Droylsden Soul Night - 2nd March

Mandy

I've just got very excited looking through the events section to see there's a soul night at the Concorde Suite, Droylsdon, Manchester on 2nd March. Can someone post up more details of this.

This is/was/will always be my most favourite ex-niter venue.

Who's running it and more to the point .. how the hell did you manage to persuade the miserable committee to let you run another soul night there. I know Mark Bicknell, Guy Hennigan and a few others were refused :thumbsup:

Edited by Mandy
  • Replies 34
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Mandy, Guy and myself were not refused as such when we looked at this about four years ago, more the fact we wanted an allnighter and they were a little unsure so we basically left it alone, looks like it could be Steve Burtwistle behind this promotion? i hope it goes really well for them, still one of the best rooms in the area if not the country, superb dance floor and the venue ain't changed much since the allnighters there in the early 90's.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mandy, Guy and myself were not refused as such when we looked at this about four years ago, more the fact we wanted an allnighter and they were a little unsure so we basically left it alone, looks like it could be Steve Burtwistle behind this promotion? i hope it goes really well for them, still one of the best rooms in the area if not the country, superb dance floor and the venue ain't changed much since the allnighters there in the early 90's.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark you know I don't always get all my facts right whistling.gif

Without being rude, who is Steve Burtwistle?

I really hope this takes off anyway and shall try and get up to one if it does.

Would be great to have a niter back there but just wouldn't be the same though. Like Mark says, fantastic venue, many a great night had there :wicked:

Guest Ferrett

I too would definately travel up for a nighter at The Concorde!!

Heard a few years ago that it had been converted into a snooker hall. Unless that was just the small second room that used to get used on occasions?

Great memories of some great tunes and great people (even Mandy!!). Always liked the painting of city skylines on the walls. Wonder if they're still there?

Do you think record collectors would agree to sell records at 1990 prices for the opening night!!!!????? I can dream can't I .......? The tunes I left behind in boxes at that place. I could scream - gutted now.

Actually, I would probably spend the whole night trying to find the place. ALWAYS got lost in all those streets of terrace houses round there for some reason!?!?!

BRING IT ON!!!!

Ferrett

I too would definately travel up for a nighter at The Concorde!!

Heard a few years ago that it had been converted into a snooker hall. Unless that was just the small second room that used to get used on occasions?

Great memories of some great tunes and great people (even Mandy!!). Always liked the painting of city skylines on the walls. Wonder if they're still there?

Do you think record collectors would agree to sell records at 1990 prices for the opening night!!!!????? I can dream can't I .......? The tunes I left behind in boxes at that place. I could scream - gutted now.

Actually, I would probably spend the whole night trying to find the place. ALWAYS got lost in all those streets of terrace houses round there for some reason!?!?!

BRING IT ON!!!!

Ferrett

Wasn't just us then :P We always got lost, used to take us about an hour to get to Manchester then another hour to find the place :D

its easy enough to find as its right at the side of the centre traffic lights in the middle of droylsden on ashton new road !!!

its not down any sidestreets or back streets etc

there is a main taxi rank outside , bus stops nearby and going from manchester towards ashton its on the left at the main lights

so easy to find , I intend to be there as I dont live far from it

never thought we would see it opened as a northern soul venue again so got to be worth a look as its ages since I was last in there

seems to be a similar dj lineup to denton british legion so obviously they have been doing some negotiating to get this one going again !!

best wishes to all that turn up next week :P

Hi all

A bit of background... Steve Birtwistle (Stevie cool.gif has managed to get it back on again, but sorry "not" allnight. The connection is the British legion, as Steve got Denton up and running, and as a matter of fact Denton is a great night now with approx 150 in each month.

Whould you believe the commitee from Droylesden approacehed Steve due to the Denton sucess, well he couldn't turn it down could he as Mark and Guy had made it a legendary venue. It will be more or less the same DJ line up from Denton with Johnny Beggs I believe as the first guest. Should be a great night so see you there. Again sorry not as yet a nighter but we live in hope!! :wicked: P.S Denton is on this friday

its easy enough to find as its right at the side of the centre traffic lights in the middle of droylsden on ashton new road !!!

its not down any sidestreets or back streets etc

there is a main taxi rank outside , bus stops nearby and going from manchester towards ashton its on the left at the main lights

so easy to find , I intend to be there as I dont live far from it

never thought we would see it opened as a northern soul venue again so got to be worth a look as its ages since I was last in there

seems to be a similar dj lineup to denton british legion so obviously they have been doing some negotiating to get this one going again !!

best wishes to all that turn up next week :yes:

Yes, easy when you live there as I found out when I moved to Ashton!! Even when I lived in Ramsbottom we could never find it and ended up going to Sheila and Jimmy's in Audenshaw every time so we could follow them :thumbsup: And it is the easiest place to find actually ... just keep on the main road :wicked:

Guest bertie97

Hi, all this is a great venue deserving big support.Dance floor to die for[it's huge]Great bar prices,

Really looking forward to this thanks to all for making the effort.

Steve

Hi Steve

After Denton last night cant wait for Friday. If you are going drop a line on here, it would be nice to get some idea of numbers, as most who used to go seem to be looking forward to it, sorry its not an alnighter "yet" Anyway the legacy left by Mark will be maintained, proper across the board Nortern soul you can dance to :wicked:

Cheers John

Hi Steve

After Denton last night cant wait for Friday. If you are going drop a line on here, it would be nice to get some idea of numbers, as most who used to go seem to be looking forward to it, sorry its not an alnighter "yet" Anyway the legacy left by Mark will be maintained, proper across the board Nortern soul you can dance to :ohmy:

Cheers John

Will try and get down to this, used to enjoy Droylsden....very easy to find too :wicked: Used to go down with the Man City crew...Mike Phoenix in his dodgy flasher mac ha ha

Guest Stuart Butcher

When were the niters all that time back? Can remember going but not when! Nothing surprising there though. If I remember correctly they seemed to be quite good...

So good luck to it. One thing about lots of venues, you never get bored trying them out and the travelling is fun. And sometimes you just hit on a place with the right music, people and layout that suits you.

Guest barnsey

Yes, easy when you live there as I found out when I moved to Ashton!! Even when I lived in Ramsbottom we could never find it and ended up going to Sheila and Jimmy's in Audenshaw every time so we could follow them :rolleyes: And it is the easiest place to find actually ... just keep on the main road :)

you followed jimmy and sheila did they take you the route via north wales as they did for wigan crickiters one night whistling.gif

When were the niters all that time back? Can remember going but not when! Nothing surprising there though. If I remember correctly they seemed to be quite good...

So good luck to it. One thing about lots of venues, you never get bored trying them out and the travelling is fun. And sometimes you just hit on a place with the right music, people and layout that suits you.

Stuart, we ran the allnighter there around 1991 to about 1993, Guy Hennigan and Mark Robertson had it before us for a year or so but i can't really remember mate to be honest, we did bring Barbara Acklin over to perform there which was December 1992....fifteen years ago now incredible...lol

Good lick to the new soul night there, it's a fantastic venue and it's not changed that much inside, still an awesome dance floor.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Guest Stuart Butcher

Hi Mark. Thanks for reply. 15 years aaaaagh. Just talking to Kim and she said Dennis Billingham had Barbara as a house guest. She has a picture of Barbara upstairs that they were using for autographs. Where was it he lived Ramsbottom way. I believe he is living in Newquay now. Had some good times with Dennis. Can always remember him when we started going to the Warehouse at Doncaster. Just seemed to float off the floor when he danced. Gonna try and look him up this year. The only edge I have is that his hair is greyer than mine. What a sad person I am eh! Memories are great though. Dennis leaping about in his dungarees and making it look so cool....I think it was shortly after that when Mick and the Boys started appearing at that Rave in Coventry and also the Warehouse. The Brick House eh! Seems surreal when you look back. I would do it all over again though...must have been good, biggest blank spots of my life. Right place right time right people. What a crew. Bet this has stirred a few memories mate...

And so it goes on and on and on and on ........................

Guest barnsey

Yes, easy when you live there as I found out when I moved to Ashton!! Even when I lived in Ramsbottom we could never find it and ended up going to Sheila and Jimmy's in Audenshaw every time so we could follow them :wicked: And it is the easiest place to find actually ... just keep on the main road :rolleyes:

has anyone seen anything of sheila or jimmy would be nice to see them again better comedy double act then morecombe'n' wise

has anyone seen anything of sheila or jimmy would be nice to see them again better comedy double act then morecombe'n' wise

Not seen them for a few years Paul. But unfortunately Sheila had a very bad car accident and was poorly for quite some time - head trauma. I'm not sure how her health is nowadays. They had parted but if I remember rightly Jimmy went back home to look after her. Her sister was at Prestatyn last year but I only saw her briefly and didn't realise who it was!! Julie from Droylsden goes out now and again and I would think she'll be at this event!

They were a fab couple, even put me up for a few weeks when I needed a roof over my head. The laughs in that house were great, always a smile on our faces.

Hi Mark. Thanks for reply. 15 years aaaaagh. Just talking to Kim and she said Dennis Billingham had Barbara as a house guest. She has a picture of Barbara upstairs that they were using for autographs. Where was it he lived Ramsbottom way. I believe he is living in Newquay now. Had some good times with Dennis. Can always remember him when we started going to the Warehouse at Doncaster. Just seemed to float off the floor when he danced. Gonna try and look him up this year. The only edge I have is that his hair is greyer than mine. What a sad person I am eh! Memories are great though. Dennis leaping about in his dungarees and making it look so cool....I think it was shortly after that when Mick and the Boys started appearing at that Rave in Coventry and also the Warehouse. The Brick House eh! Seems surreal when you look back. I would do it all over again though...must have been good, biggest blank spots of my life. Right place right time right people. What a crew. Bet this has stirred a few memories mate...

Used to DJ with Dennis Billingham at 'Hernies' Allnighters in Leeds around '72 ( got a handwritten flyer somewhere!). Give him my regards if you speak to him.

Julian

Hi Stuart, you are almost correct mate here apart from Barbara stayed with us in Ashton oh so did Ruby Andrews for the first couple of days then we shipped her off to stay with Dennis...bit of a nutter mate i seem to remember....Ruby that is not Dennis...well depends on how you look at it....lol, good bloke Dennis miss him loads and would love to see him.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE MARK

ATB STEVE

Hi Steve, would love to mate but working until late Friday plus an early start Saturday, maybe next time, hope it goes really well for you all, would be nice to play a few in the old venue sometime...lol but i must admit it would be a little weird walking back in the place after all these years.....sincere best wishes with it mate and to all your efforts for putting some soul back into our part of town, i will get to Denton or Concorde one of these nights i promise, would be nice to have a chat soon.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Guest barnsey

Not seen them for a few years Paul. But unfortunately Sheila had a very bad car accident and was poorly for quite some time - head trauma. I'm not sure how her health is nowadays. They had parted but if I remember rightly Jimmy went back home to look after her. Her sister was at Prestatyn last year but I only saw her briefly and didn't realise who it was!! Julie from Droylsden goes out now and again and I would think she'll be at this event!

They were a fab couple, even put me up for a few weeks when I needed a roof over my head. The laughs in that house were great, always a smile on our faces.

thats sad to here hope shes ok now realy miss people like this sometimes the scene justs seems like one scwobble after another and the characters that would always made you smile by doing or saying something daft are few and far between. owe f**k it pass me the barbs and a funnel lol

Guest bertie97

Will try and get down to this, used to enjoy Droylsden....very easy to find too whistling.gif Used to go down with the Man City crew...Mike Phoenix in his dodgy flasher mac ha ha

Hoping to good times once again at the Concord Suite,Droylsden.

Guest bertie97

hope this gets a good turn out. would be nice if it does for the manegement to see its way for the promoter to run a niter

Just been down tonight to set the gear up.[awesome sound]All we need now is a good crowd.

ATB Steve

Guest bertie97

Hi everyone. Can't wait for tonight Steve... Been in King Bee this morning and Les tells me people have been speaking about it in the shop.

Cheers John

Good night in prospect,Johnny Beggs is back from the States{just phoned him}

See you later.

Steve