Latest Ebay Warning

Pete Burton

Be warned, I put some stuff on Ebay the other day and just as the bids were building up nicely Ebay in their wisdom have now decided (without bothering to advise otherwise) that if you say you accept cash, that is against their rules !!!!!!

Consequently my items were withdrawn without any warning and I have had to re-enter all the information from scratch.

Couldn't they have simply have removed the word "cash" from the payments accepted ????

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Be warned, I put some stuff on Ebay the other day and just as the bids were building up nicely Ebay in their wisdom have now decided (without bothering to advise otherwise) that if you say you accept cash, that is against their rules !!!!!!

Consequently my items were withdrawn without any warning and I have had to re-enter all the information from scratch.

Couldn't they have simply have removed the word "cash" from the payments accepted ????

ranting_1.gif

Does that apply to all countries Pete...or just the UK?

Social source share

Does that apply to all countries Pete...or just the UK?

The following was sent to me from the US Site:

Dear soulbeagle,

We appreciate that you chose eBay to list the following auction-style listing(s):

160084362583 - Rare Northern Soul - The Touch Of Venus - Sandy Wynns

However, your listing was in breach of eBay's Accepted Payments policy and has been removed from eBay. All fees related to this listing have been credited to your account. We also notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has

been canceled.

We would like to take this opportunity to let you know what part of your listing is not permitted.

Your listing(s) contains the following information:

Cash

You may offer to accept PayPal, credit cards including Mastercard/Visa /Amex/Discover, debit cards and bank electronic payments online for eBay purchases. You may also offer to accept bank-to-bank transfers, often known as bank wire transfers or bank cash transfers. You may accept cash on delivery or cash for in-person transactions. You may offer to accept personal cheques, money orders, cashier's cheques, certified cheques and other negotiable instruments.

Sellers may not solicit buyers to mail cash.

Social source share

Hi Pete,

Not a new thing I'm afraid. They've had this rule for over a year now. I had a load of auctions ended a good 8/9 months ago for the same thing. 99.9% of the time your auctions won't get pulled as eBay pay no real attention unless someone actually reports your items to them. Seems someone must have decided to mess you about and report them.

It's getting worse, I've had auctions stopped for saying I accept cash, for having my website on the decription and best of all because I have violated someones intellectual rights?????? About the only thing I have left in the description now are the titles and a sound clip!

Adam.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Hector Rivera

ranting_1.gif

EXACTLY the same things just happened to me. I have E-Mailed them to ask why "cash"

couldn't have been removed but not expecting any great response.

E-Bay unfortunately is getting more draconian and up its arse by the day ...

Social source share

This might all be true and for genuine sellers it's annoying but e-Bay is being closely watched because of money laundering that's happening. I suspect e-Bay are making the most of it (they could do enough checks to get round it) but that would be their defence if you managed to get an answer from them.

In the States organised crime has targetted e-Bay big time. It was in the Grauniad so it must be true.

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Hiya

Blame a competitor or someone who has a gripe with you for your listings being removed. EBay don't police the site themselves and remove listings, they rely on other members, both sellers and buyers, to report inappropriate listings, also listings with violations. Some spiteful people on EBay, if one particular person has a gripe with you, they will scour your listings for any trivial thing and report to EBay. Whoever reads the report will check the item number, see Cash Payment and automatically remove the listing, sending you a warning email telling you not to do it again. If it happens again they will eventually close your account down.

Cash Payments have been one of the violations for a year now.

You can offer Cash On Collection - but not cash in the post. If a buyer does send cash after the auction is finished it's at their own risk.

It was done to prevent a lot of fraud. Cash in the post is only insured if sent via Special Delivery and it's a hard job to prove you actually put cash in the envelope to claim any compensation from Royal Mail.

On the other hand, posting large amounts of cash to a total stranger is a bit of a nightmare for the buyer even if the seller is a good honest one, some sellers aren't good and honest, and will deny receiving cash payments if not sent by a trackable method.

If any of your other listings say Cash Payment, I would revise them before EBay act on any more reports thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Hector Rivera

I've accepted cash on E-Bay since February 2001 and not had it mentioned before plus have almost 2000 pos

feedback. I only have it on a template to fill up space - virtually nobody ever pays cash !

I really don't think someone reported it or all my listings would have been removed ( 2 out of 25 were -the

two with the highest bids)

Anecdotal evidence leads me to believe it is because they are pushing paypal so strongly now and I am certain they do have someone monitoring listings.

I wouldn't even have minded removing the word "cash" it's the heavy handed way they done it - removing listings

with no prior warning allied to the new fee structures plus the loopholes in paypal. I think if someone came up

with a viable alternative to E-Bay a lot of people would be v interested ......

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Hiya Pete

Cash payments on EBay were banned over a year ago

Scroll down to December 01 2005 on this link : https://www2.ebay.com/aw/uk/archive.shtml

and then there's this little lot to digest : https://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/acce...nts-policy.html :shhh:

and then this for the wannabee reporters : https://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/ques...orted-item.html

The two you had removed would be the only two listings that someone reported. Listings are reported by Item Number. If they reported all your items EBay would have pulled all of your listings. It can take 3 days or more for EBay to act on reports, sometimes the spiteful one who reports your listings gets no satisfaction if the auction has finished before EBay act - but if reported early enough, you can guarantee EBay will take your auction down. They don't email you and ask you kindly "Can you remove Cash Payments" - wouldn't be difficult would it really, save a lot of hassle all round.

My guess is your reporter is someone who is in competition with you, someone who has a gripe with you - maybe even jealousy plays a part in it. The Strange World of EBayers :thumbsup:

Nite folks :lol:

Social source share

What happens if you list...

'Most forms of payments accepted'

or some other cleverly worded description that obviously 'implies' you accept cash without actually saying it?

Once auction has ended it is still against ebay rules if the buyer asks to pay by cash and you accept?

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Guest Hector Rivera

Um I'm not actually Pete !

I knew abt cash being banned as a Method of payment a while ago my only gripe was E-Bay's heavy handedness

along with the other E-Bay related frustrations like paypal claimbacks etc ,

Do you work for them or something ??

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Ay Up Mace

Once the auctions finished, the buyer can send you cash at their own risk - up to them then :shhh:

'Most forms of payments accepted' excluding camels, peanuts, half eaten Kebabs, buttons, horrible Fudge Quality Streets and anything else you can't spend :thumbsup:

Deffo nite from me

See ya at Bidds on Saturday :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert