MFSL Audiophile LPs - Why more expensive than originals?

I've seen these sort of things before, but never worked out why some MFSL Audiophile reissue LPs seem to be very expensive, compared to their original couterparts.

I've just seen a couple of these reissues of classic Motown albums (Stevie Wonder - Talking Book and Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On) both at $89 and $113 respectively on a current auction, (Carolinasoul), still with days to go.

In each case their original releases were big sellers and those can be picked up, unsurprisingly. for a lot less.

Is there something special about these MFSL releases that make them so collectable. It can't be just that they were limited editions. Maybe they are more desirable to a younger mainstream buyer, rather than an older collector.

Dunno. Any ideas ?

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
typo
Social source share

Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs LPs are sought after for the sound quality they produce generally made from the original masters on 180 gram virgin vinyl. I own a few of these and they do sound fantastic. Of course high end hifi is my other hobby, I play them on a Voyd .5 Reference turntable  through an Audio Note based system. 

Edited by Phil Shields
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks Phil. Would they be better sound quality than, say a Motown original which I would have thought would also be taken from original master, maybe in some cases recycled vinyl ?

Is the 180g weight a bit more or less than an original, maybe making it better, as manufacturing processes are better nowadays ?

Sorry. I don't know much about LP manufacturing.

Social source share

44 minutes ago, Phil Shields said:

Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs LPs are sought after for the sound quality they produce generally made from the original masters on 180 gram virgin vinyl. I own a few of these and they do sound fantastic. Of course high end hifi is my other hobby, I play them on a Voyd .5 Reference turntable  through an Audio Note based system. 

I use a Klingon plasma deck with titanium warpcell bolts utilising phase induction speakers.

Fantastic sound reproduction but I lost my copy of the Servicemen last week when it got sucked into a wormhole.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Thanks Phil. Would they be better sound quality than, say a Motown original which I would have thought would also be taken from original master, maybe in some cases recycled vinyl ?

Is the 180g weight a bit more or less than an original, maybe making it better, as manufacturing processes are better nowadays ?

Sorry. I don't know much about LP manufacturing.

I'd say yes better quality, 6ts LPs are often thin vinyl , The 180 gram generally sounds better and is usually nice and flat. There are loads of these companies making audiophile quality LPs now and they often are mastered with tube amps, they take a lot of care to make them sound as good as they can. The MFSL LPs are long deleted now so makes them that bit more hard to obtain.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!