Buying Records

Paulb

Whats the best way to start getting into buying record. I have recently been given about twenty singles off Dave Ferguson from burnley and that has made me want to get into the old collecting game. But my knowledge of lables and prices, etc, is zero.

Anyone got any tips?

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Whats the best way to start getting into buying record. I have recently been given about twenty singles off Dave Ferguson from burnley and that has made me want to get into the old collecting game. But my knowledge of lables and prices, etc, is zero.

Anyone got any tips?

link

Best advice I can give If there's something you fancy and your not sure ask, no matter how trivial, plenty of help and advice on here and other sites. Other than that follow your heart as Bunny Siglerr Would Say.

IMO there's a mountian of cheap quality collectabe soul out there, don't just look for the "next big thing" all the time. Ok buying big money records but todays cheapies are tomorrows hard to find expensive records :wicked:

Also IMO the current prices cannot be sustained forever, there's gonna be a crash one day. You only have to look round the record bars and you just don't see the youngsters buying records, mainly 30/35 plus. One day the "old uns" are gonna have to sell unless they are gonna take them with them :thumbsup:

Social source share

I get a lot of ebay mainly cheeper originals the stuff that i liked years ago with the exchange rate being so good theres some real bargins to be had but you have to serch hard, for the more common titles just type northern soul in the serch bar, all i would sergest is you dont jump in sit back and watch for a while and see what the records you want are going for and when you see a bargin go for it If its the more expensive stuff you are after use a reputable dealer ther are plenty on hear in the sales section . As Chalkey says if in doubt ask, some one will put you right. Good luck and happy hunting :thumbsup:

Social source share

Paul, get out and about mate, meet people, listen to things being played and ask the dj the name if you didn't know it (or the old bald guy drinking beer next to you :thumbsup: ). Also ask any new friends for a tape swap(found this invaluable over the last 24 years).

Chalky is so right , there is a myriad of affordable 45's out there.....be lucky

Brett

Social source share

DON'T DO IT!!! :) Only kidding... agree with what everyone else says - eBay can be great for cheapies but watch out for getting into bidding wars... when I started it was where I got everything but had most of my better records and better bargains off sales lists, people on forums, sales boxes... most importantly ask questions, be patient and buy what you want not what other people tell you you should wink.gif

Rach

Social source share

I would also recommend going through the sounds on www.soulclub.org. If you find something you like go and find if it is within your price range.

I would also spend some time asking the dealers at events to recommend some cheap 45s. Most will have a vestax/portable player for you to have a listen.

There are plenty of good 45s around £10/£15 each.

Can someone on here revive the old thread from a few months back which listed lots and lots of good cheap 45s?

Shane

Social source share

first buy a bootleg guide then a price guide to stop you getting ripped off , check out the soulgirls website and find sounds you like.

dont buy records in poor / vg condition buy the best you can find as you maywant to trade them on later on ie 1 mint record at £30 is better that 3 knackered ones at a tenner

buy what you like not whats worth money or hyped up

dont discount albums thay often have good tracks and can be a way of having rare tracks on originals

dont believe what all dealers tell you as some will rip you off but theres some bloody good dealers out there.

if a record looks too good to be true and is at a price you think is too good to be true then it may be a boot check before

ask people , ask again then ask someone else if you want to know thinks

Social source share

Paul, get out and about mate, meet people, listen to things being played and ask the dj the name if you didn't know it (or the old bald guy drinking beer next to you  ). Also ask any new friends for a tape swap(found this invaluable over the last 24 years).

Chalky is so right , there is a myriad of affordable 45's out there.....be lucky

Brett

Lots of venues have records for sale. At some places might just be a few small boxes at others several record dealers, depends where you go. If you check out the events list and see somewhere you might want to try, you can always ask on here if there's likely to be records at that venue.

Some record dealers have tapes or cd's of records they have for sale. So you can get some ideas of sounds that way, often a charge for the cd/tape. Joining one of the audio groups means you can also get audio files downloaded, try ktfaudio on yahoo groups

Gaye.

Social source share

Anyone got any tips?

link

Only buy records you like. Bollocks to how rare and all that shit. Just buy the stuff you like within your price range. Get tapes off people who share your passion and who ain't trying to do a deal on you. Don't buy something just because everyone is chasing it.

Social source share

Only buy records you like. Bollocks to how rare and all that shit. Just buy the stuff you like within your price range. Get tapes off people who share your passion and who ain't trying to do a deal on you. Don't buy something just because everyone is chasing it.

link

Bang on wink.gif

That is still my yardstick today

Look on soulclub as well I'm still finding things on there :)

Let's get that cheap sounds thread reactivatied.

Social source share

link

Spot on :)

There is also vitually no need to buy blind, although can be good if you get a good 'un. Apart from the really rare and current sets from top DJ's most stuff is available in one format or other.

Social source share

first buy a bootleg guide then a price guide to stop you getting ripped off ,

dont believe what all dealers tell you as some will rip you off but theres some bloody good dealers out there.

link

possibly the one and same dealer :P

My first post on this forum was for suggestions on cheap originals, got lots of response. I then made a list, problem is I keep adding to it! Also you could sign up to email lists, like our old friends Pete S, Andy Dyson, Henry Atkinson, Pat Brady, Adey Pierce and others do. I understand Pete S is like John Lewis Stores - Never Knowingly Undersold! :)rolleyes.gif

Social source share

The best way to collect IMHO is to get sales tapes - and from these collate a list of records to keep an eye out for. Price guides are obviously handy too, and there's a couple of those about.

Just an opinion: one of the worst things to do as a novice collector is to phone dealers and ask them to recommend stuff to you. 9 times out of 10 the dealer will attempt to shift stuff onto you which isn't rare, valuable, collectable or just plain 'good'. I know there are exceptions to the rule - Andy Dyson comes to mind ( a great source of quality cheap records) - but more often than not you'll just get records you can't shift later.

Hammy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!