My First Ever Wants List

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

After having a clear out at the weekend i somewhat ecstatically discovered a folded up piece of paper in an old wallet. it was a piece of Maths workbook graph paper ;-) At least my time at Rednock Comprehensive wasnt completely wasted.

It had a list of a few tunes I wanted to get hold of. I am guessing it is 78/79, maybe some one can help with the actual year?

Adams Apples - Dont take it out on this world.

Bobby Sheen - Dr Love.

Gia Mateo - If you cant say anything nice about me.

Bellboys - I dont want to lose you know.

Elbie Parker - Please Keep away.

L Allen - Cant we talk it over.

Shalimars - Stop and take a look at yourself (See other thread).

4 Perfections - I'm not strong enough.

Marva Hicks - Looking over my shoulder.

I'd spend a happy half hour or so listening to all those today.

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

After having a clear out at the weekend i somewhat ecstatically discovered a folded up piece of paper in an old wallet. it was a piece of Maths workbook graph paper ;-) At least my time at Rednock Comprehensive wasnt completely wasted.

It had a list of a few tunes I wanted to get hold of. I am guessing it is 78/79, maybe some one can help with the actual year?

Bobby Sheen - Dr Love.

But how many did you manage to get in the intervening 28 years ?

Social source share

Bobby Sheen - Dr Love.

Did you manage to get em all in the end Mikey ?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Never had the Larry Allen or Elbie Parker.

Only rarely see Larry Allen for sale, and never when I was in a position to buy.

A very good mate of mine came out of a long relationship, and the first thing he did was buy a Elbie Parker.

now thats something the Samaritans could take heed of.

Still got them all, but the Bellboys is the same boot as was posted on another thread recently. Cant say i've seen an original, it was done by someone else as well wasnt it. An ever so slightly slower version. The Bellboys was massive at Yate, as were all the above really.

Social source share

Never had the Larry Allen or Elbie Parker.

Only rarely see Larry Allen for sale, and never when I was in a position to buy.

A very good mate of mine came out of a long relationship, and the first thing he did was buy a Elbie Parker.

now thats something the Samaritans could take heed of.

Still got them all, but the Bellboys is the same boot as was posted on another thread recently. Cant say i've seen an original, it was done by someone else as well wasnt it. An ever so slightly slower version. The Bellboys was massive at Yate, as were all the above really.

:thumbsup: 'Someone Else' Mikey !!!! Only the great & Wonderful Jackie Wilson ! :unsure:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

:thumbsup: 'Someone Else' Mikey !!!! Only the great & Wonderful Jackie Wilson ! :unsure:

Oh good grief.

Forgive me Trickster. I know not what I do.

I have the mind of a goldfish with amnesia.

Social source share

Oh good grief.

Forgive me Trickster. I know not what I do.

I have the mind of a goldfish with amnesia.

Outside, naked & flog yourself with a bunch of stingers i reckon !

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Oh yes!

Jackie Wilson bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiinds the BellBoys... plus you get the bonus, magnificent, flipside "Just Be Sincere" on Brunswick 55309.

Would certainly recommend it to go on your new wants list, Mikey.

Agree on 78/79

:thumbsup:

Sean

I do know the JW version. Trickster played it to me many times.

its like many tunes. I heard Bernie Williams before Gene Woodbury. And therefore prefer Gene.

Same with The Precisions before Stemmons Express and Madelene Bell - Picture me gone, before the other version. (PLEASE tell me its not Jackie Wilson :unsure: )

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

..and how many would you buy without a blink at their current going rates, assuming you don't already have them?

Social source share

I do know the JW version. Trickster played it to me many times.

its like many tunes. I heard Bernie Williams before Gene Woodbury. And therefore prefer Gene.

Same with The Precisions before Stemmons Express and Madelene Bell - Picture me gone, before the other version. (PLEASE tell me its not Jackie Wilson :thumbsup: )

No it was his mom :unsure:

I know what you mean about always tending to prefer the one you hear first, i am the same as you with all of those apart from Picture Me Gone.

Got me racking my brains now to try & think of a tune where i prefered a version heard after.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

..and how many would you buy without a blink at their current going rates, assuming you don't already have them?

All of them. Apart from the 2 I've never owned, I dont think any are particularly expensive are they?

Bobby Sheen would IMO be the only real weak link. But at that age I loved it. Especially the cringeworthy - I've got a PHD in love-ology.

Marva Hicks i saw go for £4 on ebay a while ago. What a fantastic piece of soul for the price of a pint in Covent Garden.

Social source share

All of them. Apart from the 2 I've never owned, I dont think any are particularly expensive are they?

Bobby Sheen would IMO be the only real weak link. But at that age I loved it. Especially the cringeworthy - I've got a PHD in love-ology.

Marva Hicks i saw go for £4 on ebay a while ago. What a fantastic piece of soul for the price of a pint in Covent Garden.

I used to love Dr Love until I started hearing it every bloody month at 100 club about 80 years ago :unsure: just one of those things for me I'm afraid but Mikey it's well worth having for the tremendous slowie Sweet sweet Love on the b side :thumbsup: tre-bloody mendous mate

Social source share

I used to love Dr Love until I started hearing it every bloody month at 100 club about 80 years ago :lol: just one of those things for me I'm afraid but Mikey it's well worth having for the tremendous slowie Sweet sweet Love on the b side :thumbsup: tre-bloody mendous mate

I've got this for sale... Any offers...? :rolleyes:

Social source share

Was showing my goldfish with amnesia too when racking my brains about a version i prefered after hearing another one first !

I said as such about Jimmy Hughes's version of 'Slippin' Around' as opposed to 'Art Freeman's' in the 'any nice bargins' thread only a couple of days ago.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Bobby Sheen - Dr Love.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Bobby Sheen - Dr Love.

The MARVA HICKS record was a new UK release in 1979 as far as I know, so that pins it down fairly well. (PS. The Bobby Sheen record was probably on my OWN first wants list, back in 1969/70!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!