Anyone Heard Of Dicky Williams?

Obscure blues/soul guy from North Carolina, has been putting out records since 1960 (on Vin, Ace & I'm sure loads of others) through 1995 (Ichiban). He's hilariously raunchy (his two "hits" are "Come Back Pussy" and "The Same Motel" - about a guy who goes to a motel to cheat on his wife but hears her in the next room having sex with someone else - "uh-oh!"). Some of his 90's records (In Your Face, I Want You For Breakfast) are full of synths, and there's one track on Red Negligee, White Whiskey and Blue Lights that's downright disco! He's also had a gazillion singles over the years that I'm collecting info on, even if I don't necessarily need to own them all... yet!

Not to blow my own horn or anything, but I made a little fan site on Dicky here.. check it out if you want to know more. Also I am really curious to know what he's up to these days - hasn't had a record released since '95. Maybe he's dead?? Does anyone know?

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've got the following 45s by him:

1975 - ACE 3007 - You Got A Good Thing Going / Two Women

19__ - BACKFIRE 4258 - In The Same Motel / Ride The Wind

19__ - BAD 1003 - In The Same Motel / Don't Give Your Love (To Anyone Else)

Despite its release date, the Ace 45 sounds like a late 60s recording and "You Got..." is great storming northern.

If you need the Backfire and Bad 45s, let me know and we'll work something out.

Social source share

If you need the Backfire and Bad 45s, let me know and we'll work something out.

Oh man, the Backfire is extremely tempting... I bet it's from ca. 78 or so, that was when he was on that label. How is "Ride the Wind"?

(In the) Same Motel has been released about 50 times, including on two different albums 4 years apart. Not sure if these are different versions or not though... here's the 1986 version (downconverted to save space).

Edited by roesmoker
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert