Soulvation Dvd

Paulb

Bought this my dad for christmas. Wasn;t impressed at all. Expected to see some vintage footage and clips but instead we were greated with the remixed versions of each song and a laughable, modern day hand held camcorder video effort.

What a disapointment and a total rip off. This DVD could put you off for life if you'd not heard the music before.

Stay well clear everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest biggray1

Yes its all taken from the BOX SET ie Strange World of Northern Soul! F..kin awfulllllll!! This really is a piss take! The artists should have better respect than this! Lavine must have a Brussel for a brain !! Crap Electric ttwaty sounding Rubish!Wienerworld you all are WIENERS!

post-758-1104079900_thumb.jpg

Social source share

i saw this and guessed it was all footage taken from that steaming pile of SH*T 'strange world of northern soul' based on the tracks listed - thank god i didn't buy it.

"Strange world..." should be sold with a warning or better still removed from the shelves - has anyone actually managed to watch more than 30 mintues of it? I think i got to 29 minutes once.

Social source share

well i actually have a copy of this having won it as a prize on my local radio station, it is indeed a poor effoft was tempted to go and buy it glad i didnt as as stated all the acts are taken directly off the strange world of northern soul..

Social source share

my good lady wife bought me the "strange world of northern soul" a few years back for my birthday

And i had the pleasure of watching it all the way through because i didnt want to seem ungratefull for my pressie.

At the end of it all even she said what a pile of crap it was

Saying that

the groovy video effects were preety cool :P

Social source share

Hats off to Ian Levine. He has managed to do the impossible - unite the world of northern soul. Unfortunately its only united against him and his track record.

"Levine must go"....where have I heard that before?

Actually I think he has gone, but his legacy lives on & its managed to ruin many a christmas this year.

Did I say hats off?....I really meant heads off.

Social source share

The next time you attempt to watch The Strange World Of Northern Soul... skip the artist performances, you know what the tunes usually sounds like anyway. Not that the remaining interviews are of a high standard, but it is at least of some interest to hear the artists speak about their recordings and experiences (when they do...). It just pains me when I think about how great this thing actually could've been if someone else had conducted the interviews and not laid so much time and effort on getting the artists to "perform" their tunes. Saying that, the "outtakes DVD" has got some quite damn tasty bits on it, like the acoustic Bobby Hebb stuff, the lengthy Bunny Sigler segment etc. Watch that! Skip the performances.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Fair comment Sebastian, however, the desire to 'end it all' was just too great for me.

The bloke behind it had the money and the access to the greatest soul singers of all time (for me) and the net result is an almost total waste of resources.

Art is often described as 'making something beautiful out of nothing'

This DVD has managed to reverse the process.

Social source share

Cheers for this looked at the DVD yesterday in Virgin, but thught i'd ask about first...so now have my answer.. I did get soul junction for xmas...thats blinding it's only 15 mins or so, then theres a documentry, and also a blinding CD with it... worth getting, when you've watched the DVD you still have the CD after...

Social source share

Soulvation...For cash only i think....I could not sell anything that i did not think was of decent quality but others don't care...You sad greedy bastards..."Money money money,is the root of all evil"...

link

Sorry off subject, but how did your party go, well I hope? x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!