The Charades

Guest melandthensome

Guest melandthensome

Can someone please give me a price on this these days please

'fill my cup' by the charades......not as good as 'key to my happiness' but not far off...great sound :unsure:

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

CHARADES-WEEPING CUP is the flip of KEY TO MY HAPPINESS on MGM,so you get '2 4 the price of 1'.I would say to buy between £200-275 for a mint yellow demo. :rolleyes: nick

How much for the black stocker on these days...?

TIA

Roccia

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

A far better record than all of the above is "You Better Believe It" on Harlem Hit Parade by The Charades. Less money and played at Stafford.

Records from that era are always on the up (check soulclub.org)

Dunc

Much prefer key to My happiness Dunc.

You better believe it - was great at the time, but for me doesnt have the same timeless pull that KTMH does.

YBBI - has a very bitty backing track. I think its an interesting record in as far as it documents the anti war feeling in the USA at that time, but KTMH is a pure adrenalin thrill ride.

Social source share

Much prefer key to My happiness Dunc.

You better believe it - was great at the time, but for me doesnt have the same timeless pull that KTMH does.

YBBI - has a very bitty backing track. I think its an interesting record in as far as it documents the anti war feeling in the USA at that time, but KTMH is a pure adrenalin thrill ride.

Hi Mikey,

I always thought "You Better Believe It" was actually a 'patriotic' song not an anti-war song. Hence the initial intro taken from "The Halls Of Montezuma" the US Marine Corps Anthem. Great group The Charades.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub .com

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Hi Mikey,

I always thought "You Better Believe It" was actually a 'patriotic' song not an anti-war song. Hence the initial intro taken from "The Halls Of Montezuma" the US Marine Corps Anthem. Great group The Charades.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub .com

You are absolutley right Dave.

But dont know what the opposite side would be called (Patriotic would hbe the obviousone I guess).

Anti Anti war?

:rolleyes:

Social source share

"YBBI", gentlemen, is IMO more to do with Civil Rights as the lyric deals with the guy saying he would fight for his country and defend fellow citizens even though he does not get their respect in everyday life.

Also a great 45 which may suffer collectibility-wise from being on that Harlem Hit Parade label which I think was primarily a re-issue vehicle for doo-wop mainly on LP.

Does anyone know whether there was one group called the Charades or more. They're on Okeh and Mercury [wasn't main office in Chicago] but is that the same group as MGM. Also doo-wop releases I think. AVA label rings a bell.

ROD

Social source share

"YBBI", gentlemen, is IMO more to do with Civil Rights as the lyric deals with the guy saying he would fight for his country and defend fellow citizens even though he does not get their respect in everyday life.

Also a great 45 which may suffer collectibility-wise from being on that Harlem Hit Parade label which I think was primarily a re-issue vehicle for doo-wop mainly on LP.

Does anyone know whether there was one group called the Charades or more. They're on Okeh and Mercury [wasn't main office in Chicago] but is that the same group as MGM. Also doo-wop releases I think. AVA label rings a bell.

ROD

Thought the MGM group (at least) was from New York and wasn't Cuba Gooding with them?

Social source share

Tony, not according to my vast knowledge and experience, recently gained by typing in Cuba Gooding in my search engine. Seems he was in the Poets [symbol or Red Bird - same group?] and Main Ingredient were Insiders before settling on that name.

So do you think you should be representing this country as an international DJ with such a sketchy and woeful grasp of 60's soul history.

ROD

Social source share

Tony, not according to my vast knowledge and experience, recently gained by typing in Cuba Gooding in my search engine. Seems he was in the Poets [symbol or Red Bird - same group?] and Main Ingredient were Insiders before settling on that name.

So do you think you should be representing this country as an international DJ with such a sketchy and woeful grasp of 60's soul history.

ROD

Ooops, should've googled before I leapt! :rolleyes:

Poets/Insiders were the same group I have "Stuck on You" Red Bird credited to both. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Yes, but are the Poets on Red Bird same group as on Symbol, although obviously you are the last person I'd ask if I were after a reliable answer.

ROD

Charades on Okeh and MGM were definitely the same group. Charades on Mercury and Harlem Hitparade are definitely the same group (the harlem hitparade LP is all unreleased Mercury stuff). Don't know if the mercury group is the same as MGM. Poets on Red Bird became the main ingredient and are NOT the Poets on Symbol.

Social source share

In the words of Colonel Jack O'neill "I knew that"

Tony, how embarrassing is this that we have to rely on some whippersnapper from across the Pond to put us right.

Better stick to something we know in future. Who do you fancy Arsenal or Chelsea?

Feel free to expound on Arsenal's back four, Boba. No doubt you've got a better idea on that too than Tony and I, so why not make the humiliation complete.

ROD

Social source share

In the words of Colonel Jack O'neill "I knew that"

Tony, how embarrassing is this that we have to rely on some whippersnapper from across the Pond to put us right.

Better stick to something we know in future. Who do you fancy Arsenal or Chelsea?

Feel free to expound on Arsenal's back four, Boba. No doubt you've got a better idea on that too than Tony and I, so why not make the humiliation complete.

ROD

True! Although I don't keep my Whitackers Almanac of American Vocal groups at work anymore.

I don't fancy Arsenal or Chelsea.

You out on the lash with Mr. Withers then?

Social source share

Hi Roccia

The Key To My Happiness / Weeping Cup

Manships 3rd Edition has,

DEMO £300 - Stock Copy - £400

There is of course a 4th Edition :thumbsup:

Thanks mate... I haven't bought the 4th edition yet, has anyone the 4th edition Manship Guide valuation for TKTMH black stock copy please...?

Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

Thanks ---I have a lovely demo for sale, asking $500--if anyone is interested, PM me.

CHARADES..4TH EDITION

KEY TO MY HAPPINESS..DEMO..£300..ISSUE £500...

I DONT WANT TO LOSE IT..DEMO..£150..ISSUE..£200

Social source share

• 10 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert