Tami Lynn-'I'm gonna run away from you'/'You my love'

Kenb

JM's Tami Lynn auction EP sparked a recollection that might interest some of you.

In Joel Selvin's book "Here Comes The Night" the discography of the A & R recordings Oct 30, 1964 lists 'You My Love' (aka 'Run Away') as one of the unissued 4 part recordings. (was it Keb who covered it up, i can' remember?). Anyhow...Joel also goes on to say [sic]"six years after the release of 'I'm Gonna Run Away From You', John Abbey gave Bern's production a slight revision and the record went Top 5 in the UK in 1971.

Joel also goes on to say [sic] "the stereo version of IGRAFY on Cotillion 1972  LP9052, has her second vocal and male backgroung missing and instead has 3 members of The Angels overdubbed in NY on Feb 10th, 1965.

Social source share

I don’t recall it being covered up but it got plenty of plays at the 100 Club in the 90’s - might have been Greg or Shifty who spun it regularly?

You My Love is a brilliant track and the EP really hard to find, so it’s odd that John Manship hasn’t led with this as the auction soundbite.

I’ll dig out the Cotillion version sometime to compare it with the Atco track so thanks for the heads-up.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Huge spin for Keb Darge at the 100 Club in the 80s…

A lost decade for me as I only started going to the 100 Club roundabout 1990... Fortunately there were plenty of LP’s and then CD’s to keep the flames burning. Since then, Keb has sold his records about three times, but his influence back then and even nowadays is undeniable.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 10/06/2022 at 09:49, Kenb said:

Joel also goes on to say [sic] "the stereo version of IGRAFY on Cotillion 1972  LP9052, has her second vocal and male backgroung missing and instead has 3 members of The Angels overdubbed in NY on Feb 10th, 1965.

Here's the version he's referring to - 

• Up vote 1
  • Listening now 1
Social source share

On 14/06/2022 at 18:35, The Yank said:

Here's the version he's referring to - 

This certainly isn't the version I heard on the radio back in the day.  Not only is the instrumental a lot weaker, but Tammy seems to be tired and disinterested.  Good thing this wasn't the version they plugged and went commercial.  It would have died instantly.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Bit late to the topic yes as said above Was a Big Old Keb spin in the 80s played of a  acetate I think .It sounded loud and Proud down the 100 Club  .When I found my French EP copy was disappointed as didnt matter how much fiddling about it still sounded low in the mix so ended up getting rid of .Shame as I love it and it will always be Run away to me

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!