Moveonup - New Years Extravaganza - Leeds

Celebrate the passing of 2004 in Leeds with the biggest Soul night in the country.

MoveOnUp New Years Spectacular

@

The Queens Hotel (in the railway station)

Leeds

Friday 31st December

8pm-4am

£25

Enjoy 4 rooms of black music with a handful of some of the finest black music DJ's.

The Northern and rare soul Room this year is host to original Central DJ Ian Dewhirst, The Hideaway's Neil Henderson and Legendary Mod DJ Mark Ellis!

Another 3 rooms of funk, R'n'B/Modern Soul and the ever present classic sounds of the MoveOnUp residents in the main ballroom.

With over 900 tickets already sold, this event is getting bigger and bigger.

Enjoy a great atmosphere, great black music from the last 4 decades and treat yourself to a night you are unlikely to forget.

For ticket info, call the booking line on 0113 2431481

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Went there a couple of years ago (NYE) and it was the worst night I'd ever been to.....

Pissed up hand-baggers fest, with a pokey side room for the proper Soulies.

Wouldn't touch the place with a barge pole...

£25 a ticket?  Who's the promoter? Dick Turpin esq?

WOOF!

link

ooohh get back in the knife drawer!

I was there that night with you Pikey Dog and it was more like a student ball. Absolutley packed with young guys in dinner suits and hundreds of fabulous young women! Roger Banks was on that night if i remember?

Shane

Guest Biggie G

I went last year and to be honest it was a superb night. Jean Carne was awsome and well worth the £25 quid entrance money, if I'd have paid that is.

It's not what you know it's who you know :)

And the night is run by Ed, who co-owns and runs the best nightclub in Leeds (Hi-fi) a club that dares to different and play Soul / Funk etc in a city dominated by House Music.

And lets face it a quality large city centre hotel on New Years Eve ain't gonna come cheap.

Cheers

Gareth

I went last year and to be honest it was a superb night.  Jean Carne was awsome and well worth the £25 quid entrance money, if I'd have paid that is.

It's not what you know it's who you know  :)

And the night is run by Ed, who co-owns and runs the best nightclub in Leeds (Hi-fi) a club that dares to different and play Soul / Funk etc in a city dominated by House Music.

And lets face it a quality large city centre hotel on New Years Eve ain't gonna come cheap.

Cheers

Gareth

link

Nah.....Baby Jupiter is the best night club in Leeds..........ask me....i've been unsure.gif

Cheers for your comments Pikey.

It's nice to have feedback on our events.

I apologise for your terrible night, for which I was undoubtedly, in part, responsible for. To be honest, not all people relish the thought of being surrounded by sweaty, serious, older men either, and trying to find something that little bit alternative in the city of Leeds on the biggest night of the year is a task in itself.

We ran (and continue to run) MoveOnUp at the Queens to give people the opportunity to listen to music outside the usual sphere of trashy chart, house and trance, and hoped to encompass the whole array of black music. I don't think we've ever touted it as a super rare soul night, or indeed a northern event, it's more a black music event with the emphasis heavily on 60's soul and funk.

The night is run and spun by people who are passionate about the music they play. I'm only sorry that we are demonised for attempting to break 'our' music through to a new generation of people. A generation who aren't as au fait with Northern dancefloor etiquette as (place your classic soul venue here) attendees.

I think things like the Queens puts forward the universality of soul music. And if that puts you out, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

For every person at every other soul night enjoying their music round the country this New years Eve, there'll be another 'handbagger'(sic) rightfully enjoying 60's soul in whichever way they feel. Real everyday people relishing music that was made for real folks.

For whoever attends our New Years Eve event, over the last three years, we've put on Jean Carne, Geno Washington and Snake Davis, and been lucky enough to have the likes Carl Willingham, Roger Banks and Neil Jones, Paul Welsby and Neil Henderson.

As for our ticket prices, with a live band plus expenses, stage, a lavish, massive city centre venue on the most sought after night of the year, four rooms of equipment, 12 DJ's, visuals, promotion and 4 enormous sound systems, all of which on double time, you can work out the finances for yourself. Venues like Sheridans are extremely lucky not to have to worry about those kinds of massive overheads. Did i mention the door staff?

I'm not willing to raise any inflammatory comments, just enjoy your nights wherever you are with the people you wish to be with. You pay your money, you take your chances. But 1000 younger people have already chosen 60's soul over the other tedious rubbish that clogs up the charts. We must be going wrong somewhere......

Cheers for your comments Pikey.

It's nice to have feedback on our events.

We must be going wrong somewhere......

link

Not at all.... your obviously going 'right' 1000 x £25 is a lot of Pedigree, Chum

Maybe I am a bit synical, but it was the worst night I'd been to, not the music just the overall atmosphere.....

Fat and sweaty? You obviously know me too well....

WOOF!

I've been to a couple of Move On up nights with mates who aren't on the scene. Mates who are into music but who would be scared off by Lifeline or similar events (which,incidentally, I love). But it's a compromise if I want a night out with my non soulie mates from time to time .You can listen to some decent tunes, avoid wine bar hell and chin strokers at the same time, then totally appreciate the next pure Northern night you go to even more unsure.gif:)

But it's a compromise if I want a night out with my non soulie mates from time to time .You can listen to some decent tunes, avoid wine bar hell and chin strokers at the same time, then totally appreciate the next pure Northern night you go to even more :)   :)

link

Bit like any other nite out in your average city or town centre then :shades:whistling.gif .... apart from the "decent tunes" bit :wicked: ....

Bit like any other nite out in your average city or town centre then :)   whistling.gif .... apart from the "decent tunes" bit :) ....

link

Considerably less excrutiating than a night out to somewhere like Chicago Rock or Walkabout bar listening to Abba tribute bands..believe me when I say I have to compromise :) Actually, other than beers in local I can't remember the last time I went to a non Northern event so I'm all talk really :wicked::shades:

Hey Matt

if your gettin 1000 young uns in thats gotta be a worthwhile project, maybe a few will cross over to the serious side of NS. keeping everyone happy is damn near impossible in "la cosa nostra"

have a good one

Danny D

link

ditto that twice

let us know how it goes

mike

good luck with that matt ..... its ambitious but undoubtedly valued by all those with tickets so far. totally agree with your comments about "everyday people" getting the opportunity to listen to some great soul/funk music ..... we do a similar thing down here .... a smaller scale for us on new years eve with our 650 capacity. I'm sure you're spot on about the atmosphere too ...... sometimes those without the "etiquette" you mentioned just turn up and have fun listening and dancing to decent music!

... keeping everyone happy is damn near impossible in "la cosa nostra"

have a good one

Danny D

link

Think I stayed there on an all inclusive once.

Is it near Benidorm ? :P:P

Pass the turkey mother, ah'm nearly done on the bog !

Hammy

I went last year and had a fab time. The place is absolutely beautiful and makes you realise nothing of that scale can happen within the scene in London. The atmosphere was tremendous, I usually run a mile from those who've been called "hand-baggers" but I found them really friendly and even got kissed by lots of strangers at midnight - which was nice. It also provided a night off from the chin strokers at the same time as hearing some great tunes in the room playing rarer soul. It's an enormous project but Matt is the perfect host and if you know him you can imagine what the night's like as his personality is stamped all over it!

Hope your nite goes really well for you matt and all the best for new year.I am running the new years eve bash at sherridans with mr dyson,and if you think we have no overheads you must be jokeing.Just like you everything is double time,and with probably the best dj lineup in the country,extra door staff etc and only a 250 capacity club i doubt very much we will make a bean.However sweaty old men or not we will have a great nite.

Thanks Andy. I know the Sheridans is going to be a corker...

Wasn't at all having a pop. In fact, I'm hoping to be down there afterwards. I travel up and down the country every week to venues frequented by sweaty old men. Wouldn't have it any other way. But I know a lot of people feel that environment to be intimidating.

Totally understand your points about costs. Glad you raised them as an example of having to shell out extra as a promoter at the busiest time of the year.

Good luck to Hipshaker and everybody else putting on a do on Friday night. See you all on a dancefloor somewhere in the New Year!!!!

Hope your nite goes really well for you matt and all the best for new year.I am running the new years eve bash at sherridans with mr dyson,and if you think we have no overheads you must be jokeing.Just like you everything is double time,and with probably the best dj lineup in the country,extra door staff etc and only a 250 capacity club i doubt very much we will make a bean.However sweaty old men or not we will have a great nite.

link

AAARRGGH.......Now I wish I was going, new year and all that. Unfortunatly me and Wifey are babysitting tonight, so no can go :D

Hope ya'll have a great night.......see you all in the flesh in the new year.... :shades:thumbsup.gif

JM

AAARRGGH.......Now I wish I was going, new year and all that. Unfortunatly me and Wifey are babysitting tonight, so no can go sad.gif

Hope ya'll have a great night.......see you all in the flesh in the new year.... :D   thumbsup.gif

JM

link

Even worse for me John, I was going to Sheris and my babysitter let me down so I've had to sell my tickets :D:( So me and my friend are having a belated NY celebration at the Willington on Sunday! May see you there (it's near you isn't it?) :shades:

Even worse for me John, I was going to Sheris and my babysitter let me down so I've had to sell my tickets :shades:   :D   So me and my friend are having a belated NY celebration at the Willington on Sunday! May see you there (it's near you isn't it?)  thumbsup.gif

link

Yes it is, it's about 5 miles from me, in fact I work at Toyota, which is about 1 miles away from Willington, However, oddly enough, I'm travelling the opposite way to you, cause I'm off up to Greatstone Manchester on the same night..........

Yes it is, it's about 5 miles from me, in fact I work at Toyota, which is about 1 miles away from Willington, However, oddly enough, I'm travelling the opposite way to you, cause I'm off up to Greatstone Manchester on the same night..........

link

Ah the Greatstone...you'll never want to leave, seduced by the log fire and the free supper! Have a good 'n thumbsup.gif

Guest Biggie G

Nah.....Baby Jupiter is the best night club in Leeds..........ask me....i've been :)

link

I agree Baby Jupiter is the best Bar in Leeds (but it's not a night club), that's why I'm having Jan's Birthday Bash there, but the Hi-Fi has been Voted by the Leeds public as the Best Night Club. Have you been there? I've been on a number of occassions to see acts such as JTQ, Terry Callier, NMS etc. etc and it is a really good club.

Cheers

Gareth