Northern Soul Float at the Platinum Jubilee

Soulfinger

1 hour ago, Soulfinger said:

Hopefully it's a misguided attempt at a Twisted Wheel badge by someone who didn't know any better

From the Daily Mirror...

The Platinum Jubilee Pageant Company has since apologised for any offence the symbol has caused.

They told The Mirror: "This is a genuine mistake and we apologise for the offence caused. The act intended to represent the Twisted Wheel Club associated with Northern Soul music from 60s and 70s, and the symbol was unfortunately mislabeled on search engines.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/people-outraged-over-alleged-nazi-27152261

They had one job to do, just one. And they couldn't have screwed it up any more than they did. Kin eedjits!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I've googled the Twisted Wheel and not once did this symbol come up

From the Scottish paper, The National:

The National found one royalty-free-images site included a Black-Sun-style symbol in amongst a series of graphics listed under "Northern Soul".

Source: https://www.thenational.scot/news/20188284.jubilee-pageant-concern-apparent-black-sun-nazi-symbol-northern-soul-float/

I've just done a quick search and found it rather easily...

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/black-sun-symbol-icon-color-vector-1333116191

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I suppose it could have been the badge of Prince Philip's favourite norvern venue ... :lol:

2 minutes ago, Corbett80 said:

Anyone know where i can buy this as a patch for my soul bag? Also looking for decent scene related armbands…

Give ebay a look around Tuesday lunchtime ... :lol:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

I googled twisted wheel, I am now aware of the shutterstock images.  In any search for the Twisted Wheel the image does not show and it looks nothing like the Wheel logo.  Bout time they got people involved who know the history.  Plenty who are immersed ninth history of the scene.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I googled twisted wheel, I am now aware of the shutterstock images.  In any search for the Twisted Wheel the image does not show and it looks nothing like the Wheel logo.  Bout time they go people involved who know the history.

I suspect stupidity or perhaps they are "twisted"

Social source share

SSTK are offering this as a fee to download vector  >>HERE<< deffo tagged Northern soul.  They are tasked with making the most of their assets, so to tag something that's near visually, yeah what the hell, they would do that.

I'll ping some old colleagues there, make them aware of the uproar!

Social source share

1 hour ago, Dukeburgundy said:

It certainly looks like a a schwarze sonne which is very unfortunate. 
I’m surprised no-one noticed a well known neo nazi symbol but I hope and expect it was an honest mistake.

To be fair i had never seen or heard of that symbol before but you wonder why no one asked what it was. 

1 hour ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

I've got a copy of "Third finger far-right hand" if you're interested

Reich on!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

31 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

I always thought Northern Soul was an underground scene confined to dark basements. Whoever thought it would be a smart idea to have a pratt's disco on the back of a lorry, should have given it a bit more thought, then scrapped the whole idea. 

Has their ever been a time where "somebody" Did not financially profit from the Northern Soul scene?

I'd agree more folks make a living from it now than ever before. Dancing shows, fashion week themes, films, documentaries....dealers, promoters, even now we have new release hoarders! Hoping to flip for a profit:)

We may expect the nazi badge on sale at a venue near you, as the frenzy to capitalise on the scene explodes.

By the way, the black power freedom fist wont please everybody...

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Just now, Tomangoes said:

Has their ever been a time where "somebody" Did not financially profit from the Northern Soul scene?

I'd agree more folks make a living from it now than ever before. Dancing shows, fashion week themes, films, documentaries....dealers, promoters, even now we have new release hoarders! Hoping to flip for a profit:)

We may expect the nazi badge on sale at a venue near you, as the frenzy to capitalise on the scene explodes.

Ed

I doubt it but they kept it largely within the scene.  

Social source share

6 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Ed

They had a white power Aryan fist on the side of the float...

Social source share

Just saw this..

The Platinum Jubilee Pageant Company apologised. It said: “This is a genuine mistake and we apologise for the offence caused. The act intended to represent the Twisted Wheel Club associated with Northern Soul music from 60s and 70s, and the symbol was unfortunately mislabeled on search engines.

This is an error with no malicious intent. Anyone who has seen the Pageant will know that the Pageant is all about inclusivity, tolerance and unity and this symbol does not correlate with anything it stands for.”

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I’ve edited this post as I’ve just been informed that apparently taking the piss out of this clearly ludicrous situation is tantamount to condoning it?! If anyone on here feels like that then feel free to contact me to discuss your grievance.

Edited by Corbett80
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

A lot more folks now know about a symbol than did before.

On one hand it's free advertising for the neo nazis, but on the other its shown outrage to this symbol and what it stands for.

Meanwhile Northern Soul, what ever that is, gets some huge exposure!

Nuts.

Ed

Social source share

2 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

A lot more folks now know about a symbol than did before.

On one hand it's free advertising for the neo nazis, but on the other its shown outrage to this symbol and what it stands for.

Meanwhile Northern Soul, what ever that is, gets some huge exposure!

Nuts.

Ed

I have tried to find the "symbol was unfortunately mislabeled on search engines". Do they appear on a different search engine than Google ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 05/06/2022 at 20:30, Tomangoes said:

I would not have known what the symbol stood for.

Then again, I've lived a sheltered life...

Ed

My sister sent me a picture of this float, noting the same thing about this symbol. Hadn't seen it before but despite never having been to the Wheel I knew immediately that it wasn't the one associated with the club.

Social source share

On a weirdly connected note, the original swastika was an ancient symbol that I believe was associated with yoga, amongst other things. My wife, who trained as a yoga teacher in recent years, was exploring various positions with cranked arms and kneeling on one knee, whilst teaching online due to covid.

I happened to notice that at one point as she moved her arms at the elbows up and down she ended up suddenly in the swastika shape. That move didn't make the cut, and never will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Seano said:

My sister sent me a picture of this float, noting the same thing about this symbol. Hadn't seen it before but despite never having been to the Wheel I knew immediately that it wasn't the one associated with the club.

Google search right now.

Probably not the same pre jubilee.

It must be how these things appear?

Looks innocent enough, blended in unless you recognise it.

Screenshot_20220606-232112_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9d3cbc7ffe78ad540ef19daa81249d36.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Seano said:

On a weirdly connected note, the original swastika was an ancient symbol that I believe was associated with yoga, amongst other things. My wife, who trained as a yoga teacher in recent years, was exploring various positions with cranked arms and kneeling on one knee, whilst teaching online due to covid.

I happened to notice that at one point as she moved her arms at the elbows up and down she ended up suddenly in the swastika shape. That move didn't make the cut, and never will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

It’s got very little to do with yoga but it is a mystical symbol read some  Templer History if you get time if you want the European perspective . 
it is a symbol that has been used for over 7000 years in Buddhism Hinduism etc. it’s a common symbol in India 🇮🇳

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Found one here

https://www.joe.co.uk/news/jubilee-pageant-nazi-symbol-340205

Press the "View" button (sensitive)

I hate to be so negative, but - and ignoring the huge cock-up with the Twisted Wheel logo - the float and activity on it looks absolutely pitiful. Did I see a couple there doing jive moves?

No wonder the commentators preferred to reminisce about Space Hoppers rather than focus on this supposed celebration of Northern Soul.

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

I thought the range of "Britishness" on display was fantastic if taken with humour.

Who would have put Sir Cliff with Eubank?

Plenty of c list celebs milking it.

Surely Mr Searling should have been on the NS float, now he is honoured?

I wonder if any of the Royals have heard of NS?

Ed

• Thanks 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

I thought the range of "Britishness" on display was fantastic if taken with humour.

Who would have put Sir Cliff with Eubank?

Plenty of c list celebs milking it.

Surely Mr Searling should have been on the NS float, now he is honoured?

I wonder if any of the Royals have heard of NS?

Ed

Richard would not be that stupid

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Chalky said:

The scene never comes out of anything like this looking good.  Whenever the scene is put on show it just comes across as naff with ageing people who think they can still dance looking frankly silly rather than the athletic dancer they should be dressed in clothes that make them look like some sort of naff act rather than a serious underground cool music scene.  I know it hasn't been cool for a long time, its long since been hijacked by divs and wallies wanting their 15 minutes of fame turning the scene into the parody it is, the kind of people we went to nighters to get away from.

I know people work hard on these things and I know the organisers can only work with what they are presented with but as usual it turned into one big div fest with the naffest choice of songs.  One of the great music scenes of any generation made to look totally naff once more.  And to top it off we are now tainted as being some sort of nazi group.

The problem being if knowledgeable people from this forum i.e you and several others had been approached about doing something that reflects the scene more accurately, would it have been acted on or dismissed. Genuine question not having a go.

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

The problem being if knowledgeable people from this forum i.e you and several others had been approached about doing something that reflects the scene more accurately, would it have been acted on or dismissed. Genuine question not having a go.

But Jo is a genuine person and knowledgeable and like I said she can only work with what she has at her disposal.  The problem is the older generation cannot and will not represent what they were supposed to be representing, a young athletic, cool dance scene, underground and edgy.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Chalky said:

But Jo is a genuine person and knowledgeable and like I said she can only work with what she has at her disposal.  The problem is the older generation cannot and will not represent what they were supposed to be representing, a young athletic, cool dance scene, underground and edgy.  

Absolutely, the problem being we think we can.🙂

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!