The Shakers

Guest melandthensome

Guest melandthensome

When I first started collecting way back in the early 70's I remember always hearing 'one wonderful moment' by the shakers which I had on uk probe.....but I have never seen anything about them anywhere..

Can anyone tell me a bit about them please

how many 45s they cut who were they where were they from etc.......

cheers

mel

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

all i know is that the track you mentioned was also on ABC records and came out in US in 1967 but blieve the band were not as soulful and record may have been written in some soft rock style but recorded as Northern Soul

Social source share

Anyone know for certain ?

Had a scout round tinternet Mel, it throws up a Uraguayan Beatles lookalike band who were 'Los Shakers' before changing thier name, a Swedish beat band & a Merseybeat band that were still playing The Cavern only two years ago.

Think we can discount the Uraguayan & Swedish bands & the most likley, if any of em, is the Merseybeat Band. Strange thing is, the members of each look very similar (see below)

Would have thought some of the older members of our fraternity would be able to remember ?

British, Uraguayan, Swedish, Uraguayan

post-5566-1171982356_thumb.jpg

post-5566-1171982365_thumb.jpg

post-5566-1171982380_thumb.jpg

post-5566-1171982439_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Bogue

nice post mate

thats the first time Ive ever seen anything to do with them(if it is them)I first heard 'one wonderful moment around 1971/2 and havent seen a thing anywhere about them.

cheers :wicked:

mel

Social source share

Anyone know for certain ?

Had a scout round tinternet Mel, it throws up a Uraguayan Beatles lookalike band who were 'Los Shakers' before changing thier name, a Swedish beat band & a Merseybeat band that were still playing The Cavern only two years ago.

Think we can discount the Uraguayan & Swedish bands & the most likley is the Merseybeat Band. Strange thing is, the members of each look very similar (see below)

Would have thought some of the older members of our fraternity would be able to remember ?

British, Uraguayan, Swedish, Uraguayan

I think they were also known as The Detroit Shakers! Maybe wrong

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

I think they were also known as The Detroit Shakers! Maybe wrong

Cheers

Paddy

Are you saying there was a band called 'The Detroit Shakers' then Paddy ? as opposed to just the cover up name for The Outsiders ? & that the 'Shakers' in question were an American band ?

Social source share

Are you saying there was a band called 'The Detroit Shakers' then Paddy ? as opposed to just the cover up name for The Outsiders ? & that the 'Shakers' in question were an American band ?

Yes, that is what I am sure I was told or read or something about The Shakers, trouble is it was so long ago, but listen mate, dont take my word for it, I could easily be wrong, its just what I seem to recall.

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

Yes, that is what I am sure I was told or read or something about The Shakers, trouble is it was so long ago, but listen mate, dont take my word for it, I could easily be wrong, its just what I seem to recall.

Cheers

Paddy

Makes sense thinking about it, as it was an American release first. doh stupid me

There was also a Beach/Shag band called 'The Fantastic Shakers' too so perhaps they were an offshoot of them ?

I'm sure someone will put us out of our misery soon.

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Detroit Shakers have recorded for Brainstorm, Soul Cat and Counsel if that helps.

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

I remember the outsiders being covered up as The detroit shakers but never knew about a band actually known as the detroit shakers.

Can you please tell me the names of the Brainstorm and Soul cat releases....

cheers

mel

Social source share

I remember the outsiders being covered up as The detroit shakers but never knew about a band actually known as the detroit shakers.

Can you please tell me the names of the Brainstorm and Soul cat releases....

cheers

mel

Brainstorm 702 "Sugar pie - it's the same old song/Instrumental"

Soul Cat 229 "Help me/People like to talk"

Social source share

Counsel 176 is listed as Detroit Shakers "Help me find my way" as the A side and Aka Outsiders - "Lonely man" on the flip.Perhaps somebody could put up a scan of the two sides.

So i can find me old one and play it out,as its a original :thumbup:

Social source share

So i can find me old one and play it out,as its a original :thumbup:

:rolleyes:

No Ken.

You know its not.

The Councel 'Detroit Shakers' "Help Me Find My Way" is a Boot.

As you said earlier, this track is an Outsiders LP track that was C/U as Detroit Shakers as it sounded 'similar' to the Detroit Shakers "Help Me" 45 on Soul Cat.

I think its quite possible that the Shakers of "One Wonderful Moment" fame and the Detroit Shakers of "Help Me" are one and the same... but somehow I doubt it!

Sean

Social source share

When I first started collecting way back in the early 70's I remember always hearing 'one wonderful moment' by the shakers which I had on uk probe.....but I have never seen anything about them anywhere..

Can anyone tell me a bit about them please

how many 45s they cut who were they where were they from etc.......

cheers

mel

Come to think of it I think the Shakers on ABC were actually Cashman, Pistilli and West (aka The Buchanan Brothers) They cut at least one LP for ABC

post-1918-1171997268_thumb.jpg

and there's a connection with Jim Croce too. I guess most of their stuff would be in a country rock vein with little to interest us.

post-1918-1171997543_thumb.jpg

Godz

Social source share

Spot On Godz.

Terry Cashman (ex Chevrons on Brent) joined with Gene Pistilli and Terry West.

They are the writers behind "One Wonderful Moment" and the flipside "Love, Love, Love".

Gene Pistilli later became an original member of Manhattan Transfer.

Terry Cashman had a hit in 1981 with "Talkin Baseball"

Tommy West (along with Terry Cashman) had a couple of LP's out on ABC Dunhill and wrote with Jim Croce.

Some Pics of the members of The Shakers today.

Mystery solved Mel?

:thumbup:

Left To Right :

Shit Little Pic of Gene Pistilli

Terry Cashman with Guitar

Tommy West Looking Cool

Gene Pistilli inbetween two 'younger' guys!

post-4120-1171998611_thumb.jpg

post-4120-1171998643_thumb.jpg

post-4120-1171998666_thumb.jpg

post-4120-1171999000_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Godzilla/Sean

many many thanks to you both for solving this mystery for me......youve made an old collector very happy :thumbup:

and many thanks to everyone who posted on this thread :rolleyes:

mel having one wonderful moment arf arf.....

Edited by melandthensome
Social source share

Come to think of it I think the Shakers on ABC were actually Cashman, Pistilli and West (aka The Buchanan Brothers) They cut at least one LP for ABC

post-1918-1171997268_thumb.jpg

and there's a connection with Jim Croce too. I guess most of their stuff would be in a country rock vein with little to interest us.

post-1918-1171997543_thumb.jpg

Godz

Spot On Godz.

Terry Cashman (ex Chevrons on Brent) joined with Gene Pistilli and Terry West.

They are the writers behind "One Wonderful Moment" and the flipside "Love, Love, Love".

Gene Pistilli later became an original member of Manhattan Transfer.

Terry Cashman had a hit in 1981 with "Talkin Baseball"

Tommy West (along with Terry Cashman) had a couple of LP's out on ABC Dunhill and wrote with Jim Croce.

Some Pics of the members of The Shakers today.

Mystery solved Mel?

:thumbup:

Left To Right :

Shit Little Pic of Gene Pistilli

Terry Cashman with Guitar

Tommy West Looking Cool

Gene Pistilli inbetween two 'younger' guys!

post-4120-1171998611_thumb.jpg-post-4120-1171998643_thumb.jpg-post-4120-1171998666_thumb.jpg-post-4120-1171999000_thumb.jpg

Godzilla/Sean

many many thanks to you both for solving this mystery for me......youve made an old collector very happy :rolleyes:

and many thanks to everyone who posted on this thread :D

mel having one wonderful moment arf arf.....

Incredible, well done, mystery solved, I just love this Forum.

One Wonderful Moment - The Shakers - abc -

13678 refosoul ABC_45-10960a_DJ.jpg

As it says on the Tin, "One Wonderful Moment" :yes:

and now we know who created this wonderful tune. :P

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

• 10 years later...

12646992_10208090239081341_5667447315402479039_n.jpg.494368d1c5a52d84d5e857dc863dbb72.jpgThat was our bands name years ago when we were kids, The Shakers. We named ourselves after Bury FC For some reason, Did a couple of tunes from an old tape i had given to me, Chains of love jj barnes and Your my mellow edwin starr . we did more beatles and punk stuff and our own tunes too

Edited by Adidas SoulBoy
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, Adidas SoulBoy said:

12646992_10208090239081341_5667447315402479039_n.jpg.494368d1c5a52d84d5e857dc863dbb72.jpgThat was our bands name years ago when we were kids, The Shakers. We named ourselves after Bury FC For some reason, Did a couple of tunes from an old tape i had given to me, Chains of love jj barnes and Your my mellow edwin starr . we did more beatles and punk stuff and our own tunes too

A soul boy - what about the dog sound - in one wonderful moment - who came up with that , why - big hand clapping part of the record ?

Social source share

6 hours ago, ZoomSoulBlue said:

A soul boy - what about the dog sound - in one wonderful moment - who came up with that , why - big hand clapping part of the record ?

I think you are getting your wires crossed, Adidas Soul Boy WAS in a band named The Shakers, but Not the USA group on ABC.

Social source share

3 hours ago, shinehead said:

A great record which has stood the test of time unlike a lot of others of its ilk , has anyone got a clue what the f**k are the lyrics ? I can make a few lines out but most are double dutch to me :yes:

"Just leave enough for me to see just how far away you are from me, just leave enough for me to see the way you turned away from me. Oh, but I can still remember I was there when you needed me but now you may regret the awful way that you treated me you know you can't forget that there was no one but me for you when for....one wonderful moment you were mine.

Don't go with him, you must give in, the feelings tearing you apart, don't worry then(???) it's such a sin to hide this feeling in your heart...."

That's basically it.

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

"Just leave enough for me to see just how far away you are from me, just leave enough for me to see the way you turned away from me. Oh, but I can still remember I was there when you needed me but now you may regret the awful way that you treated me you know you can't forget that there was no one but me for you when for....one wonderful moment you were mine.

Don't go with him, you must give in, the feelings tearing you apart, don't worry then(???) it's such a sin to hide this feeling in your heart...."

That's basically it.

Social source share

25 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

I think you are getting your wires crossed, Adidas Soul Boy WAS in a band named The Shakers, but Not the USA group on ABC.

Yep wires crossed - I was over excited about getting to the bottom of the bloody dog barking - I guess one of thouse NS legendary mysteries will go on 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

That's basically it.

Surely it's "just near enough for me to see" ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:22, Kegsy said:

Just to add a bit more historical detail, I'm pretty sure the first copies were found on Bradford market circa late 71 early 72.

yes kegs............

you Bradford boyz brought a load of ABC/VERVE/MGM stuff to the TORCH

Social source share

• 2 years later...
45 minutes ago, Hammersoul said:

Anybody know how much a Vg++ Original 1967 U,k press on Abc goes for now? Selling one for a friend, Northern not my forte. 

The UK ABC issue was from 1974. So reissued in the UK due to NS demand. Here's a scan from google. The UK Probe release was March 1973. Hope that helps..

soul shakers

Edited by Bo Diddley
Social source share

t .

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Billboard-IDX/IDX/1967/Billboard-1967-07-29-OCR-Page-0018.pdf#search="the shakers"

The link above is for the Billboard review for One Wonderful Moment. I found the advert in the 5th August 1967 edition of Billboard but can't work out how to separate it  from the rest of magazine.

Edited by Rick Cooper
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
On 10/02/2020 at 20:50, Soul-slider said:

So, as I suspected the 1st UK issue is the one on Probe

6 years later is a re-issue? different if was 1968

Social source share

2 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

I can't find it now but I've seen a full page advert for One Wonderful Moment in Billboard magazine online archives promoting it as a new release. I don't think it had a photo of the group, maybe some clever person could find it and post it .

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Billboard-IDX/IDX/1967/Billboard-1967-07-29-OCR-Page-0018.pdf#search="the shakers"

The link above is for the Billboard review for One Wonderful Moment. I found the advert in the 5th August 1967 edition of Billboard but can't work out how to separate it  from the rest of magazine.

Here you go, the review itself plus part of the page with it on to give it some context.

soul Billboard releases July 1967

soul Shakers One wonderful moment Billboard review 29th July 1967

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

How can it be a reissue if never issued in the UK?  It may have been done for the scene but it is still a first UK issue. 

100% agree Karl black (ABC) and pink (Probe) and then yellow (ABC) label designs on both singles and LP's, here in the UK

In the UK and other territories Probe was launched on 1 October 1970 by E.M.I. Records Limited to release licensed ABC and Dunhill product and existed until late 1974 when the ABC name became available and the Probe label was merged with that. ABC set up an office within EMI in early 1974 and their contract with EMI expired on 1 October 1975. 

These also connected, aliases of the brothers it seems

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/buchanan_brothers

Just an anorak note that Mike Monardo became Meco, well known for the disco stuff 

soul ABC

soul Shakers

soul Meco 2

soul Meco

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
12 hours ago, Chalky said:

How can it be a reissue if never issued in the UK?  

Fair enough that, I meant not the original plus it was a question not a statement

It was pressed for the scene, as you said, 6 years after it's original release

btw it's listed on Discogs as a "Reissue" but your point still stands

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!