The Gabriels at Glastonbury

Chas

1st got an airing and great reception at upfront venues a couple of years ago as a new release that quickly sold out  (12’’ only). Great to see its now getting wider appeal & plays , helped I guess by the availability of more recent reissue on coloured vinyl  . 

Edited by Andybellwood
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

A yone know who the backing vocalists were? I'm always interested to know that and can't find the info anywhere. Any help much appreciated!

BTW......Jacob reminds me of the late, great David Peaston in so many Ways.

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

46 minutes ago, Mark R said:

A yone know who the backing vocalists were? I'm always interested to know that and can't find the info anywhere. Any help much appreciated!

BTW......Jacob reminds me of the late, great David Peaston in so.many Ways.

Cheers,

Mark R

I had the same thought and quickly dug out 'Can I' to have a listen

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Wasn't watching Glastonbury as I was down in the London Stadium with Anthony , John , Chad and Flea ... :thumbup:

But it was their backing band actually gave the performance of the evening though ... "Anderson .Paak and the Free Nationals"

Superb funky soulful dancers every one ...  if you get the chance go see them ....  :wink:

Social source share

2 hours ago, Kenb said:

I feel the same about Kendrick Lamar..opinions hey, there a bugger.

More Today Than Yesterday, who on this earth told her that it was a better choice than say Do I Love You , blue eyed Northern Soul / Beach Music classic ,the look on about 99% of the audience faces was what's this ? ,I retired to the mancave before I was sent there ,pants

Social source share

I also thought Lianne La Havas was excellent. I think she has got a very distinctive voice. 

I cringed watching Diana Ross though. Fair play, she is a legend, has hit the songbook and had the crowd joining in......but at age 78 she was struggling to hit some notes and was out of key most of the time. 

Social source share

The whole performance by the Gabriels, which lasts about 40 minutes, is now available on BBC I-player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ej34mb/play/avqn6q/p0c8yk3s

A great variety of styles, but well worth watching to the end, with Jacob Lusk giving a powerful performance of The  Way We Were (best since John Edwards, Willie Hutch and Gladys Knight of course); a medley with "You Were Supposed To Love Me"(?).

And here is his American Idol version of You're All I Need To Get By from 2011.

Social source share

20 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

Wasn't watching Glastonbury as I was down in the London Stadium with Anthony , John , Chad and Flea ... :thumbup:

But it was their backing band actually gave the performance of the evening though ... "Anderson .Paak and the Free Nationals"

Superb funky soulful dancers every one ...  if you get the chance go see them ....  :wink:

Anderson.Paak is a class act, check the LP's out! 👍

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 26/06/2022 at 20:02, Soulfusion said:

Just caught a bit of Diana Ross at Glasto. Unfortunately one word - embarrassing.

I would add a second word, unsurprisingly.  Lets face it she never had a great voice, therefore time will only diminish it.   

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...
On 25/06/2022 at 18:36, Source said:

BBC have pulled the whole Gabriels performance at Glastonbury, I wonder if anyone knows how I can get hold of the coverage, its not on youtube, or if anyone was able to secure it in any way? Feel free to message me if you can help? Ta, Lee

Social source share

31 minutes ago, Ted Massey said:

They were on Jools Holland sometime ago playing Love and Hate. I played it at the Weymouth weekender in September last year  

To be honest Ted I don't pay much attention to current music, Northern has me in its grip 😂 and when I do its mixed, Jack Johnson, Mikah, Kylie (only joking bout her) and some others that will remain nameless so I don't embarrass myself further, but when I watched the Gabriels I was straight onto the style, brilliant, loved it. 

I thought some of their other tracks were better (marginally) than Love and Hate, but liked it too. I for one will pick up their CD release on Sep 30, but probably need to buy a CD player to get over the next hurdle 😧

Hope you're well ✊ 

Social source share

4 hours ago, Soulfulsolutions said:

To be honest Ted I don't pay much attention to current music, Northern has me in its grip 😂 and when I do its mixed, Jack Johnson, Mikah, Kylie (only joking bout her) and some others that will remain nameless so I don't embarrass myself further, but when I watched the Gabriels I was straight onto the style, brilliant, loved it. 

I thought some of their other tracks were better (marginally) than Love and Hate, but liked it too. I for one will pick up their CD release on Sep 30, but probably need to buy a CD player to get over the next hurdle 😧

Hope you're well ✊ 

I’m fine Lee back at you.  joking about Kylie but take a look at her agent provocateur video on you tube 😂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!