Northern Soul Float at the Platinum Jubilee

Soulfinger

2 hours ago, Leicester Boy said:

The problem being if knowledgeable people from this forum i.e you and several others had been approached about doing something that reflects the scene more accurately, would it have been acted on or dismissed. Genuine question not having a go.

Hopefully it would have been dismissed. It's not like the media have ever really represented scene in an accurate or complimentary manner in the past. It's really just virtue signifying on part of all that took part. 'Look at me I'm into northern soul'.all should have known better. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Steviehay said:

what a total bell 

OK the delivery wasn't great but for an American he had a basic grasp of the history of the scene and the symbol itself.

Maybe he could have been a little more emphatic and stressed that this was just a mistake.

4 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

Hopefully it would have been dismissed. It's not like the media have ever really represented scene in an accurate or complimentary manner in the past. It's really just virtue signifying on part of all that took part. 'Look at me I'm into northern soul'.all should have known better. 

If it had to be done a dj or two doing a spot with a few people waving on the float ?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, Chalky said:

But Jo is a genuine person and knowledgeable and like I said she can only work with what she has at her disposal.  The problem is the older generation cannot and will not represent what they were supposed to be representing, a young athletic, cool dance scene, underground and edgy.  

I was under the impression that Wayne Hemmingway of Red or Dead fame was in charge of the Northern Soul section but I could be wrong

Social source share

On 06/06/2022 at 19:51, Tomangoes said:

Just saw this..

The Platinum Jubilee Pageant Company apologised. It said: “This is a genuine mistake and we apologise for the offence caused. The act intended to represent the Twisted Wheel Club associated with Northern Soul music from 60s and 70s, and the symbol was unfortunately mislabeled on search engines.

This is an error with no malicious intent. Anyone who has seen the Pageant will know that the Pageant is all about inclusivity, tolerance and unity and this symbol does not correlate with anything it stands for.”

Ed

If was an incorrect badge why was it even put on the wagon? Surely if whoever organised it were a ~Northern soul fan. then they would have seen the mistake and not included on the float!

Edited by jonko
Social source share

On 05/06/2022 at 23:44, Corbett80 said:

To be fair i had never seen or heard of that symbol before but you wonder why no one asked what it was. 

Reich on!

You are only 12 though, us older people with grandads that went on about those Nazis and going about our long hair and sexy pop music will have remembered 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 06/06/2022 at 09:09, Frankie Crocker said:

I always thought Northern Soul was an underground scene confined to dark basements. Whoever thought it would be a smart idea to have a pratt's disco on the back of a lorry, should have given it a bit more thought, then scrapped the whole idea. 

Well said Frankie - my thoughts exactly! Cat's been out of the bag for too long now though - sadly it'll never be an underground scene again. Northern's like the new line dancing now. 😢

Edited by Kathryn Magson
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

I thought the space hopper fans were typical eccentric brits.

Lots of uk artists made some classic norvun..

Kiki Dee, Chapter Five, Dusty, the glitter band, Julian covay....fame at last!

Ed

Listening to the glitter band will make you blind, mate. 😁

Social source share

My first all nighter...Oct 76 CWG. Absolute loved it and as a newly turned 15 year old 4th year, one of the youngest there.

However, it was baggy trousers, vests and badges. White socks, and largely uniformed.

Lots of pop played in with the serious stuff.

In recent years I've read a lot of stuff about the 1969 intake who were at the crossover into this new named scene, and lots packing up by 74 or 75 quoting its now a circus.

What a contrast. I think its great, they think its turned crap.

It's ebbed and flowed over the years for sure.

Any 'progression' is snails pace with much more interest in nostalgia.

Aside from the wrong symbol etc, in my opinion, the float, the music, the dancers, the clothes, give a reasonable account of what Northern Soul WAS when I joined the scene.

Just you tube Northern Soul nights and even very recent events mostly reflect the very substance of what's being criticised here.

For every 100 club, there's the local club times 100.

Cutting edge, underground, no nonsense, serious ovoid, etc etc. As rare as the rarities they play.

If I see an old punk, rock and roller, or new romantic dressed in original attire  I do have a little smirk. It's inevitable the same applies to Nothern Soul from folks outside, and obviously from this post, some inside.

Ed

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 17/06/2022 at 19:48, Tomangoes said:

My first all nighter...Oct 76 CWG. Absolute loved it and as a newly turned 15 year old 4th year, one of the youngest there.

However, it was baggy trousers, vests and badges. White socks, and largely uniformed.

Lots of pop played in with the serious stuff.

In recent years I've read a lot of stuff about the 1969 intake who were at the crossover into this new named scene, and lots packing up by 74 or 75 quoting its now a circus.

What a contrast. I think its great, they think its turned crap.

It's ebbed and flowed over the years for sure.

Any 'progression' is snails pace with much more interest in nostalgia.

Aside from the wrong symbol etc, in my opinion, the float, the music, the dancers, the clothes, give a reasonable account of what Northern Soul WAS when I joined the scene.

Just you tube Northern Soul nights and even very recent events mostly reflect the very substance of what's being criticised here.

For every 100 club, there's the local club times 100.

Cutting edge, underground, no nonsense, serious ovoid, etc etc. As rare as the rarities they play.

If I see an old punk, rock and roller, or new romantic dressed in original attire  I do have a little smirk. It's inevitable the same applies to Nothern Soul from folks outside, and obviously from this post, some inside.

Ed

I chuckled when I read this, how true. I was one of the 16 yearolds in 1969 that ventured wide eyed into the world of NS. By the time baggy trousers and vests came in we had retreated back into our own small clubs. Baggy trousers and the anything goes type dancing I find embarrassing. NS is still the only music for me and I still get a kick out of listening to new sounds but now this is done on the internet.

Each to their own but the original NS movement was built on "cool"; Levis and Ben Shermans and to be really cool your Mum had embroidered the OKeh logo on the pocket.

Dave Banks

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Davebanks said:

I chuckled when I read this, how true. I was one of the 16 yearolds in 1969 that ventured wide eyed into the world of NS. By the time baggy trousers and vests came in we had retreated back into our own small clubs. Baggy trousers and the anything goes type dancing I find embarrassing. NS is still the only music for me and I still get a kick out of listening to new sounds but now this is done on the internet.

Each to their own but the original NS movement was built on "cool"; Levis and Ben Shermans and to be really cool your Mum had embroidered the OKeh logo on the pocket.

Dave Banks

The vast majority of people at dos wear normal clothes. Some wear vests and baggies but each to there own. Personally I'm more Lacoste than vests but in a world of many problems the width of someone's strides certainly don't bother me. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 19/06/2022 at 10:33, Leicester Boy said:

The vast majority of people at dos wear normal clothes. Some wear vests and baggies but each to there own. Personally I'm more Lacoste than vests but in a world of many problems the width of someone's strides certainly don't bother me. 

I wise man once said; ' never judge a man by the width of his trousers''. The clobber does get jumped on perhaps unfairly, but it's perhaps symbolic of the disenchantment many feel about the scene and it's obsession with nostalgia rather than the music.

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

I wise man once said; ' never judge a man by the width of his trousers''. The clobber does get jumped on perhaps unfairly, but it's perhaps symbolic of the disenchantment many feel about the scene and it's obsession with nostalgia rather than the music.

I take that point, just think the vest and baggies thing gets over used. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I guess that we really need to accept that what we, or possibly I, remember of the scene ( 72-79) no longer exists its a far different place BUT at least some still try to keep the fires burning hence a lot of the north of England stick to the old ways . Then  sometimes or most times to be more accurate, the regular Joe/ media  get involved and get it  horribly wrong! But hey ho we got a mention and I guess that counts for something.

Social source share

On 08/06/2022 at 10:18, Chalky said:

The scene never comes out of anything like this looking good.  Whenever the scene is put on show it just comes across as naff with ageing people who think they can still dance looking frankly silly rather than the athletic dancer they should be dressed in clothes that make them look like some sort of naff act rather than a serious underground cool music scene.  I know it hasn't been cool for a long time, its long since been hijacked by divs and wallies wanting their 15 minutes of fame turning the scene into the parody it is, the kind of people we went to nighters to get away from.

I know people work hard on these things and I know the organisers can only work with what they are presented with but as usual it turned into one big div fest with the naffest choice of songs.  One of the great music scenes of any generation made to look totally naff once more.  And to top it off we are now tainted as being some sort of nazi group.

Couldn't agree more. I cringe when I see folks in their 60's and 70's in spencer bags and vests 'getting down'. Don't get me wrong It's great that they keep loving the music and dancing but please no videos on YTUBE or Dancing in the town square to a ghetto blaster...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!