We can be in bed by 1am – amazing... Article

Mike

Interesting article given the rise of all-dayers over recent years....

‘We can be in bed by 1am – amazing’: veteran DJ Annie Mac’s new clubbing venture hits the spot

A club night that ends at midnight is welcomed by those who – like the DJ – want a good time without partying all night long

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/may/21/we-can-be-in-bed-by-1am-amazing-veteran-dj-annie-macs-new-clubbing-venture-hits-the-spot

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Definitely the way forward. I was at a 'soul alldayer' here in Amsterdam just last weekend. Two venues, with one running from 12 in the afternoon til 5pm, and the second open from 7:30pm til about 2am.

I got to the first one at about 1:30pm, DJ'd twice, and once again (in the 2nd venue) between 7:30pm til 8:30pm. I left at about 11:30pm to make sure I got the last proper train/bus connection home - rather than have to subsequently wait for the once-an-hour night bus from Amsterdam Centraal Station that would then get me home an hour later (plus a 20 minute walk home with a heavy record box that was already stretching my arms). If I'd stayed til the end of the night, I'd get home at about 4am or later.

After two-and-a-half years of lockdown, I find I don't want to do that anymore (particularly a 15-hour session from start to finish).

Next time I organise an event here in Amsterdam (should that happen), it'll be an alldayer - mid-afternoon til late evening, ending before or at midnight at the latest. Very few local people here actually live in Amsterdam, and most come by public transport - hence they've always left early to ensure getting the last train/bus home.

Now I feel they really want to make sure they're back home at a more reasonable hour - not just because of age directly, although that is a huge factor, but also because the idea of waiting at train stations, bus or tram stops for the next public transport connection at silly o'clock no longer appeals.

Perhaps more so than at any other time, and after two years of restrictions on movement and activities, home is where the heart is.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!