For Dancers Only? Sadly Not

Guest outonthefloor

Guest outonthefloor

For Dancers only?....If ever there was a place in need of a door policy this is it. The nite started well with a few familiar faces on the floor when we arrived and Ady spinning some decent tunes. Unfortunatlry the place soon packed out with the "Anywhere for a late bar" brigade, which totally ruined both the atmosphere and the dancefloor.

It was ironic that the venue is a converted church as i found myself praying for strength and patience on more then a few occassions as the dance floor became awash with both beer and groups of people standing chatting and pratting about. :angry: We stayed as long as our frustrations would allow and then took the early night option, saving ourselves for a top night in Luton tonight,

Oh dear what a shame... Theres nothing like a good Norther night ............and this was nothing like a good Northern night.

See you all at the TOTS.....now that really is for dancers only :yes:

XXXXXXX

• Replies 116
  • Views 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Cant wait for the scene to die when all the real dancers give up on it :yes:

Instead of moaning about 'any one out for a late drink' why not take time out talk to people and help 'educate them'

This night plays a vital roll in what should be done and thats bringing the music to a wider audeince of music lovers, long may it continue.

Keep the faith, i dont want it :lol:

Instead of moaning about 'any one out for a late drink' why not take time out talk to people and help 'educate them'

This night plays a vital roll in what should be done and thats bringing the music to a wider audeince of music lovers, long may it continue.

:lol:

Guest outonthefloor

Sorry, speechless there for a moment.....A bit patronising to assume everyone wants to be 'educated'.

I respect their right to listen to whatever music they like but good luck to you mate if you think you can spread the word you crack on.

I respect your opinion but personally I like to relax and enjoy myself in my spare time without being to to F*** Off while I'm dancing.

Luckily there is something for everyone out there, this nite was not to my taste....

I'll keep the faith thanks .... you can carry on with the missionary work.

Sorry, speechless there for a moment.....A bit patronising to assume everyone wants to be 'educated'.

I respect their right to listen to whatever music they like but good luck to you mate if you think you can spread the word you crack on.

I respect your opinion but personally I like to relax and enjoy myself in my spare time without being to to F*** Off while I'm dancing.

Luckily there is something for everyone out there, this nite was not to my taste....

I'll keep the faith thanks .... you can carry on with the missionary work.

I agree with you - it's not your job, the organisers should be able to deal with this sort of thing and tell them to have a bit of respect or get out of there

Guest James Trouble

At one point, there were some people having a laugh, messing around, enjoying themselfs. f*** a duck, shame on them!

The thing is two of these people, one of whom was a girl in her early 20s, possibly a teenager, asked me "what is this music?" and "are you here every week, it's fantastic?!".

At no point was there any trouble finding space to dance, at no point was the dance floor "awash with beer". I personally had no worries dancing in my eel skin shoes, and believe me, I love those shoes and I wouldn't let beer near them.

The floor was busy all night long, and in my opinion Nige did two blinding sets and packed the dance floor both times.

We welcome all feedback, and I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy yourselfs. Did you try dancing near the stage where there was talc on the floor and was really nice to dance on?

Did you notice when the bar staff wiped the dance floor, as we have instructed them that it is vital that any spillage is cleaned as soon as it is noticed?

Did you notice all the people with smiles on their faces, and so so many of them are familiar faces who have become regulars.

There is some great news after last night event, some of our regulars have decided to put on a warm up event at a near by venue, so there must be some people who feel it is a just and good cause. Full details as soon as we receive them...

We will continue pushing forward with this and feel that our efforts are starting to plant soul seeds in Essex so that "this thing of ours" continues to attract devotees.

At one point, there were some people having a laugh, messing around, enjoying themselfs. f*** a duck, shame on them!

The thing is two of these people, one of whom was a girl in her early 20s, possibly a teenager, asked me "what is this music?" and "are you here every week, it's fantastic?!".

At no point was there any trouble finding space to dance, at no point was the dance floor "awash with beer". I personally had no worries dancing in my eel skin shoes, and believe me, I love those shoes and I wouldn't let beer near them.

The floor was busy all night long, and in my opinion Nige did two blinding sets and packed the dance floor both times.

We welcome all feedback, and I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy yourselfs. Did you try dancing near the stage where there was talc on the floor and was really nice to dance on?

Did you notice when the bar staff wiped the dance floor, as we have instructed them that it is vital that any spillage is cleaned as soon as it is noticed?

Did you notice all the people with smiles on their faces, and so so many of them are familiar faces who have become regulars.

There is some great news after last night event, some of our regulars have decided to put on a warm up event at a near by venue, so there must be some people who feel it is a just and good cause. Full details as soon as we receive them...

We will continue pushing forward with this and feel that our efforts are starting to plant soul seeds in Essex so that "this thing of ours" continues to attract devotees.

James, keep on keeping on :yes::lol::lol:

I agree with you - it's not your job, the organisers should be able to deal with this sort of thing and tell them to have a bit of respect or get out of there

You cant just go up to people and demade respect, it arises organically through playing fantastic music, having lots of dancers enjoying themselves, talking to people and making new friends outside of the scene. This is what has been happening. As James pointed out, people returning and becoming regulars who may have been swaying around on the dancefloor at the first event whilst working out what we are all about. Now they put thier drinks down and enjoy dancing to, not ours, but thier music. We dont want some sort of totalitarian soul state where people need a soul passport at the door, are questioned about thier intentions for the evening and thrown out if they happen to bump into anyone or dare to walk across the dance floor with a drink in hand. There were indeed a few spillages from over zealous locals bouncing to the music with pints in thier hands, I did ask a few people to take thier drink off the dance floor and they were very happy to do so. I am loathed to have the night policed though with drink and floor etiquette police. Like I said, it is and will happen organically. Already locals are organising a soul warm up do in a near by pub as we dont kick off until 11. I do appreciate all feedback but I do think nights like this are vital to the lifeblood of the soul scene if it isnt to become stagnant and stop, one day, altogether.

Baz the first sentence is a asshole of a saying,i see you have got the thumbs up.

Billy

You cant just go up to people and demade respect, it arises organically through playing fantastic music, having lots of dancers enjoying themselves, talking to people and making new friends outside of the scene. This is what has been happening.

I say get more of them to come, the one's not really interested won't come again. But you may interest some to return and swell the ranks with new faces, always a good thing.

Keep it up guys.

Is that enough support James :lol: !!!!!!!

Talking about support, you coming to Soulshakers on the 10th :yes:

Edited by Dave Thorley

Used to get a lot of bods off the street at the Dome in the early days. One thing if they have a genuine interest in hearing new music etc. Invariably though they treated the music as quaint and could be seen jiving with their birds in the middle of the dance floor. Drove me f***ing nuts.

sounds like yer isp or browser is caching images

try one of below Pete

Mozilla and most subclasses

This includes Firefox, Netscape Navigator (versions 6.x and 7.x) and SeaMonkey.

* To reload a page and bypass the cache:

o either: Hold down the Control and Shift keys, and press R. On an Apple Mac, use the Command key instead of Control.

o or: Hold down the Shift key, and click the Reload button on the navigation toolbar.

Internet Explorer

* To reload a page and bypass the cache:

o either: Hold the Control key, and press F5.

o or: Hold the Control key, and click the Refresh button on the toolbar.

Guest Andy BB

Used to get a lot of bods off the street at the Dome in the early days. One thing if they have a genuine interest in hearing new music etc. Invariably though they treated the music as quaint and could be seen jiving with their birds in the middle of the dance floor. Drove me f***ing nuts.

Spot on Simsy.

It's like Mod clubs when the pis*heads come in and start pointing and spilling beer everywhere, the cheeky little tykes.

Of course it's better to take Baz's advice... "Excuse me Mr drunken scally thug, could you please take a few moments to consider the ramifications of your behaviour. Mods have a long history and some may not take kindly to being called Freaks. If I may educate you even further, observe, if you will, the way in which they all dance in time to the OUCH! GERROFF ME. HELP!

You will be sure to come back next week won't you?

Guest outonthefloor

Thats exactly what i mean. I'm not some soul Nazi but there were bout 20 peolpe into the music and about 120 people prattin about.

Anyway... respect to those people puttin in the hard work but this felt like it was for "brand new customers only"

Like i said it won't be on my "must go to" list but then thats the beauty of freedom of choice.....or is that only for the 'uneducated'?

I'm off to get my head down before Luton the rest of you can continue to pat eachother on the back.

Isn't it good we're not all the same.....Vive la difference......and yes.......keep the faith

XXX

Guest outonthefloor

James.. sounds like you need a stricter door policy!

You could start by banning reactionary old farts like Outonthefloor and Simsy! :yes::)

Keep up the good work! :lol:

It's sad that when people have nothing intelligent to say they resort to personal insults.

I thought this was a form for all views not just sycophantics (look it up)

Guest Fatius Bumius

What a refreshing change, for want of a better word, to read an Events Talkback post that went against the Promoters/DJ's.

I've never been to this event so can't comment personally on it.

A negative Events talk post can only have a postive outcome for the venue in question if all points the poster mentioned are taken on board and rectified. Should make for a perfect night and numbers would increase when the paying punters get exactly what they want. A perfect night drags in the crowds. Now and then a bit of criticism is a good thing.

Freedom of speech and all that :lol:

Edited by The Nut

Is this scene that I love really inhabited by people with this attitude? People jiving drive you nuts because they arent dancing in the 'correct' way? I find it all very depressing. There is absolutely no suprise that the scene is getting older and older when people with the gaul to not dance in the right way when they first hear the music are not welcomed. We have regulars returning and getting excited about the music because we dont have the attitude of elitist w******. I have had comments at Colchester like 'I wish I could dance like that', and they stand there watching. If they were ridiculed every time they got onto the dance floor they wouldnt stay around very long. How do you know someone jiving doesnt have a genuine interest in the music and that is how they wish to display it? If that guy who wrote the first post was correct about the night (which he most certainly was not) then I and all the other DJs would not enjoy it and stop doing it but it was far far from the image he was giving. If there were lots of people spilling beer and not dancing and being rowdy then I would also be pissed off, whether it was a northern night or any other night.

Thats exactly what i mean. I'm not some soul Nazi but there were bout 20 peolpe into the music and about 120 people prattin about.

Anyway... respect to those people puttin in the hard work but this felt like it was for "brand new customers only"

Like i said it won't be on my "must go to" list but then thats the beauty of freedom of choice.....or is that only for the 'uneducated'?

I'm off to get my head down before Luton the rest of you can continue to pat eachother on the back.

Isn't it good we're not all the same.....Vive la difference......and yes.......keep the faith

XXX

I have no idea where you got that there were about 20 people dancing and 120 pratting about. That is not the impression I, or other people I have spoken to, including the club manager had at all. It was the other way round if anything and to be honest I didnt really see any pratting about, just some locals not sure what to do with themselves, some of which I asked to leave the dance floor and drink at the edge which they did. Other locals were dancing in thier own way in whatever way the music moved them. Who are we to say in what way the music should move you? What I saw is lots of people - scooterists, soulies and locals dancing, drinking and having a great time. Sorry your time wasnt so great but like you say, you have a choice :lol:

It's sad that when people have nothing intelligent to say they resort to personal insults.

I thought this was a form for all views not just sycophantics (look it up)

=============

I always thought it was about reviews of a particular event as well, good or bad?? James knows I think he's got the right idea, but like any promoter has to take the positives with the negatives.

I think the whole thing depends on the target audience, if the same people are coming back to the nights each time, they'll become accustomed to the etiquette, if it's a different batch each time then similar things may re-occur. Either way its a bit early to be sounding the death knell of the scene because a few people have had an adverse reaction to the night.

Just a thought James, and if Mike's ok with it, why not put something on the flyer about Soul Source, it's probable that many of them don't know of it's existence?? They could put their veiws up, and you may get a better feeling if the whole plan/idea is working..... as I said only a thought.

Winnie:-)

What a refreshing change, for want of a better word, to read an Events Talkback post that went against the Promoters/DJ's.

I've never been to this event so can't comment personally on it.

A negative Events talk post can only have a postive outcome for the venue in question if all points the poster mentioned are taken on board and rectified. Should make for a perfect night and numbers would increase when the paying punters get exactly what they want. A perfect night drags in the crowds. Now and then a bit of criticism is a good thing

Freedom of speech and all that :lol:

I agree with your post that critisism is healthy if constructive. Its just that I dont really agree with the critisism as it was inaccurate and from only one persons perspective. It would be good to hear from others who were at the night. I had nothing but positive comments from people at the end myself. Shame the person who posted didnt come over to me and voiced his concerns so I could see and discuss it with him. Perhaps he would have had some constructive ideas for me for the next one. But since I didnt see it how he saw it, as didnt all the people I spoke to, in retrospect there isnt anything at this stage I would change. I will watch very very closely at the next do in March and see if there is anything at all that would make the experience even more fun for everyone there, but it was so much fun, Im not sure yet what that could be :yes:

Is this scene that I love really inhabited by people with this attitude? People jiving drive you nuts because they arent dancing in the 'correct' way? I find it all very depressing. There is absolutely no suprise that the scene is getting older and older when people with the gaul to not dance in the right way when they first hear the music are not welcomed. We have regulars returning and getting excited about the music because we dont have the attitude of elitist w******. I have had comments at Colchester like 'I wish I could dance like that', and they stand there watching. If they were ridiculed every time they got onto the dance floor they wouldnt stay around very long. How do you know someone jiving doesnt have a genuine interest in the music and that is how they wish to display it? If that guy who wrote the first post was correct about the night (which he most certainly was not) then I and all the other DJs would not enjoy it and stop doing it but it was far far from the image he was giving. If there were lots of people spilling beer and not dancing and being rowdy then I would also be pissed off, whether it was a northern night or any other night.

can't believe i'm agreeing with donna. i remember starting in the 1980s in northern and it was almost like you had to pass an exam. i mean, i liked the undergroundness (?) of it but some people took it too far. it turned a lot of my scooterist/ex mod mates off. in those days, there were enough people still on the scene - even in the alleged bad days - that the scene carried on. no longer - northern soul is dying as an event based thing and i forecast the last decks get switched off in 2021. in a nursing home somewhere on the outskirts of manchester, at an event attended by three sour-faced old bastards in bath chairs who are too deaf to notice.

=============

I always thought it was about reviews of a particular event as well, good or bad?? James knows I think he's got the right idea, but like any promoter has to take the positives with the negatives.

I think the whole thing depends on the target audience, if the same people are coming back to the nights each time, they'll become accustomed to the etiquette, if it's a different batch each time then similar things may re-occur. Either way its a bit early to be sounding the death knell of the scene because a few people have had an adverse reaction to the night.

Just a thought James, and if Mike's ok with it, why not put something on the flyer about Soul Source, it's probable that many of them don't know of it's existence?? They could put their veiws up, and you may get a better feeling if the whole plan/idea is working..... as I said only a thought.

Winnie:-)

That's a good idea and something I think we already discussed. We are in the process of getting more flyers printed so hopefully we can do that on the next flyer. :lol:

I agree with your post that critisism is healthy if constructive. Its just that I dont really agree with the critisism as it was inaccurate and from only one persons perspective. It would be good to hear from others who were at the night. I had nothing but positive comments from people at the end myself. Shame the person who posted didnt come over to me and voiced his concerns so I could see and discuss it with him. Perhaps he would have had some constructive ideas for me for the next one. But since I didnt see it how he saw it, as didnt all the people I spoke to, in retrospect there isnt anything at this stage I would change. I will watch very very closely at the next do in March and see if there is anything at all that would make the experience even more fun for everyone there, but it was so much fun, Im not sure yet what that could be :yes:

Bouncy castle,yes!! :lol:

Guest outonthefloor

This is the comment from the guidelines of this forum.....The aim of Lookback's is to provide an on site reference to the many different events around the country... to give an informed and detailed idea of what to expect to anyone thinking about going to a venue for the first time...

I had heard negitive feedback from this event but decided to go with an open mind for the first time and see for myself. The views i expressed were as i saw the night. I have absolutely no objection to people dancing in anyway they choose but most of the crowd were standing on the dance floor talking and josteling each other engaged in conversation NOT DANCING.

I have no ulterior motive for postng my views but just felt that others who may be expecting a good classic northern night may wish to consider all points of view not just promoters/Dj's bigging themselves up.

I'm not saying the music was that bad or that the venue couldn't be good but maybe if the Dj's asked people to move off the dance floor if they weren't dancing it would go some way to improving the night for everyone.

I think some pictures showing how the crowd was really up for it last night may be a good idea .

The door security at the Arts centre is of the tightest , spillages are taken care of as soon as the staff are made aware.

I am writing on a visitors pass from NigeB.

I just felt I had to say the promoters are doing a grand job at this location..where soul was pretty much the unknown amongst most of the youngseters that now attend. What is really uplifting is that they are becoming regulars ... they love the sounds.and are returning for more.

I feel , and have said from first attending this monthly event that we the ..norms ( I hate that word ) have to be tolerant if we want to encourage young people onto the soul scene. Grit your teeth at times :lol: and just add a bit more talc to the floor.

In time the talc will settle ..lol

Feel sorry for those that travel and are used to the norm... you are entitled to your opinion and I for one hope that you do return and help to encourage and support what is being done.

Please remember that 90% of these youngsters can't tell you all how good it was for them.

Fantastic news that a warm up do is on the cards !

post-1851-1172336539_thumb.jpg

northern soul is dying as an event based thing and i forecast the last decks get switched off in 2021. in a nursing home somewhere on the outskirts of manchester, at an event attended by three sour-faced old bastards in bath chairs who are too deaf to notice.

I can see me as one of Harry Enfields old git type characters :lol: I'll be throwing the helpers cds/ipods or whatever will be out then on the fire "call that music, neeeee"

Edited by richard

Elitist w******? How dare you?

If you read what I'd written I said that if the bods off the street had a genuine interest in the music, then fair enough. But p*ss takers are f***ing tiresome. And if jiving idiots in the middle of the floor (they always are) is something that p*sses me off, why should this be any concern of yours?

No need to get all high handed and condescending just cos some people agree.

Edited by Simsy

I think some pictures showing how the crowd was really up for it last night may be a good idea .

The door security at the Arts centre is of the tightest , spillages are taken care of as soon as the staff are made aware.

I am writing on a visitors pass from NigeB.

I just felt I had to say the promoters are doing a grand job at this location..where soul was pretty much the unknown amongst most of the youngseters that now attend. What is really uplifting is that they are becoming regulars ... they love the sounds.and are returning for more.

I feel , and have said from first attending this monthly event that we the ..norms ( I hate that word ) have to be tolerant if we want to encourage young people onto the soul scene. Grit your teeth at times :lol: and just add a bit more talc to the floor.

In time the talc will settle ..lol

Feel sorry for those that travel and are used to the norm... you are entitled to your opinion and I for one hope that you do return and help to encourage and support what is being done.

Please remember that 90% of these youngsters can't tell you all how good it was for them.

Fantastic news that a warm up do is on the cards !

Were they all students?

Elitist w******? How dare you?

If you read what I'd written I said that if the bods off the street had a genuine interested in the music, then fair enough. But p*ss takers are f***ing tiresome. And if jiving idiots in the middle of the floor (they always are) is something that p*sses me off, why should this be any concern of yours?

No need to get all high handed and condescending just cos some people agree.

I didn't say you were one necessarily, I merely said we werent. Neither did I say that p*ss takers weren't tiresome. I don't think we had any of those at our do. And if you dont want your jiver hating views to be answered then dont post them on a public forum.

Im not being high handed or condescending either. Stop getting your knickers in a twist :lol:

XXX

No disrespect to you Outonthefloor as you are new to SS (welcome, btw) but if you have read the threads about "For Dancers Only" you would have gathered that there has been, since it's inception, a majority of young newbies who despite thier lack of musical knowledge, at least havn't buggered off to some night club calling N.S crap. What is called for here is a bit of tolerence, because if as you say, there were only 20 soulies, v 120 non soulies, despite the music being played, whose night is it? I would be well peed off tonight at Luton if there were a gang of people messing around, spilling drinks because they would be in a minority as Luton is our night in the sense all us going know what to expect. I've followed the progress of "for Dancers only", and it will be interesting to see if, as Donna says, it evolves organically into the kind of N.S night that we have come to expect.

I didn't say you were one necessarily, I merely said we werent. Neither did I say that p*ss takers weren't tiresome. I don't think we had any of those at our do. And if you dont want your jiver hating views to be answered then dont post them on a public forum.

Im not being high handed or condescending either. Stop getting your knickers in a twist :yes:

Never said said i didn't want my jiver hating views answered. :)

And I'm not wearing any! :lol:

:thumbsup:

Guest dundeedavie

it's rather a shame that someone gave their honest opinion ( and there is no such thing as a right or wrong opinion) on a night and they get attacked for it

it's rather a shame that someone gave their honest opinion ( and there is no such thing as a right or wrong opinion) on a night and they get attacked for it

I dont think anyone was attacked personally, and if anyone thinks they were then I apologise for that. I think that there was just lots of different opinions going back and forth, some stronger than others :yes: I must admit to being a little shaken though by the thought of Simsy being knickerless :lol:

if i could poke out my minds eye , believe me i would :wicked:

:D What yer trying to say!? I've got a great ass! :lol::P Not that I want you clocking it mind.. :ohmy:

You sit here every day, looking at the sky, ever wondering why, you dream your dreams away and you're living for today, thinkin about my arris! :lol: