• Replies 20
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest uroffal

Not been able to find that to listen to, but sure i have heard that backing track on something else. The only other Rodd Keith i know is Lock Me Up but not sure what the B side would have been. I think he was a white poet/musician who did loads of oddball stuff.

Yes, he was a white poet who recorded loads of stuff on the Preview label (think it was a label that used to advertise in the press and would press small quantities). I heard he commited suicide by jumping off a bridge, but I believe this is untrue and that in fact he moved to the Midlands and changed his name to Pete Smith laugh.gif

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Is Don't You Tempt Me known, I can't find the old thread?

I don't think so.

We originally had Like The Lord Said.

Then Gloria.

Then the new one I got about 4 weeks ago, damn I forgot the title!

Then the one I posted up above (which is definitely not on any 45, it's LP only)

So Don't You Tempt Me must be yet another one.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

My heart - pete smith dodgy disc -

14717 refosoul

Have you mixed a vocal over a backing track there? Can you put Labamba vocal - Ritchie Vallens over the top of The Showmen - Our Love Will Grow? Just to see what it sounds like?

M.

Social source share

Have you mixed a vocal over a backing track there? Can you put Labamba vocal - Ritchie Vallens over the top of The Showmen - Our Love Will Grow? Just to see what it sounds like?

M.

No thats what the actual record sounds like. But in answer to your question, if you get a bit of software called Audacity, you can do what you asked about!

Social source share

Not been able to find that to listen to, but sure i have heard that backing track on something else. The only other Rodd Keith i know is Lock Me Up but not sure what the B side would have been. I think he was a white poet/musician who did loads of oddball stuff.

Think he also had a puppet , kind of a bird thing...think it was called emu or something , back in the 70s.....for f**k sake...get off that bloody computer and get some work done mate......you are showing symptoms of anorakniaphoba! laugh.gif:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Think he also had a puppet , kind of a bird thing...think it was called emu or something , back in the 70s.....for f**k sake...get off that bloody computer and get some work done mate......you are showing symptoms of anorakniaphoba! laugh.gif:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just a thought! i wonder were there any other "vent acts" that cut Northern records....remember that bloke with nooky bear, plus there was Keith Hull with awfill and Ray Lord Charles ....for starters :shades:

Social source share

Yes, he was a white poet who recorded loads of stuff on the Preview label (think it was a label that used to advertise in the press and would press small quantities). I heard he commited suicide by jumping off a bridge, but I believe this is untrue and that in fact he moved to the Midlands and changed his name to Pete Smith laugh.gif

No He actually fell off His own roof while trying to fix his TV ariel...apparantley!

Social source share

Guest kev such

On the same subject aint it a shame that joan decausey had to revert back to her ventriloquist skills when her singing career took a nose dive and was forced to drag nookie bear out of the cupboard and go back onto the Butlins circuit.

The biggest shame is that we only remember the bears name and not the handler, apparantly nookie went solo as she was holding him back.

I have just remembered that nookie bear tried his own act but got arrested for putting his paw up a girls skirt, in his defense he did say it wasnt the same as when Joan used to do it.

Please can anybody correct me IF i am wrong.

regards Kev.

Social source share

On the same subject aint it a shame that joan decausey had to revert back to her ventriloquist skills when her singing career took a nose dive and was forced to drag nookie bear out of the cupboard and go back onto the Butlins circuit.

The biggest shame is that we only remember the bears name and not the handler, apparantly nookie went solo as she was holding him back.

I have just remembered that nookie bear tried his own act but got arrested for putting his paw up a girls skirt, in his defense he did say it wasnt the same as when Joan used to do it.

Please can anybody correct me IF i am wrong.

regards Kev.

Think i can help you there Kev, Nooky went on to form his own label " Bearsville" i have included a sample of one of his releases (click on thumbnail for larger image) as you can see it was by Felix Cavaliere and the title was Never felt love before ....which if you look carefully, nearly contains the phrase (in anagram form) "failed vent "......so bit of a dig there at Joan i think !....plus Felix was an original member of the Young Rascals.......which is nearly an anagram of Decourcy.......all starts adding up does'nt it !... think when she sang about "I got the power" it was purely wishful thinking....seems quite clear to me who was wearing the trousers.......Him with is own record label and everything!.......hope this helps....all the best...Jem :thumbsup:

post-4637-1171460446_thumb.jpg

Edited by jemco
Social source share

Guest kev such

think when she sang about "I got the power" it was purely wishful thinking....seems quite clear to me who was wearing the trousers.......Him with is own record label and everything!.......hope this helps....all the best...Jem laugh.gif

Social source share

I don't think so.

Then Gloria.

Then the one I posted up above (which is definitely not on any 45, it's LP only)

Thanks Pete an answer at last.

I'll try and post some of it when I work out the technology.

Social source share

Guest uroffal

I don't think so.

Then Gloria.

The one from a few weeks ago was I'm A Man (Preview 1301)

Social source share

• 13 years later...
On 14/02/2007 at 17:22, Guest uroffal said:

The one from a few weeks ago was I'm A Man (Preview 1301)

A bit late in the day I know, but I now have a WAV / MP3 of Rodd Keith 'I'm A Man' (Preview) which I managed to source from an old Northern Soul compilation tape that someone did me in the 1980's (might have been Pete Smith). Quality isn't perfect but there are no sound-files anywhere of this great 45 (imo). 'Like The Lord...' rhythm and oddball lyrics, I wrote them down as you can see here... 

https://www.45cat.com/record/nc747909us

If anyone wants a sound-file pm your e-mail and I'll e-mail you the file.

Edited by Soul-slider
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!