Chubby Checker - You Just Don't Know original releases?

puw

For purely personal interest, could anyone help with the factual releases of this record. I have done some digging and have come up with various 'bits of info' & labels.

The 1st label I think I understand - an original 1965 US Parkway Promo, some got pressed before the rest of the order was cancelled (hence the extreme rarity & price).

The 2nd - which I've found as being listed as ...... US 'Parkway' label doesn't fit the story since supposedly there were no US standard issue releases - so is this a reissue and from what date or a bootleg?? I read somewhere that due to litigation, they pressed & released the record 'away' from Chubby's main fans in Philly??? (I know about the UK Outta Sight 2012 reissue)

The 3rd & 4th label are of the original 1965 UK Promo and issue - correct?

I know about the the UK London reissue from 1978.

The last label is the 'Northern' UK bootleg on North. Does anyone have any background on its history (who/when etc) please?

So besides the 1978 UK London reissue & the 2012 Outta Sight release ....... have I missed any?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide :)

Chubby Checker - You Just Don'y Know (Parkway P 965 PROMO WHITE US 1965).jpeg

Chubby Checker - You Just Don'y Know (Parkway P 965 Issue US).jpeg

Chubby Checker - You Just Don'y Know (Cameo Parkway P 965 PROMO WHITE_1 UK 1965).jpeg

Chubby Checker - You Just Don'y Know (Cameo Parkway P 965 Issue_1 UK 1965).jpeg

Chubby Checker - You Just Don'y Know (North NORW-101 BOOTLEG WHITE UK).jpeg

Social source share

another 2 London Re Issues from 78

A You Just Don't Know

B Two Hearts Make One Love

Label:    London Records – HL 10557
Format:   Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Promo, Mono
Released:    1978

A No Lo Sabes = You Just Don't Know

B Dos Corazones Equivalen A Un Amor = Two Hearts Make One Love

Label:    London Records – MO 1788
Format:    Vinyl, 7"

Social source share

6 hours ago, Brummie said:

another 2 London Re Issues from 78

A You Just Don't Know

B Two Hearts Make One Love

Label:    London Records – HL 10557
Format:   Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Promo, Mono

A No Lo Sabes = You Just Don't Know

B Dos Corazones Equivalen A Un Amor = Two Hearts Make One Love

Label:    London Records – MO 1788
Format:    Vinyl, 7"

Thanks Brummie :)

Social source share

3 hours ago, Russoul1 said:

Didn't the UK demo/issue get released before the US demo?

My info say US = Dec 1965

UK = 3 Jan 1966

I can't find a Cameo / Parkway Singles release database to confirm.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

There is also an OOTP boot (1973 according to 45Cat).

The yellow above is a boot, also from the 70s, but a bit later.

Thanks for confirming the 'yellow' as a Bootleg. Just by the image and the way the label 'sits' made me think that but visual is not always definitive :)

Yep, I missed that '73 OOTB Boot - thanks

Social source share

On 07/05/2022 at 19:34, Chalky said:

East Coast Test Press.  Bell Sound stamp and Cameo labels used but reversed obviously to utilise the blank side. 

Anyone have the delta number of the west coast press? Both sides

Hi Chalky, it has: P-965-A   O    monarch triangle 59431 and then something that looks like IRL

B side:  P-965-B   O  monarch triangle 59431- X         can't see the IRL thing but my eyes aren't what they used to be!😟

Hope you are keeping well.  Cheers Julian 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Parkway USA

But after seeing that yellow bootleg in this thread, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was this that he had.

I can’t believe that he was in possession of the only known issue ever seen.

Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

On 09/05/2022 at 09:07, Julianb said:

Hi Chalky, it has: P-965-A   O    monarch triangle 59431 and then something that looks like IRL

B side:  P-965-B   O  monarch triangle 59431- X         can't see the IRL thing but my eyes aren't what they used to be!😟

Hope you are keeping well.  Cheers Julian 

I assume that the timeline for this is that it would be pressed around October / November at Monarch for a potential release in December 1965 during which time someone at Pye requested the tracks for release in the UK. It is strange that no other country made a similar request.

Once the decision was made in the US to shelve the release I guess that the window of opportunity for release in other countries must have disappeared too.

Social source share

On 14/05/2022 at 14:40, 45cellar said:

I assume that the timeline for this is that it would be pressed around October / November at Monarch for a potential release in December 1965 during which time someone at Pye requested the tracks for release in the UK. It is strange that no other country made a similar request.

Once the decision was made in the US to shelve the release I guess that the window of opportunity for release in other countries must have disappeared too.

The Greek top ten,may well have been an issue, think they have white stock copies on that label, I can definitely remember it on the front of a manship list, early 2000's. 

Social source share

I havn't heard of the Top Tunes release but interested to know if one does exist. To this point most of Chubby Checkers records had gained a release in other countries. Following Two Hearts Make One Love / You Just Don't Know his next release Hey You Little Boogaloo did manage to get released in several countries and then Looking At Tomorrow / You Got The Power suffered a similar fate as US only with Stock Copies difficult to find.

Social source share

On 15/05/2022 at 16:30, Mick Holdsworth said:

A Greek Top Ten release of Chubby Checker ? Really ?

Well that's new to me, I only know of the two Gamble releases, Frank Beverly and Dee Dee Sharp.

Anyone got an image ?

I'm doubting myself now, could have been Frankie Beverly, but I'm sure John manship would remember, it was his top auction item at the time. Seems to be a philly connection with the other top ten release's. Searched but can't a scan myself. 

Edited by Geeselad
Social source share

On 19th August 2020, John sold a Frank Beverly on the Greek label on his auction. There is 1 week in August 2020 which I couldn't find as Mr Z was away and had asked someone else to post. I do like odd releases of classic NS records, but I can't remember Chubby C on greek - but I'm certainly not saying that there isn't one.

All the best

Social source share

40 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

We'll both myself and John manship seen to disagree

Screenshot_20220518-180240.thumb.png.7a209deb8590351bb003a1284887983e.png

Just now, Kelboy said:

No fair enough mate if you say it was released in Greece, I should have put as far as I’m aware Chubby didn’t come out in Greece. 

Social source share

22 hours ago, Bo Diddley said:

On 19th August 2020, John sold a Frank Beverly on the Greek label on his auction. There is 1 week in August 2020 which I couldn't find as Mr Z was away and had asked someone else to post. I do like odd releases of classic NS records, but I can't remember Chubby C on greek - but I'm certainly not saying that there isn't one.

All the best

I bet he's confused. He's at the right age.

Never heard of it and if it did perhaps re-issue same time as in Spain.

I'd bet the wife on it so I can't lose either way.

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

39 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

I bet he's confused. He's at the right age.

Never heard of it and if it did perhaps re-issue same time as in Spain.

I'd bet the wife on it so I can't lose.in

Apologies folk, think both our memories are addled. Maybe you're right and I'm just confusing with Frankie Beverly, I do find it odd that we both confused the two and and chubby is a Philly record, though. I'll file my copy next to my Trends album then. 😁

Social source share

Chubby Checker is from 1965. Greece Top Tunes label didn't start before 1968 and it looks like it ended in 71/72. So highly unlikely they would have released YJDK back then, neither the original 65 release or the 77/78 reissue.

Social source share

On 18/05/2022 at 18:36, Bo Diddley said:

All the best

The Yank posted the results for 5/8/20

22 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Apologies folk, think both our memories are addled. Maybe you're right and I'm just confusing with Frankie Beverly, I do find it odd that we both confused the two and and chubby is a Philly record, though. I'll file my copy next to my Trends album then. 😁

John will have been on the Malbec. What about you? 

:) 

Social source share

4 hours ago, Steve M said:

The Yank posted the results for 5/8/20

John will have been on the Malbec. What about you? 

:) 

Stopped drinking brandy last week, possibly the DT's😂. Funny thing is, I'll concede, but I'm still not convinced, I can see the grainy scan on an old list, in my mind. Might book a holiday in Athens and get digging 🧠🥒😉

Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 19/05/2022 at 23:36, Geeselad said:

Might book a holiday in Athens and get digging 🧠🥒😉

In the nicest possible way good luck with that, was there pre Covid, loads of records in the flea market area, never seen so many trashed records in my life. Stacks of them, very few in any sort of cover. Saw little soul related, I wondered if they were all ex juke box. Went through hundreds in the short time we were there. Only found two actual record shops one who had load of current Kent releases etc. There must be other shops obviously but we weren't there searching for records though the few hours spent doing so was enjoyable and very frustrating. The nearest I'll get to feeling how it must have been for the guys going to the US years ago. 

Only Northern record I saw was a copy of the Tempests on Stardust in a box of decent condition singles and he wanted more than they are listed on Discogs, power of the Internet? 

I did see a Greek issue of Mr Bloe which I was tempted to buy for the novelty. Also saw three Paul Anka ep's in a junk shop only to remember later someone posted on here that there was a nice tune on an Anka ep though I think that was a Spanish one. I do realise your reply was tongue in cheek and there are records there in quantity. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!