Andre Williams - I'm Gonna Rat on You

Hi there, Im trying to find the orig label, or confirm if it was an unrelesed, Andre Williams - I'm Gonna Rat on You.

I have found a listing for a Sport relese on Soulful Detroit Website, 107 Johnny Soul "I'm Gonna Rat On You"/"I Can't Buy No More"

But no or little info on Andre Williams version, anybody know?

Mal

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Andre Williams was a producer at Sport Records.  Maybe that listing came from an acetate commissioned by producer, Andre Williams, and it was the instrumental for Johnny Soul's version?  Williams did talk through his "Pearl Time" chart record on Sport 105 in summer 1967.  And they could possibly have planned for a follow-up to it.  It was a Midwest regional hit.  But I doubt that Sport ever released a commercial 45 of Williams version, as I never even saw a WDJ issue of it.  But, maybe it was recorded as an instrumental backing intended for a follow-up release to "Pearl Time", as they often recorded 4 cuts, to cover the optional 2nd release.   The 2nd release probably wasn't cancelled because of poor sales of "Pearl Time" , because that sold fairly well.  But I doubt there was ever a commercial release of an Andre Williams version.  Maybe the instrumental originally made for Williams' version was given to Johnny Soul to record, after a disagreement between Sport's owners and Williams over the proceeds from "Pearl Time"?

Interesting that Johnny Soul's version was a Mike Hanks joint venture production with the Sport people, and Andrew Harris produced it.  And it was co-written by Mike Hanks and Emanuel Lasky.

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.26.49 PM.png

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Cheers Robb,  Yes I can see  now it Mah's Music on the Sport 45.  So it's safe to say that Andre williams is likey unreleased Inst, that was kept in the can. I simply came across an MP3 for this, and as I'm as anal as most of you lot,  I wanted to fill in the release date, label, etc etc...  Did Williams cut for Fortune while doing things at Sport, it seems allot of these Inst tracks pre date the late sixties, maybe the Fortune stuff is allot earlier...

Social source share

10 hours ago, Mal C said:

Cheers Robb,  Yes I can see  now it Mah's Music on the Sport 45.  So it's safe to say that Andre williams is likely unreleased Inst, that was kept in the can. I simply came across an MP3 for this, and as I'm as anal as most of you lot,  I wanted to fill in the release date, label, etc etc...  Did Williams cut for Fortune while doing things at Sport, it seems allot of these Inst tracks pre date the late sixties, maybe the Fortune stuff is allot earlier...

No! Williams left Fortune in early-to-mid 1961, when he started with Motown.  Sport started in 1967.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!