Label Mistakes the factory didn't spot

I was looking at the Freddie C sale/auction listing. I notice that on the B side, "Baby I'm Sorry" it reads "Baby 1'm Sorry". 

They used a number 1 instead on a capital "i". This made it through from demo to issue.

I'd never noticed this before. Any others that I should have noticed? ( I'm sure there are some famous one's)

Cheers

KB

Scan_20220701.png

Edited by Bo Diddley
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

15 hours ago, The Yank said:

Here's a few more. The Seeburg Spotlight Band's title should read "Nowhere To Run" and the Jr. Walker has the title as two words and the group has a new name- 

SSB.jpg

Jr..jpg

I know what a "shotgun" is.  But, I can't remember ever seeing that record's title as one single word.  

Social source share

2 hours ago, Bo Diddley said:

Now that took me a few looks to spot "the the" error!

Owned this for maybe 40+ years, played it countless times as it's a major favourite of mine and until five minutes ago I had never noticed the the mistake :D  and yes it took me a few minutes to spot it !

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

That's the funniest of the Lomas. I can't even imagine what that was about. Is it a short song at 2:12 ?

It is indeed about that. Even funnier (and something I'd initially forgotten) is that their earlier release (Loma 2046)  gives exactly the same times for both sides! That means the typo on "It will stand" was missed twice - on Loma 2046 and 2050!

Loma2046.jpg.e5e671e55324f780862586c9fd14d890.jpg

Loma2046b.jpg.3d2e254e10d8049473bff9f6847a5f23.jpg

Social source share

3 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

The Loma record label offers up a good handful of label typos...

Loma 2006: Both sides have the singer's surname as Carmicheal when it should be Carmichael.

Loma2006.jpg.0cf1f1f20e44cd56d2b55e5eedbbe324.jpg

Loma 2008: On the flip to Reb Foster's "Something you got", the writing and arranging credits are given to Sonny Bond. It was in fact, Sonny Bono.

Loma2008b.jpg.7caa3acb38763f6e8da7d8b29eb8f835.jpg

Loma 2013: The Olympics "Good lovin'" credits Jerry Ragavoy as the producer. It should be Ragovoy. Arranging and writing credits go to Gary Sherman. It should be Garry. Both errors also appear on the flip.

Loma2013.jpg.512d6fe3cee6bcdeec4876ffca9e056d.jpg

Loma 2039: The song title is given as "Pretty red ballons". It should, of course, be balloons. The error appears on both issue and demo, but was corrected on later presses of the issue.

Loma2039.jpg.ade8e9c07967d7534d7cdd07ac75b588.jpg

Loma 2050: Charlie Underwood's "It will stand" is timed at 1 minute and 72 seconds!

Loma2050b.jpg.bb203fed599cc6882ec510916dcfb95d.jpg

Loma 2060: The writing credits to "People, let's freak out" are given to K. Fowley, M. Scott, P.J. McAuley, K. McLoud, and J.J. McLauley. The names should have been Mcleod and McAuley.

Loma2060b.jpg.c1f3c4267944e2115349a23942aafe7d.jpg

Loma 2070: The writing credits to "I can't stop lovin' my baby" are given to Miller - Haper. It should have been Harper.

Loma2070b.jpg.aa67374652bab65d34af72891b5eb83a.jpg

Loma 2096: The label states A Concert House Production by by Lew Futterman.

Loma2096.jpg.000977bac4093ba39ed68dfc56d65cac.jpg

I'll just go and put my anorak away now. :thumbup:

I should add that all scans are taken from my website Discography of Loma Records.

Wow!

So far, the award for the worst quality control department has to go to Loma.

(Does LOMA stand for Lot's Of Mistakes Always)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Robbk said:

And her sister, Dee Dee felt compelled to take it on, as well!

On this release, the label got her last name wrong- 

\

WAR.jpg

7 hours ago, Robbk said:

I know what a "shotgun" is.  But, I can't remember ever seeing that record's title as one single word.  

This should help  (😀) -

45.jpg

LP.jpg

Tm.jpg

Social source share

Don't know if this is actually true, but was told that the jamaican rocksteady trio Three Tops is called Tree Tops on a handful of releases because somebody gave the printers the release details for the labels via phone. And how do you pronounce "three" in a jamaican accent? Tree.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, The Yank said:

On this release, the label got her last name wrong- 

\

WAR.jpg

This should help  (😀) -

45.jpg

LP.jpg

Tm.jpg

At 75+ the memory can play tricks.  I've probably seen the two-word "Shot Gun" 3-4 times in my life, and the proper printing 1,657,439 times, and when I looked at the "Shot Gun" label, it looked right.   🤪

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Benji said:

Don't know if this is actually true, but was told that the jamaican rocksteady trio Three Tops is called Tree Tops on a handful of releases because somebody gave the printers the release details for the labels via phone. And how do you pronounce "three" in a jamaican accent? Tree.

You are correct, TR-003 on Trojan has them down as the Treetops and it's really quite common on the UK press of Jamaican records. That's if they even put the correct artist and title so the artists don't find out it's been released. Those still alive are still finding out tracks were released they never knew about. 

Social source share

14 hours ago, Robbk said:

Too bad that was a misprint.  "The Masquaders" would have been an unusual, and, thus, memorable, group name.

I can't remember his exact words, but when i asked Harold Thomas about it he replied 'i guess someone messed up at the print works'

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Not a record label, but a sleeve - this being the French picture sleeve to Joe Turner's "Two loves have I".

Getting one of the song titles wrong is careless, but getting both of them wrong? Well, that's an achievement!

1631816536_TwoLovesHaveI.jpg.d2767da363022787d985c66601f9195f.jpg

"Shake Little and Roll", anyone?

And who has two loves exactly?

Le proofreader az cock-ed-up. 

:lol:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 07/07/2022 at 10:07, Mal C said:

not sure if this counts as it would have been two art departments in two different pressing plants, but...

The Ivories - Please Stay / The Ivorys - Please Stay

Soul Allnighter_ 60's Stompers & 70's Dancefloor Classics [Disc 2].jpg

Wand Records.jpg

I always thought The "Y" spelling was correct, and that the group had used that spelling to be different from the 1950s Mercury R&B group.  I never saw the Wand issue until the early 1980s.  I don't remember seeing any show posters for them, so I don't know which of the 2 spellings is correct.  I have seen them referred to in print as "The Ivorys".  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, The Yank said:

Asp.jpg

is it a mistake or a rebranding attempt that failed?  After all they pressed it twice with different labels, plus the different presses with the Admirations credit?

58 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Four Reputation(s)

555206872_FourReputation.thumb.jpg.ae59235ca264045b884a372dcd6bda79.jpg

labels reversed as well, one big mess up with that press

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!