• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 02/06/22 at 08:00

A version battle suggested by Chris aka  @Chris Turnbull

'Wide awake in a dream’

Jerry Jackson
Philip James
Vicki Anderson
Lynn Collins

For this 'battle' return, there are four versions of this great song to think about, as before if you wish to take part all you have to do is have a think/listen and then simply select your choice via the poll

and as the idea behind this and similar posts is to get some talk going, make sure that once voted you post up your thoughts/reasons etc behind ya choice as well

Jerry Jackson

Philip James

Vicki Anderson

Lynn Collins

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Jackson or Collins for me. Think they have the fuller, more interesting arrangements. 

Collins delivers a good performance and the whole thing is very nicely put together, but i'm going with Jackson for his well judged vocal, the very interesting vocal harmony arrangement and those vibes!

Social source share

2 hours ago, Skegsoul said:

Have got all of them but Philip James for me used to hammer it back in the day off the lp. All good mind 👍

Was that the “Independent Jamaica” LP? where it’s credited to The Maytals, which as I understand is really Phillip James version slowed/ pitched down slightly? Or is it another LP?

Social source share

23 minutes ago, El Corol said:

Was that the “Independent Jamaica” LP? where it’s credited to The Maytals, which as I understand is really Phillip James version slowed/ pitched down slightly? Or is it another LP?

Is off the Blues busters " Behold how sweet it is" lp on sunshine.

Social source share

10 hours ago, Mal C said:

Oooo thats not easy at all... another 'Turnbull' terror of a choice!

😆 yeah not easy at all Mal - I'd go for either of the two male versions I think but hard to choose between them - played JJ more over the years so probably edges it over PJ, but very close - PJ a favourite current spin 

Social source share

The Vicky Anderson ALL THE WAY for me but the later 1969 "warmer" remix on King instead of the earlier 1966 De Luxe "colder" mix like on the YT sound bit up here.

Knew the Blues Busters first as a teen. OK-ish. Was into the Jamaican music back then and like most them folks had not much appreciation for their "soul" acts. To this day still.

The Jerry Jackson is first but the guy never had too much going for my soul thirst. A good crooner with corky commercial musical arrangements. All a tad too much for my liking or wallet.

Keeping a Lynn Collins because it's worth peanuts and doesn't hurt to stay there. Taking this tragedy of a song to another level of derision of some sort. Gets a spin home every turn of the century.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Looked out for a 1969 'King' remix/version on YT but all are the De Luxe 1966 mix. Only found this one that was made in my dear old country Belgium by and for the 'Pop-Corn' people with a so slightly over-pitched recording of it but not by much if ever. Voilà...

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

The Vicky Anderson ALL THE WAY for me but the later 1969 "warmer" remix on King instead of the earlier 1966 De Luxe "colder" mix like on the YT sound bit up here.

Aaah I didn't need to listen to the clip as I have the King version so assumed that was it.

Thanks for the info Tim !

Not changing my vote, lovely voice punchy horns and now warm too ! Lovely

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Dukeburgundy said:

On the poll I went for Vicki Anderson as the most soulful and for the horn arrangement.

Midnight Drifter - I have a lovely memory of a hot summer's night Blues Party in S London in 1981 (they did happen honest) dancing or maybe swaying with a lovely woman to the Barry Biggs 12" version with it's great sax solo. Music is about memory so that version will always be my favourite. Thanks for uploading.

BTW - Biggs has just reissued his Lovers rock albums. I've all ready bought them. 

It wasn't me uploading it but your description of that dance you went to sounds great 😊 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!