of primarily Japanese-released soul. I think he received the track "I Can't Do Enough" via John Ridley.

In the last few years Grapevine have released I Can't Do Enough on at least one CD compilation and maybe as a single too. Perhaps Paul Mooney can confirm the full story behind the Japanese release. I'm not suggesting there is anything murky about this particular album, but I have been told that Vivid Sound often released tracks when they had sketchy permissions to do so at best.

As I stated above, I think this is one of the most scintillating vocal performances in soul history: Tate's double tracking with himself is miraculous in its skill and dexterity, and the bloodcurdling climaxes in delivery are a perfect example of what the art of soul singing is all about. The track has rightfully become an anthem at Soul Essence: who played it first there? Perhaps Gavin Page or Gareth Donovan can fill us in...

A surefire spin for me in recent years......A New Chapter, Soul Essence & Monumental........mine came from Soul Bowl for a very reasonable price. First to spin at Essence was Rod Dearlove I think, I'm sure Mark 'TGA' H can confirm.

Girf

Social source share

• 6 years later...

Re-activating this old thread saves me typing out a sales blurb...I have a copy for sale in near mint condition cover/insert/sleeve...the rarest of the Japanese LP release in my experience of digging weekly over here for almost a decade...£125 +P&P.

SOLD

:thumbup:

post-9555-0-99180700-1383665849_thumb.jp

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!