The Ritz , Brighouse Friday Feb. 16th

" Je Sounds Frontiers " .......

Roccia , the pride of Italy Roccia at The Ritz ....... He came , He played , He conquered .

Confessing to me that he was extremely nerveous before his first spot , you would have never guessed it during it . The passion for the music overcame those nerves , and showed as he played to a packed - and very appreciative - floor for that first spot , which ended in a well deserved and enthusiastic / lengthy round of applause from both the dancers and the people around the dancefloor .

We , your English fanclub , knew you would do the business . Roccia , you are a top man :lol:

Malc Burton

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

First time at Brighouse for at least three months but was very impressed with the European Unions contribution to the night. All in all an excellent night with a good crowd in. How much longer have we got at the Ritz before I have to bring the hacksaw in for a piece of dancefloor :thumbsup:

Dave

First time at Brighouse for at least three months but was very impressed with the European Unions contribution to the night. All in all an excellent night with a good crowd in. How much longer have we got at the Ritz before I have to bring the hacksaw in for a piece of dancefloor :thumbsup:

Dave

No chance with the dancefloor , Dave .....

I have heard it is going on eBay - no joke - and will be sold to the highest bidder .

Ginger told me on Friday that it is still up in the air as far as a date for closure ; so until then it will be business as usual .

Malc Burton

Slow internet connection at home. More pictures will follow tomorrow from the office...

395706624_1b1af8eb16.jpg

Ever since I saw the photo above , it is been puzzling me who Ginger now looks like .....

Put a ' tache ( has to be grey ) back on him , and who have you got .......

The UK's favourite ventriloquist - Roger De Courcey !

Only joking mate , love you to death .

Malc Burton

What can I say? Best venue I ever been, best atmosphere, best people, best music (Ginger's Eddie Parker on Awake and Duke Browner on Impact on top of the list), best dancers, best everything...!!!

Ginger is the top host you can ask for, and I had the chance to meet some good friends i can't see so often... Playing my records on front of so many punters is a real emotion, and I have to say thanks again to Mr. Taylor to give me the chance of a DJ spot at the Ritz...

For a new kid on the scene (and a foreigner) as I am, it has been a great honour and pleasure, to be guesting at the Yorkshire's n°1 soul night...

I was very happy to see there so many friends: Ginger, Sean & Michelle, Malc Burton, Dukesy & Julie, Gary & Susan, Stubbs, Alan & Linda, Stevie, Rosa, and many more... You're all in my heart!

Here's what I've played, surely not in order, but... who cares...?

Sam Dees "Lonely For You Baby" (SSS International)

Herb Ward "Strange Change" (Argo)

Seven Souls "I Still Love You" (Italian CBS - promo)

John Bowie "You're Gonna Miss A Good Thing (Baby)" (Merben)

Ringleaders "Baby What Has Happened To Our Love" (M-Pac)

Carol & Gerri "On Your Heartache Looks Good" (MGM demo)

Imaginations "Strange Neighbourhood" (Fraternity demo)

Tony Clarke "(They Call Me) A Wrong Man" (M-S)

Natural Four "I Tought You Were Mine" (Abc)

Cajun Hart "Got To Find A Way" (WB demo)

Silky Hargraves "Keep Loving Me (Like You Do)" (Dearborn demo)

Patrice Holloway "Stolen Hours" (Capitol)

Tony Middleton "Paris Blues" (Mala)

Jimmy McFarland "Lonely Lover" (RPR demo)

Jimmy Fraser "Of Hopes And Dreams And Tombstones" (Columbia demo)

Mickie Champion "What Good Am I" (Musette)

Big Daddy Rogers "I'm A Big Man" (Midas)

Wade Flemons "Jeanette" (Ramsel)

Cliff Nobles "My Love Is Getting Stronger" (Atlantic)

Edward Hamilton & The Arabians "Baby Don't You Weep" (Mary Jane)

Van Dykes "Save My Love For A Rainy Day" (Mala demo)

Charades "The Key To My Happiness" (MGM)

Frank Beverly & The Butlers "If That's What You Wanted" (Sassy)

Tan Geers "Let My Heart And Soul Be Free" (Okeh demo)

Eddie Spencer "If This Is Love (I'd Rather Be Lonely)" (Arc)

Don Thomas "Come On Train" (NUVJ)

We were planning a LTSC allnighter here in Pisa with Ginger as a guest, but unfortunately the date of 10th of March has been cancelled. I'm trying to sort the thing out, and find another date later. News on here asap...

Edited by Roccia

Sam Dees "Lonely For You Baby" (SSS International)

Herb Ward "Strange Change" (Argo)

Seven Souls "I Still Love You" (Italian CBS - promo)

John Bowie "You're Gonna Miss A Good Thing (Baby)" (Merben)

Ringleaders "Baby What Has Happened To Our Love" (M-Pac)

Carol & Gerri "On Your Heartache Looks Good" (MGM demo)

Imaginations "Strange Neighbourhood" (Fraternity demo)

Tony Clarke "(They Call Me) A Wrong Man" (M-S)

Natural Four "I Tought You Were Mine" (Abc)

Cajun Hart "Got To Find A Way" (WB demo)

Silky Hargraves "Keep Loving Me (Like You Do)" (Dearborn demo)

Patrice Holloway "Stolen Hours" (Capitol)

Tony Middleton "Paris Blues" (Mala)

Jimmy McFarland "Lonely Lover" (RPR demo)

Jimmy Fraser "Of Hopes And Dreams And Tombstones" (Columbia demo)

Mickie Champion "What Good Am I" (Musette)

Big Daddy Rogers "I'm A Big Man" (Midas)

Wade Flemons "Jeanette" (Ramsel)

Cliff Nobles "My Love Is Getting Stronger" (Atlantic)

Edward Hamilton & The Arabians "Baby Don't You Weep" (Mary Jane)

Van Dykes "Save My Love For A Rainy Day" (Mala demo)

Charades "The Key To My Happiness" (MGM)

Frank Beverly & The Butlers "If That's What You Wanted" (Sassy)

Tan Geers "Let My Heart And Soul Be Free" (Okeh demo)

Eddie Spencer "If This Is Love (I'd Rather Be Lonely)" (Arc)

Don Thomas "Come On Train" (NUVJ)

If anyone else had posted up that playlist i'd be thinking to myself what a lazy,uninspiring looking set BUT with you somehow it's different, Roccia.

It's different because i know you have a passion for each & everyone of those records, you're not buying them to say look at me i've got some expensive tunes you are buying them for the right reasons & that shines through when you play them at a venue or when you talk about them on here.

I'm not surprised you blew them away at The Ritz because there's a real important part of djing that people forget, people need to believe in your passion to be able to dance to your records, you need a vibe between dj & audience & you have very obviously got that.

I'm pleased that someone with your commitment & passion is getting a chance to play, keep on keeping on!

Simon :thumbsup:

If anyone else had posted up that playlist i'd be thinking to myself what a lazy,uninspiring looking set BUT with you somehow it's different, Roccia.

It's different because i know you have a passion for each & everyone of those records, you're not buying them to say look at me i've got some expensive tunes you are buying them for the right reasons & that shines through when you play them at a venue or when you talk about them on here.

I'm not surprised you blew them away at The Ritz because there's a real important part of djing that people forget, people need to believe in your passion to be able to dance to your records, you need a vibe between dj & audience & you have very obviously got that.

I'm pleased that someone with your commitment & passion is getting a chance to play, keep on keeping on!

Simon :thumbup:

Si, thanks for your kind words. You know that I'm into the traditional side of soul music, and despite I'm from a deep south European country, I'm very "northern" in spirit and musical tastes... Plus, Brighouse has a long time tradition in oldies, and I think this was the reason cuz Ginger gave me the call, after a word spent for me from Sean Chapman - bless them both...

Ciao

Roccia

Si, thanks for your kind words. You know that I'm into the traditional side of soul music, and despite I'm from a deep south European country, I'm very "northern" in spirit and musical tastes... Plus, Brighouse has a long time tradition in oldies, and I think this was the reason cuz Ginger gave me the call, after a word spent for me from Sean Chapman - bless them both...

Ciao

Roccia

Ciao il Roccia grande del daddy ....

La ricezione che avete ricevuto dalla folla brighouse e stato meritato bene :

Accredtamento dove l'accreditamento e dovuto !

Malc Burton

Ciao il Roccia grande del daddy ....

La ricezione che avete ricevuto dalla folla brighouse e stato meritato bene :

Accredtamento dove l'accreditamento e dovuto !

Malc Burton

:P:D:Dlaugh.gif:thumbsup:

Malc, that tranlation program should be updated...

Tnx anyway...

Roccia

laugh.gif:rolleyes::rolleyes::wicked::shhh:

Tnx anyway...

Roccia

Hi Roccia ...

That translation programme is supposed to be Yahoo's finest ..... so blame them .

Bugger the Italian then - I'll go for yorkshire : " it were a reet Gradely turn tha did on t'stage at Ginger's do "

Malc Burton

Roccia certainly knows how to turn the floor on doesn't he :unsure:

It is a pity that Roccia is not based here in the UK .

Top Tunes , Top Spots , Top Man . :thumbsup:

Malc Burton

THE CORNER POCKET is back on April 21st .......

Get Ready For The Get Down .

The Corner Pocket @ The Majestic suite , Mexborough , South Yorkshire .

Info : Malc Burton 07748 378275 / e-mail : burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

Edited by Malc Burton

:thumbsup::unsure::):lol::lol:

Roccia,

Malc's Italian is better than yours at the last New Year's Eve Scooter Party, that's for sure!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

ciao!!!!

Barbara

Simon thumbsup.gif

Not being funny Simon, but why is Roccia any different than anyone who might have played that spot? We all love the music with a passion.

(Having said that I think I know what you mean!)

ATB :rolleyes:

Brian

what a load of tosh.... you say that its a lazy uninspiring spot....but coz the guy comes from italy its ok.... lets all stop pissing up his back.& hailing him as the new messiah of northern soul, its an average run of the mill oldies spot,

what a load of tosh.... you say that its a lazy uninspiring spot....but coz the guy comes from italy its ok.... lets all stop pissing up his back.& hailing him as the new messiah of northern soul, its an average run of the mill oldies spot,

Guest Simon

Why's it a load of tosh, i know Roccia & i know that he's worked hard to obtain that record collection & i also know he doesn't buy those records just to be trendy or to blindly follow the pack like a lot of others do, that is why i made those comments, i'm not sure what Italy has got to do with anything either.

Noone is hailing him as the messiah just saying that the guy has passion whereas others who may play a similar spot are doing it for different reasons imho.

Simon

Guest Jamie

I disagree with that wholeheartedly.

If you tried to be Mr Progressive at Brighouse you empty the floor. FACT.

I've seen Tim Brown empty the place in a second, and keep it empty for nearly his full spot.

From Roccia's playlist, IMHO, gave the punters what they wanted and what they expected.

It's all about cutting the cloth accordingly and tailoring to the venue.

Have a think about it.....

Jamie

I've seen Tim Brown empty the place in a second, and keep it empty for nearly his full spot.

From Roccia's playlist, IMHO, gave the punters what they wanted and what they expected.

Jamie

have to agree,if anyone ,anywhere fill the dance floor ,at a place as big as the ritz cant be doing all wrong

Why's it a load of tosh, i know Roccia & i know that he's worked hard to obtain that record collection & i also know he doesn't buy those records just to be trendy or to blindly follow the pack like a lot of others do, that is why i made those comments, i'm not sure what Italy has got to do with anything either.

Noone is hailing him as the messiah just saying that the guy has passion whereas others who may play a similar spot are doing it for different reasons imho.

Simon

i should imagine he has worked hard to get those records, as do most people,..... as for saying he plays them with passion, does that mean if someone else played the same 20 records without passion they would sound different ????

have to agree,if anyone ,anywhere fill the dance floor ,at a place as big as the ritz cant be doing all wrong

lets be right here....anyone with 20 records from kev roberts top 500 book could fill the dance floor at the ritz, doesn't take much imagination does it

lets be right here....anyone with 20 records from kev roberts top 500 book could fill the dance floor at the ritz, doesn't take much imagination does it

In which case whats the problem?.....fill floor ! good night,venue stays open....not fill floor,bad night

venues closes!.... :lol:

Guest Roccia

Jamie

Thanks Jamie :lol: It looks clear to my eyes: in a place like the Ritz, the punters are expecting an "oldie" playlist... Nothing more, nothing less... Probably Ginger called me 'cos he knows my tastes, my playlists, my attitude, etc... He tought I could be the right man in the right place...

I have to admit I'm definitely not "Mr. Progressive". I like the traditional northern soul sound... is it a sin...?

I'm not a discoverer, not a inovator, and less again a Messiah... I'm just a guy who loves to spin some records and make people dance. I'm trying to be an entertainer, not an artist.

Roccia

Edited by Roccia

Thanks Jamie :unsure: It looks clear to my eyes: in a place like the Ritz, the punters are expecting an "oldie" playlist... Nothing more, nothing less... Probably Ginger called me 'cos he knows my tastes, my playlists, my attitude, etc... He tought I could be the right man in the right place...

I have to admit I'm definitely not "Mr. Progressive". I like the traditional northern soul sound... is it a sin...?

I'm not a discoverer, not a inovator, and less again a Messiah... I'm just a guy who loves to spin some records and make people dance. I'm trying to be an entertainer, not an artist.

Roccia

My Dear Friend Roccia :

You do not have to try to be an entertainer : it comes naturally to you when you are behind the decks .

Big Daddy Roccia : Keep On Keeping On . :ohmy:

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton

f*** me !!!!!! who do you work for ?? the diplomatic corps ?? cant say i'm a big fan of "oldies" venues, drax & brighouse being two venues i particularly dislike, but i would say roccias spot was perfect for brighouse, horses for courses and all that, ive been to rimini weekender for the last 5 years running & roccia & the rest of the italian crowd make us feel more than wellcome, maybe you should try to do the same, christ...its people like you who give us english such a bad name, i just hope roccia doesnt think that you are representitive of the rest of us,

Guest Simon

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...

Guest Roccia

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...

Simon, the only link I would have with the Messiah, is the big crucified skin tattooed on my chest... Does it count...? :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Roccia

Guest Jamie

Thanks Jamie :thumbsup: It looks clear to my eyes: in a place like the Ritz, the punters are expecting an "oldie" playlist... Nothing more, nothing less... Probably Ginger called me 'cos he knows my tastes, my playlists, my attitude, etc... He tought I could be the right man in the right place...

Roccia

No worries :thumbsup:

Like everyone else has mentioned, you played the spot to suit the venue :shades:

If I had played there, I would have done just the same.

Some people take it far too seriously :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jamie :thumbsup:

p.s. I'm getting married in Lucca next July and we're having my stag do in Pisa - any tips on where to go?

Guest Ste Brazil

...because they are still great records, and because the majority go out to dance to the music rather than sit there criticizing the DJ and those who are dancing and actually enjoying the evening!!! Northern soul should be exciting, the day that all clubs become the dull train spotter's havens is the day it dies in my opinion. I love clubs like Soulsville - R.I.P. :thumbsup: where i get to hear new sounds, but i also love allnighters at places like Stoke and the recent Blackpool weekender - superb venues, fantastic atmosphere and music - how it SHOULD be.

Ste.

No worries :thumbsup:

Like everyone else has mentioned, you played the spot to suit the venue :thumbsup:

If I had played there, I would have done just the same.

Some people take it far too seriously :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jamie :thumbsup:

p.s. I'm getting married in Lucca next July and we're having my stag do in Pisa - any tips on where to go?

Check if the Leaning Tower Soul Club or Black Trefoil Soul Club have a night on in or around Pisa ; that will solve your problem , as you will be guaranteed a good time .

Malc Burton

Guest Ste Brazil

...because they are still great records, and because the majority go out to dance to the music rather than sit there criticizing the DJ and those who are dancing and actually enjoying the evening!!! Northern soul should be exciting, the day that all clubs become the dull train spotter's havens is the day it dies in my opinion. I love clubs like Soulsville - R.I.P. :thumbsup: where i get to hear new sounds, but i also love allnighters at places like Stoke and the recent Blackpool weekender - superb venues, fantastic atmosphere and music - how it SHOULD be.

Ste.

...Oh, and not forgetting the recent - and last ever :thumbsup: - Cleethorpes winter gardens alldayer - if only all soul nights could be like that...

Ste.

Guest marco i

Check if the Leaning Tower Soul Club or Black Trefoil Soul Club have a night on in or around Pisa ; that will solve your problem , as you will be guaranteed a good time .

Malc Burton

Next do for the Black Trefoil is June 2nd in Genova and it will be the last until next Autumn... July is far too hot for our venue :thumbsup:

Cheers, Marco

Guest Jamie

Next do for the Black Trefoil is June 2nd in Genova and it will be the last until next Autumn... July is far too hot for our venue :thumbsup:

Cheers, Marco

Hi Marco,

Will all the 'Soul' venues around that area be closed July 7th next year?

Cheers,

Jamie

Next do for the Black Trefoil is June 2nd in Genova and it will be the last until next Autumn... July is far too hot for our venue :rolleyes:

Cheers, Marco

Hi Marco .....

Please e-mail me your address my friend , so that I can send you the CDs I promised .

burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

Love to Barbara

Malc Burton

Guest marco i

Hi Marco,

Will all the 'Soul' venues around that area be closed July 7th next year?

Cheers,

Jamie

The following weekend there will be the Rimini Soul Weekender (13-15 July) and being that the only Italian weekender usually there are no soul nights the previous Saturday.

Anyway I'm sure that Roccia will be able to arrange something in Pisa if you get a good number of UK soulies down there on a Saturday :rolleyes:

Cheers, Marco

Guest Roccia

Jamie, that's good...! PM me, we can arrange a little soul do in a pub or somewhere else, if you fancy it...

Why Lucca...?

Roccia

Source Advert