The Essence Of Northern

Jerry Hipkiss

This could be fun...what one record captures the essence of Northern Soul to you? Not your current fetish or the biggest cover-up, but one record that gives you goosebumps and makes you realise why you love Northern Soul?

The track that made me think of this topic? Well, vibes, key changes, awesome female vocals, and a beat to die for... The Uptights "Shy Guy"

Any advance on that?

Jerry.

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

This could be fun...what one record captures the essence of Northern Soul to you? Not your current fetish or the biggest cover-up, but one record that gives you goosebumps and makes you realise why you love Northern Soul?

The track that made me think of this topic? Well, vibes, key changes, awesome female vocals, and a beat to die for... The Uptights "Shy Guy"

Any advance on that?

Jerry.

link

Waaaayyyyy too many Jerry whistling.gif I've always said tho' if I had to play a record to some one who asked "what is NS" it would be Timmie Williams - Competition - Mala or The Mello Souls - We Can Make It - Mello. Both have all the right ingredients for a Northern Soul record, even if they are out of reach for most of us.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Timmie Williams - Competition - Mala or The Mello Souls - We Can Make It - Mello.  Both have all the right ingredients for a Northern Soul record, even if they are out of reach for most of us.

link

Ah but we're not talking finance here - you don't have to own the tune either - it's just trying to nail that record that says it all!

Jerry.

Social source share

Ah but we're not talking finance here - you don't have to own the tune either - it's just trying to nail that record that says it all!

Jerry.

link

Ok then, a cheapie (one of THE cheapest) and an expensive one that both sum the whole damn thing up for me:

Spyder Turner - I Can't Make It Anymore

Eddie Parker I'm Gone

oh yeah, and Mickey Mouse Concerto...

...Ouch - Only kidding. Those things hurt!! Stop it!! I surrender!!

Godz

Social source share

Jerry.

link

Like I said the two I mentioned sum it up for me, along with a 1000 others whistling.gif:wicked:

But I will throw in a cheapie...Jean Wells - With My Love And What We Got - Calla

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Haven't heard Jean Wells track played out for ages, which is a shame as it certainly blows away the cob webs at 4 in the morning.

Currently listening to a bit of modern whilst wrapping up the xmas stuff.

Last 3 tracks up on i tunes have all had the desired goose bumps effect.

Carl Sims - I'm Sending You Back To Him

100% Pure Poison - You Keep Coming Back

Bobby Womack - Home Is Where The Heart Is

Social source share

Any advance on that?

Jerry.

link

Shy Guy will always have a place in my heart. very first original northern record I ever bought as a fresh faced youth in '97.

Yes - stop laughing - 1997 ! lol

Hammy

Social source share

Dunno what happened there! as I was saying......

its a struggle getting further than Stoke these days

Assume Scotland/England all-dayer went well for you?

Dunno where I was that nite...maybe Luton? - where the guy above in the thread (Hammy) along with Sean played absolutely blinding sets between 12 & 2 am

Social source share

Dunno what happened there!  as I was saying......

Dunno where I was that nite...maybe Luton? - where the guy above in the thread (Hammy) along with Sean played absolutely blinding sets between 12 & 2 am

link

The dayer was brilliant, packed house whistling.gif

The Hammy above is not Hammie from Kempston/Luton area, the one above is the Scottish variant :wicked::shades:

Social source share

Dunno what happened there!  as I was saying......

link

Wrong hammy - have to check spelling - Hammie (I do it all the time!!!) whistling.gif

Social source share

Any advance on that?

Jerry.

link

Jimmy Raye......Philly dog around the world....KKC whistling.gif

JM

Social source share

Any advance on that?

Jerry.

link

The adventurers- Easy Baby , As KR said in his book this is comin at yer like a train - And I couldnt get off! whistling.gif:wicked:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Luther Ingram - If It's All The Same To You - HIB

The Group - I Don't Like To Loose - Prophonics

Del-Larks - Job Opening - Queen City

From the classic's but let's face it you could go on all day and of the newer crop all be it none of them really new nowadays

Mello Souls - We Can Make It - Mello

Teddy Pendergrass - We Got Love - Acetate

Soul Brothers Inc - Teardrops - Salem

Troutster

Social source share

Ok then, a cheapie (one of THE cheapest) and an expensive one that both sum the whole damn thing up for me:

Spyder Turner - I Can't Make It Anymore

Eddie Parker I'm Gone

oh yeah, and Mickey Mouse Concerto...

...Ouch - Only kidding. Those things hurt!! Stop it!! I surrender!!

Godz

link

The flip of Spyder Turner also brilliant..

Social source share

"I spun it at the recent Scotland vs. England All-dayer, was requested in fact but would probably have played it anyway"

Looks like I should travel further north then! These days our nominated driver struggles to get further than

link

hey you ungrateful git.i drive cos i like too.get that van full of seats and ill drive anywhere you like.

anyway col the soul have a great xmas.love to sue

Social source share

Wrong hammy - have to check spelling - Hammie (I do it all the time!!!)  whistling.gif

link

=========

The Hammy from Bedford, doesn't do the net....at least I don't think he does, so whenever you see Hammy, Karen just think kilts :shades:

As for a record epitomising N/S well you said we could have anything, so I'm going with "Blowing my mind to pieces". First northern record I ever heard, was round a mates house listening to Motown, knock, on the door, and it was a Polish lad (Wozy) and he came in and said, listen to this.......

Thought it was rather good actually :wicked:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

The Majestics - my fav ever NS record and one that to me epitomises NS (maybe because it is one of the first records that stuck in my mind when i was 15). Followed by the Epitome of Sound and Luther Ingram. Mello Souls does it to me now. Infact the more i think there are lots of records, so best i just stop thinking.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Del-Larks - Job Opening - Queen City

Soul Brothers Inc - Teardrops - Salem

Yep that's it Trouty! These 2 are 10 out of 10 NS for me :P:(

Why can't SBI turn up in huuuge quantity or at least turn up in front of me :P

best

Leo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source