Value please

7 hours ago, Rictic60 said:

Hi what would be the going price for The Volumes-just cant help myself on American Arts demo in vg++

Thanks in advance

Before find which one is yours as there are 4 demo variants for it ! Involving 3 pressing plants ! Now I believe the black demo being the rarest (Shelley Products pressing plant).

Then the 2 white demos with thin typos for the credits. One with red imprint and another with black imprint. Both are the most seen variations IME (Columbia Terre Haute pressing plant I believe).

Then finally the white demo with a thick typos which is a West Coast pressing I believe (no Monarch stamp though FWIW but all leads to that) on glossy paper.

Price or value could vary accordingly (£100 - £200+). Condition though IME would prove more crucial. A rare company sleeve with it a serious bonus to consider for value !

1534099486_Capturedecran2022-06-25a23_54_16.thumb.png.cc215025c9d64655f8e8ca8e4d304918.png

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Then finally the white demo with a thick typos which is a West Coast pressing I believe (no Monarch stamp though FWIW but all leads to that) on glossy paper.

1534099486_Capturedecran2022-06-25a23_54_16.thumb.png.cc215025c9d64655f8e8ca8e4d304918.png

My demo is the same as the 4th copy shown- it is a West Coast press and does have a delta # though-

Social source share

49 minutes ago, Rictic60 said:

Thank you mines the third pic it would be a VG++ but has a little water damage on the B side

If your VG++ is like an EX+ then £150 to £175 I believe is a fair price for both parties. The red variant was often sold as a 'rarer' variant. Then so was the stocker when the trend was going for that (none of which is that true IME but both are seller's arguments). I doubt the black promo should prove of greater intrest in value though...

My preference goes for the presumed Monarch pressing (like for most collectors I believe) and should command a bit more in my book. The stocker counterpart for that pressing is also prized and smashing. The Mint factor for this loved record from day one should take it's price tag to higher grounds as those are the rarer ones about.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Always thought is was an odd record.

Never heard it played out before soul bowl was selling them for about £8 brand new. I had one around that time.

Great tune and group. Glad it's gained value.

Ed

Instant love struck for me. With time the flip 'one way lover' became the reccurrent play side home and occasionaly out as well for a less "frantic" (ain't that saying a lot) and a 'finer' vocal harmonies performance.

If value should be based only on "beauty" (pedigree of names involved) of a record and it's "musicality" (what "rare" soul sounds are/can be) this record would be sitting high in the 'classified' ranks. In my own 'ranks' it is.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Yes but they did not press styrene pressings at Alco I believe. Or did they ?

I believe they did only press vinyl, I just used them as an example, there were others too.  Strange if it is a Monarch press there is no MR.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

3 hours ago, Chalky said:

I believe they did only press vinyl, I just used them as an example, there were others too.  Strange if it is a Monarch press there is no MR.

Pre mid 1965 (the Volumes here is March 1965) the machined MR in circle was apparently just not existing yet. By 1966 it was that I know. Am yet to find when it began by mid 1965 more or less...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

Pre mid 1965 (the Volumes here is March 1965) the machined MR in circle was apparently just not existing yet. By 1966 it was that I know. Am yet to find when it began by mid 1965 more or less...

I thought it was earlier than mid 65 when the stamp came in

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I thought it was earlier than mid 65 when the stamp came in

Could be. Not able  to reach all my records at this moment but was going on the net by well known label like A&M and Omen (who also had those glossy labels) and found on Omen Brice Coefield with the MR stamp matrix but no before Omen releases... Although the Sequins on A&M (February 1965) appears to have the MR stamp...

Social source share

25 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Could be. Not able  to reach all my records at this moment but was going on the net by well known label like A&M and Omen (who also had those glossy labels) and found on Omen Brice Coefield with the MR stamp matrix but no before Omen releases... Although the Sequins on A&M (February 1965) appears to have the MR stamp...

one on Highland from 62 with M in a circle

Social source share

Not sure if mine is a demo or not my memory is fading with age ( comes to us all )... I am currently in the throes of moving house so can't really check at the moment but the one thing that sticks out for me is it's a black label and mis-pressed it reads just can't help myself on both labels but the flip plays one way lover🤨

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!