Soul labels

Would you agree that before the major labels “bought up” the soul music in early/ mid 70s, one can roughly divide the soul music issued on 1) (both small and bigger) independent labels, 2) smaller “mom-and-pop” labels, and 3) “private” pressings done by artists themselves?

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I would think there's:

the major labels

The large independent labels (Motown / Brunswick / Chess / Scepter / I am not sure of all the labels that would qualify, we could debate, Motown probably needs to be treated separately)

the bigger local independent labels (I am thinking labels like Arctic & Phil-la of Soul since I am near Philadelphia, but others that are similar)

the mom & pop / local labels with a handful of releases (I like the thought of a group or artist recording in the back or basement of a hair salon, which I read some where)

private press I am not sure about, would need some examples (unless you mean the package deals that some studios had where paying for the session would also get the artist a 45 on the studio's label, like my neighbor's brothers band)

Social source share

Thanks Djr! 

I found an earlier discussion about "private press" here: 

I like the explanation from Razadesoul: "A private pressing is not an indie label, exactly. Its a record pressed by the band/artist. Usually a a private press "record label" is generic and is 100% funded and released by the band/artist, and never bothers signing other acts. This is what makes private press different from an indie label press. An indie label signs multiple acts and strives to become a bigger label. A private press is just a band or artist that is not gonna wait around for a label and self fund their own music."

Edited by Tommy1
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!