For Dancers Only? Sadly Not

Guest outonthefloor

It's sad that when people have nothing intelligent to say they resort to personal insults.

I thought this was a form for all views not just sycophantics (look it up)

Yeah, and I thought soul music was a pleasure for anyone to appreciate if they so desired, not just scowling, baggie-wearing keepers of the faith!

I assure you I don't need to look up the word "sycophantic", nor the word sycophant which is what you meant.

• Replies 116
  • Views 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest outonthefloor

Yeah, and I thought soul music was a pleasure for anyone to appreciate if they so desired, not just scowling, baggie-wearing keepers of the faith!

I assure you I don't need to look up the word "sycophantic", nor the word sycophant which is what you meant.

My my we are articulate, and so early in the morning too.....and yes more insults - how clever you are....

I am a new member as someone pointed out but not a new browser. I didn't realise you were supposed to only post back slapping congratulations. You have successfully managed to deter anyone else from posting honest feedback. And yes Donna i do feel it was personal.

If we only post when we had a great time then the whole thing becomes meaningless.

I don't believe i said people shouldnt enjoy the music I even take the credit for 'converting' a few people myself. If you want to go out and be sworn at soaked in beer and pushed around then unlike yourself i believe you have the right to do so but don't expect everyone to want the same.

Everyone is so busy getting on their high horse that they missed my point.........

Oh yeah and one last thing as you are all so broadminded, non judgemental and opposed to stereotypes......Why did you assume i am a baggie wearing old man? I happen to be a woman but then I'm sure you have views on that too....

I'm tired and off to bed, Luton was excellent....I guess thats ok to say...

My my we are articulate, and so early in the morning too.....and yes more insults - how clever you are....

I am a new member as someone pointed out but not a new browser. I didn't realise you were supposed to only post back slapping congratulations. You have successfully managed to deter anyone else from posting honest feedback. And yes Donna i do feel it was personal.

If we only post when we had a great time then the whole thing becomes meaningless.

I don't believe i said people shouldnt enjoy the music I even take the credit for 'converting' a few people myself. If you want to go out and then unlike yourself i believe you have the right to do so but don't expect everyone to want the same.

Everyone is so busy getting on their high horse that they missed my point.........

Oh yeah and one last thing as you are all so broadminded, non judgemental and opposed to stereotypes......Why did you assume i am a baggie wearing old man? I happen to be a woman but then I'm sure you have views on that too....

I'm tired and off to bed, Luton was excellent....I guess thats ok to say...

Yes, I try to be articulate.. as should you if you are going to sarcastically suggest to people they "look up" words!

I notice your gripe has now grown from people standing in the way on the dancefloor with drinks to: "be sworn at soaked in beer and pushed around". I shudder to think what atrocities these people will be credited with tomorrow. And btw, where did I say I assumed you were a man?

Guest outonthefloor

I have already mentioned being sworn at and pushed around but obviously there is more going on here for you...I don't see the benifit of continuing the personal insults and i stick by my review of the night as i saw it.

If people would like to go to the next event that is entirely their choice but i shall not be shelling out hard earned cash myself when there are so many other brilliant nights out there to enjoy.

'Nuff said for me, but you carry on by all means if you so wish.

Such a tough one this cause i can see both sides, i do nights in Brighton sometimes that aren't your total "clued up" crowd but they all have a fantastic time & the vibe i get back is superb BUT at the same time i've had some of the more shall i say "clued up" peeps & it has pi**ed them off.

I think if you're the promoter or the dj at one of these type of nights you get a different picture than a punter would because you're getting a buzz either seeing your club full or playing records.

Now this may seem a bit hypocritical but even though i put on/play at these sort of nights if i wasn't the promoter or dj i wouldn't go down to them, i'd go to a club that was full of clued up people who understand dancefloor etiquette & who totally get it, why would i want to go to a club that had ten percent Soulies in when i can go to a club that has a much higher proportion of people into it.

Simon :)

can't believe i'm agreeing with donna. i remember starting in the 1980s in northern and it was almost like you had to pass an exam. i mean, i liked the undergroundness (?) of it but some people took it too far. it turned a lot of my scooterist/ex mod mates off. in those days, there were enough people still on the scene - even in the alleged bad days - that the scene carried on. no longer - northern soul is dying as an event based thing and i forecast the last decks get switched off in 2021. in a nursing home somewhere on the outskirts of manchester, at an event attended by three sour-faced old bastards in bath chairs who are too deaf to notice.

Anyone care to predict who those last three sour-faced old bastards might be in 2021 ?

:)

Yes, I try to be articulate.. as should you if you are going to sarcastically suggest to people they "look up" words!

I notice your gripe has now grown from people standing in the way on the dancefloor with drinks to: "be sworn at soaked in beer and pushed around". I shudder to think what atrocities these people will be credited with tomorrow. And btw, where did I say I assumed you were a man?

=============

Shame you don't think about your constant insults toward 'baggies' wearers in every thread you appear in Dave, but I guess that's tongue in cheek eh? :)

Whoever the lady is she was actually at this specific event and gave an honest opinion, it's a bit difficult to refute what she is saying unless you were actually there as well?

Guest dundeedavie

I didn't realise you were supposed to only post back slapping congratulations. You have successfully managed to deter anyone else from posting honest feedback.

amen , wrote an article on a similar line a coupla months ago

=============

Whoever the lady is she was actually at this specific event and gave an honest opinion, it's a bit difficult to refute what she is saying unless you were actually there as well?

right on winnie , :)

outonthefloor.

good for you for posting an honest reveiw.

seen plenty on here over the years where promoters/the dj,s or their mates have bigged up an event.

ive often been left wondering wether the half empty ,atmosphere less do i attended the night befor was the same one.

glad you enjoyed luton last night.

wish we had gone but decided to go to the soul revolution niter instead.

no dought you will read rave reviews but again the majority in there had nothing whatsoever to do with the soul scene.

music in the northern room was top notch so no complaints there.

i wonder though as doner! says shes getting regulars there now,what would happen if the venue was moved a few miles outa town with no easy walkable access.

my bet it would be an empty night.

same with the niter last night.it was in a busy part of town that was heaving so plenty of folks out in groups looking for somewhere to drink/party.

my veiw on these kinda nights is you could put on a spice girls record in the middle of anyones set and the dance floor wouldnt clear.

good nights they may be but soul nights/niters that most soulies are used to they aint

outonthefloor.

seen plenty on here over the years where promoters/the dj,s or their mates have bigged up an event.

ive often been left wondering wether the half empty ,atmosphere less do i attended the night befor was the same one.

sure anyone who posts event lookbacks is well aware that anyone else can post up a view

and anyone posting up a obvious false view would quickly be pulled up

gotta ask, why didnt you post up your view then ?

because most of the time theres no point.

its the same as this post.

someone says how it was then gets shot down for saying so because their either not the promoter/one of the dj,s or one of there mates.

ill go back to lurking again :)

because most of the time theres no point.

its the same as this post.

someone says how it was then gets shot down for saying so because their either not the promoter/one of the dj,s or one of there mates.

ill go back to lurking again :)

I would say poster got shot down cause of way went about it - see my next post

asked why cause if people did not agree with views and posted, then at the least it give view a more balanced look and could help the promoting team.

may not be aware of the problem, or that some have different views on how the event went

sure it be appreciated if done the right way

Ask outonthefloor

was there a need to post comments like "Oh dear what a shame... Theres nothing like a good Norther night ............and this was nothing like a good Northern night." or use such a title as ...sadly not ?

if had posted feedback in a open friendly manner and without the crap above then, do you think we have all the hassle ?

you say likes of you been called for daring to post a "negative view" , I would say you getting called for way went about it, you just got replies back in the tone that you originally posted

Such a tough one this cause i can see both sides, i do nights in Brighton sometimes that aren't your total "clued up" crowd but they all have a fantastic time & the vibe i get back is superb BUT at the same time i've had some of the more shall i say "clued up" peeps & it has pi**ed them off.

I think if you're the promoter or the dj at one of these type of nights you get a different picture than a punter would because you're getting a buzz either seeing your club full or playing records.

Now this may seem a bit hypocritical but even though i put on/play at these sort of nights if i wasn't the promoter or dj i wouldn't go down to them, i'd go to a club that was full of clued up people who understand dancefloor etiquette & who totally get it, why would i want to go to a club that had ten percent Soulies in when i can go to a club that has a much higher proportion of people into it.

Simon :)

Hi Simon

I get stressed before my nights, as any promotor does. Its a difficult balance at colchester sometimes, wanting everyone to have a good time. If the night was as described in the first post then I would not have enjoyed it and would rethink doing it again. I don't just get a buzz from a full dance floor, what I get a buzz from is feedback and comments on the night - new people to the scene getting excited about the music and dancing, in whatever way they dance. I have asked for other people who were there on the night to comment because I and the other DJs did not see it like the original poster saw it, as we have stated above. It is just one person who seems to have had a bad night altogether and got into a bit of friction with someone, Im not sure you can totally blame the venue for that can you?

=============

Shame you don't think about your constant insults toward 'baggies' wearers in every thread you appear in Dave, but I guess that's tongue in cheek eh? :)

I have, James has, Nige has but no one seems to notice rolleyes.gif I think I know who she was now too, I remember her now

outonthefloor.

no dought you will read rave reviews but again the majority in there had nothing whatsoever to do with the soul scene.

i wonder though as doner! says shes getting regulars there now,what would happen if the venue was moved a few miles outa town with no easy walkable access.

same with the niter last night.it was in a busy part of town that was heaving so plenty of folks out in groups looking for somewhere to drink/party.

my veiw on these kinda nights is you could put on a spice girls record in the middle of anyones set and the dance floor wouldnt clear.

good nights they may be but soul nights/niters that most soulies are used to they aint

Wayne

I'm not sure you were at the same event as me. I spend a lot of time out in Hoxton and that was not your typical Saturday night crowd. The promoters sold 300 tickets or so of 500 in advance, so again hardly a majority of passing trade.

Don't know about the Northern room - although whenever I passed by it seemed to be full of dancing people - but the funk room was full of people who I hadn't seen in one place for years having a great time dancing to obscure and great black music. Just because a review is positive it doesn't mean it is back-slapping.

Dean

outonthefloor.

Thats a shame, people really shouldnt lie about what the event was actually like. Honest reviews are necessary and should be put in the context of everyone elses comments too :)

i wonder though as doner! It's D O N N A says shes getting regulars there now,what would happen if the venue was moved a few miles outa town with no easy walkable access.

I have no idea, it probably wouldnt be as busy but I would still do it because I think its necessary and I get lots of great comments and its fun. By the way, I am always out of pocket after this event as the venue doesnt give us very much and that goes to the DJs. If it was empty of locals then it would be fuller of soulies and would be a completely different night wouldnt it!

Ill test it out for you if you want, Ill pm you my address so you can lend me your spice girls record thumbsup.gif

Its a soul night - its great soul all night but we do dare to let non soulies in too :rolleyes:

hi dean

maybe as its the first do ive been to with 300/400 punters in their 20,s im going to the wrong venues.

you could put that night on in any high street in this country and get the same numbers through the door and the same type of crowd.

just my take on it but obviously we all have different veiws.

donna .sorry for spelling youre name wrong.

regards

wayne

I have, James has, Nige has but no one seems to notice :) I think I know who she was now too, I remember her now

==============

I realise James, Nige and yourself have posted alternative views Donna, and I'm not questioning that. There are however other views posted that don't reflect the actual night, more a specific view for the future of the scene, again no problem with that as a topic, but should that argument be in 'Events lookbacks', would have thought myself it would have been more appropriate in all about soul? I only say this because that sort of subject matter normally gets quite heated, and could detract from what you actually want from 'Lookbacks', which is feedback?

As I've already said I fully support James (other promoters) and his efforts, and think he's going in the right direction, so am much more interested in reading views of the actual night rather than an alternative argument that IMO detracts from the original subject. Just a personal viewpoint by the way, just trying to apply some common sense thumbsup.gif

Winnie:-)

Hi Simon

I get stressed before my nights, as any promotor does. Its a difficult balance at colchester sometimes, wanting everyone to have a good time. If the night was as described in the first post then I would not have enjoyed it and would rethink doing it again. I don't just get a buzz from a full dance floor, what I get a buzz from is feedback and comments on the night - new people to the scene getting excited about the music and dancing, in whatever way they dance. I have asked for other people who were there on the night to comment because I and the other DJs did not see it like the original poster saw it, as we have stated above. It is just one person who seems to have had a bad night altogether and got into a bit of friction with someone, Im not sure you can totally blame the venue for that can you?

Hi Donna,

Don't think it's abouut blame it's just about different perceptions of a good night, from my own personal experience the perspective as a dj/promoter is a lot different usually but not always of that as a punter.

For instance i've been playing at a club in Brighton now for 6 years, the other day i went down to someone elses club at the same venue but as a punter, it was a surreal experience, i had totally different thoughts & feelings as a paying punter rather than as a dj/promoter.

I think you & James should be commended for putting a lot of hard work into trying to get a scene going in Colchester but i don't think you should be too surprised when some people who are more used to a bigger Northern crowd get a bit disgruntled at some tourists, this is always gonna happen & is almost unavoidable imo.

Simon

if someone is going to criticise an event they should at least have the decency to put a name to their complaints of the night. If they had a problem on the night I'm sure a quiet word with the organisers at the time would have resolved the matter rather than slag it off the next day.

Guest Andy Brazil

I don't believe i said people shouldnt enjoy the music I even take the credit for 'converting' a few people myself.

highly commendable!

with all due respect,

could you describe how you were first "converted"?

my personal experience was as a spotty,awkward,14 year old(in the 80s)

who loved R&B & Motown,& was delighted to find out that there was so much to discover

&(this is still,true) that Hallelujah!,i could never know it all.

it was thanks to older,Mod,Skin,& scooter-boy mates smuggling me into

pubs,clubs,shebeens,giving me mixtapes,inviting me to parties etc.

& on so many levels,

i'd not be here if it weren't also, for the empathy,patience & kindness of strangers.

i realise,that in this more regulated era we won't be seeing too many 14

year olds mingling in the same way,

understandable,but sad.

im a soppy bastard so,i feel moved when i see 3 different generations getting on,

and doing their thing on the same dancefloor.

are you familliar with the depressingly world-wide phenomenom of new waves of immigrants

"shutting the door behind them"?

do you think people should have a working knowledge of the Kama-Sutra before they pop their cherry?

why do some species slaughter their young?

i'm not naive,i realise that, obviously

there have to be sensible parameters of behaviour

& yes, i've slung piss-heads out of clubs before

(& gave them their money back,while wishing them a good night)

i may be slightly devil's advocate /tongue in cheek here,

but i'd be (& i'm sure some others are too)curious,to read your reply to my 1st question.

there maybe some food for thought in that.

Edited by Andy Brazil

if someone is going to criticise an event they should at least have the decency to put a name to their complaints of the night. If they had a problem on the night I'm sure a quiet word with the organisers at the time would have resolved the matter rather than slag it off the next day.

Have been following this thread and think its all got a little bit out of proportion....Promoters (thats me included) have to develop a thick skin to this kind of criticism...quite simply no matter what you do you can not please all the people all the time....equally some people have tact and others dont , thats life! .....my suggestion is , put as much effort into organising your next do, as you have defending yourelf against this indviduals remarks ....and your sure to have another great night.....all the best ...Jem :)

Guest James Trouble

outonthefloor.

Let me know your paypal account and I'll refund your ticket and if you can get me receipts for any travel expenses I'll refund that as well, out of my own pocket. And come and say hi to me next time you see me and I'll buy you a beer.

Thanks for the feedback, sorry you didn't enjoy last night.

But if the people in were not soul fans I wonder where the 300+ advance tickets and almost 100 reserved heard about the event. Odd, because those tickets we sent out to England, Scotland, Wales Ireland, Portugal, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Finland, Holland, Norway, Russia and USA. Must have been the "easy walkable access", I guess :)

Edited by James Trouble

do you think people should have a working knowledge of the Kama-Sutra before they pop their cherry

I did ! i read the one on top of me Mum & Dads wardrobe several times cover to cover! before i finally popped mine :)

=============

Thanks for playing arbiter as usual Win, but I wasn't so much refuting what she said, more reacting to the way she said it.

"Every thread I appear in"? LMAO! Shame indeed!

ok got about 27 threads going on here

cant see a easy way of moving posts to other threads/forums

as all mixed up with other subjects

ask if any more soul rev lookback stuff post straight to that thread in lookbacks

if any more colchester feedback start up a new thread

Thanks for playing arbiter as usual Win, but I wasn't so much refuting what she said, more reacting to the way she said it.

"Every thread I appear in"? LMAO! Shame indeed!

===========

Not arbitrating Dave, but would have thought the first requirement for doing a review of a night was to actually have been there, and she was. What should she have said to get her point across then?

realise James, Nige and yourself have posted alternative views Donna, and I'm not questioning that.

Hi Win

They were NOT my views on the eveing they were Carmen's !

Who as my guest for the evening and felt very stongly about the unfair critism!

People are of course entitled to have there opinion thats what its all about !

I have attended this venue on several occasions now and everone has been most enjoyable!!

They are cerlainly not towny yobos that attend they are student types and are no trouble at all really.

I admire Donna & James's efforts to bring a Soul Nite to a virtual Soul Desert -ESSEX! :)

I find it amazing that before that night only Donna ,James, Ady and myself posted any thing about this event ! About 8 posts and a few hits :thumbup:

Someone comes on and post a NEGATIVE post and suddenly theres over a thousand hits and about 30 odd posts !!

I can only agree this someone who posted earlier only good cam come out this comments , the mere fact that the locals are organising a warm up nite before the Art Centered starts has good to show that James and Donna have planted a little Acorn in Colchester so who knows in time they MAY have quite a thriving Scene down there!! thumbsup.gif

In fact its starting already in a small town near Colchester called HALSTEAD some guys have already had there own Soul Nite and are planning future venues later on in 2007.

Its not easy what they are doing down there but good luck to them i wish them all success , il be back as a punter in the future ,the music and venue is superb the only way is up that i can see!

nige b :rolleyes:

===========

Not arbitrating Dave, but would have thought the first requirement for doing a review of a night was to actually have been there, and she was. What should she have said to get her point across then?

I think Mike's post has already answered your question in a way that anyone can understand.. whether they want to or not!

Guest outonthefloor

could you describe how you were first "converted"?

In answer to your question my first experience of soul was as a small child. Being the youngest my brothers were both skinheads and so i grew up on a diet of ska and Motown. However being 17 in 1977 i was part of the punk scene and didnt listen to much soul for a fair few years...well not that my friends would know about anyway! I first stumbled into the 100 club in the early 80's and yes it was a whole new experience for me. I fell in love with Northern soul and haven't looked back since.

Of course everyone has to start somewhere, I'm not disputing that but we watched, looked and listened respecting the obvious passion the people had for their scene.

If we had started to 'pogo' on the dance floor it would not have been welcomed and i expect we would have quite rightly been kicked out on our arses.

I acept another posters comments that the remarks i made on this event could have been phrased differently but everyone has their own way of making a point and this is mine.

I appreciate that people work hard to put these events on but i work hard for my money too and I Didn't enjoy it. That was all i said.

People seem to have hijacked this topic for their own personal agendas

I hope this answers your question Andy,

I haven't been to your do yet but will be coming in March. I'm sure it will be a good nite

I think Mike's post has already answered your question in a way that anyone can understand.. whether they want to or not!

============

Completely understood Mike's post and agreed with it, tact is a far better way of dealing with things, but wouldn't say 'banning reactionary old farts' even with a couple of smileys is a very good example of it!

There's a few hundred points here so I won't comment on every one, just a few.

For me the night was good fun, a tough crowd to DJ to in some ways because there were out and out soul fans, scooterist soul fans and students. I got the impression that everyone had a very good night though and was surprised to see OOTF's comments as I hadn't noticed any problems like that; sorry you weren't happy and of course it's fair enough to comment but I think the topic heading could have been kinder to D & J who work hard on this event (I just turn up, clear the floor, get pissed and waltz around a bit).

Funnily enough pogoing on a Northern dancefloor is one of my best moves and was a regular highlight of my early 80s routine. This was a wild time for the London soul scene as we were all younger, dafter and full of excess energy. Pete Wid was handy with a tea tray for "Rawhide" moments and Randy and I had a horrific beer fight at one of the Wimbledon dos. This highlights the difference between a soul night and an all nighter for me. The former is more fun and beer, the latter more serious and gear (in attitude rather than practice these days). The first 6TS nights were very much in this party spirit and it's how we got it to become so popular down here. Once we started on nighters though it got more hardcore.

So I can understand OOTF's concern but as everyone else was quite happy so there's not too much cause for concern. Sometimes you end up at a place that's not to your liking, so you don't go back; your choice. As a promoter I'm always happy for feedback of all kinds, some you act on, others you don't as there are usually two or more points of view.

So people just carry on doing the same old thing to an ever aging and diminishing hardcore of soulies? If the student's / tourists or whatever come in and hear the music and like it then it's gotta be good in the long run. If a Donna says she's now starting to get regulars coming back then it's great. A few well chosen words and an encouraging manner is all thats needed to show them what is and isn't acceptable behavior. Night's like this are what's needed if the scene is to continue. I'm looking forward to playing a few there next month.

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the people whose behaviour may not have been to the liking of OOTF were 'student types' ; will if this is the case then when this fraternity move on (back home or to their new found careers once uni has finished for them) then their attendance will obviously cease. It seems to me that northern within a uni setting is just another retro type scene to be into for the time being. This is not a criticism of the students but just by personal observation of a similar type of thing happening where my sons are at uni.

When time moves on then the retro thing will be for the next generation of students the young romantics era or something else. I'm not being cynical but am just seeing things the way they are. I really think that uni students in the majority see northern venues as a night out with a late bar and somewhere 'different' to go. I don't think it is seen in the same way as us who are more committed to the scene as a whole and over many years. Try and educate them by all means but I think they probably have enough education throughout the semesters as it is!

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the people whose behaviour may not have been to the liking of OOTF were 'student types' ; will if this is the case then when this fraternity move on (back home or to their new found careers once uni has finished for them) then their attendance will obviously cease. It seems to me that northern within a uni setting is just another retro type scene to be into for the time being. This is not a criticism of the students but just by personal observation of a similar type of thing happening where my sons are at uni.

When time moves on then the retro thing will be for the next generation of students the young romantics era or something else. I'm not being cynical but am just seeing things the way they are. I really think that uni students in the majority see northern venues as a night out with a late bar and somewhere 'different' to go. I don't think it is seen in the same way as us who are more committed to the scene as a whole and over many years. Try and educate them by all means but I think they probably have enough education throughout the semesters as it is!

And if just a handfull actually get into it and want to dig further and get involved in the "scene" then it's a worthwhile excercise surely?

Who's to say they won't?

One things for sure tho - they won't if they're made to feel as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit by the "proper soulies"...

And if just a handfull actually get into it and want to dig further and get involved in the "scene" then it's a worthwhile excercise surely?

Who's to say they won't?

One things for sure tho - they won't if they're made to feel as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit by the "proper soulies"...

Some nice sentiments Ian but you know as well as i do coming from the Mod thing that you either get a scene or you don't.

I agree with you that all people should be made to feel welcomed but as Bridget says above for a lot of these people it is just a cool fad & next week they'll be into Electro or sommat else, not that there's anything wrong with that but from where i see it that's how things are.

I do commend however people like James & Donna's efforts into trying to get new blood into it, god knows how hard we've tried in Brighton over the years with some success occasionally but i just don't see a new young hardcore of Soulies on the horizon, just a few people dabbling, i hope i'm proved totally wrong though!

Simon

I think on the soul scene we are all guilty of wearing rose coloured spectacles I know I am, the depression I suffer coming back to reality after a Cleethorpes weekender I may have to get to counciling for?. If you travel passed Shordith High Street regular you see the yellow police boards asking for witnesses to a murder, stabbing or homophobic beating, its not a safe world.

I have had more than my fair share of good soul nights without any trouble, I am sure a good door policy dose help. Someone mentioned the Dome earlier, I remember a night that some guy's not from the soul scene were hassling some girl friends of mine and a straight f**k off is the best reply any problems after that head for the bouncers to get you out of trouble but most problems never get out of hand.

Edited by Prophonics 2026

At the end of the day, doesn't this boil down to the same old ridiculous argument "we're soulies, we're better than them". Because thats exactly what its all about. Before someone comes on and says, " but you weren't there, , its not about the night, its about the presumption that people who are " handbaggers" (my word), are somehow a lower species than us "soulies" (another arrogant term imo).

Are we to assume that everybody on the N. Soul scene didn't start of as a "div" or didn't have a clue as to what the "etiquette" is. Its a joke. Younger people (and imo thats the problem word for many people ),are a thing that many "soulies" today can't accept that they don't, and can't have a clue about how to behave at a Northern do, but obviously, when we all started 20/30 + years ago, we fitted into it quite nicely, and knew exactly how to behave, in an environment probably totally alien to how you behaved in clubs then. Or did eveybody come into it as a 40+ year old veteran ?

I have no allegiance either way, I've met James and bought records off him, the exchanges i've had with DonnaD on here, she probably hates me, but those two individuals will, imo, do more than all the moaners and "traditionalists" (not you Win, you know where I'm coming from,) to keep the scene alive than anybody who wants to present their "soul credentials" to an audience that simply wants to listen to the music and dance.

I didn't go in for all the "keep the faith" b*llocks" 30 years ago. Spread it, is a much more relevant phrase.

Edited by SteveM

At the end of the day, doesn't this boil down to the same old ridiculous argument "we're soulies, we're better than them". Because thats exactly what its all about. Before someone comes on and says, " but you weren't there, , its not about the night, its about the presumption that people who are " handbaggers" (my word), are somehow a lower species than us "soulies" (another arrogant term imo).

Are we to assume that everybody on the N. Soul scene didn't start of as a "div" or didn't have a clue as to what the "etiquette" is. Its a joke. Younger people (and imo thats the problem word with many "soulies" today don't, and can't have a clue about how to behave at a Northern do, but obviously, when we all started 20/30 + years ago, we fitted into it quite nicely, and new exactly how to behave, in an environment probably totally alien to how you behaved in clubs then. Or did eveybody come into it as a 40+ year old veteran ?

I have nn egience either way, I've met James and bought records off him, the exchanges i've had with DonnaD on here, she probably hates me, but those two individuals will, imo, do more than all the moaners and "trditionalists" (not you Win, you know where I'm coming from,) to keep the scene alive than anybody who wants to present their "soul credentials" to

Guest Paul Brennan

Quite obviously you do need to look it up,it's an adjective of sycophant, you smart arsed politically correct person that you are.

Are we to assume that everybody on the N. Soul scene didn't start of as a "div" or didn't have a clue as to what the "etiquette" is. Its a joke. Younger people (and imo thats the problem word for many people ),are a thing that many "soulies" today can't accept that they don't, and can't have a clue about how to behave at a Northern do, but obviously, when we all started 20/30 + years ago, we fitted into it quite nicely, and knew exactly how to behave, in an environment probably totally alien to how you behaved in clubs then. Or did eveybody come into it as a 40+ year old veteran ?

I have no allegiance either way, I've met James and bought records off him, the exchanges i've had with DonnaD on here, she probably hates me, but those two individuals will, imo, do more than all the moaners and "traditionalists" (not you Win, you know where I'm coming from,) to keep the scene alive than anybody who wants to present their "soul credentials" to an audience that simply wants to listen to the music and dance.

I didn't go in for all the "keep the faith" b*llocks" 30 years ago. Spread it, is a much more relevant phrase.

Good post sir! :wicked:

Quite obviously you do need to look it up,it's an adjective of sycophant, you smart arsed politically correct person that you are.

Erm.. I know it's an adjective. And therefore this forum cannot be populated by sycophantics, as OOTF suggested, but rather by sycophants, the noun.

BTW.. looks like there's two of us then! :wicked:

Guest Paul Brennan

Erm.. I know it's an adjective. And therefore this forum cannot be populated by sycophantics, as OOTF suggested, but rather by sycophants, the noun.

BTW.. looks like there's two of us then! :shades:

Yeh re read it think your right, but your still a smart arse yes.gif think we would probably get on really well if we met, I really appreciate intelligent discussion, and you deffo know what you are talking about. But think you need to know my cousin is a solicitor in Lincoln with good connections in the top barrister world so

quite happy to send you on your way to heaven :wicked: (thats not to be taken seriously, its probably a bad joke, see you at Middleton and we can discuss issue amicably

Much love to you, (stop bullying innocents)

Paul

Guest outonthefloor

Correct me if I'm wrong....(and I'm sure you will) but i seem to be the only person who has posted their views of the night (after all this is what we are suppossed to be talking about) who was ACTUALLY THERE as a regular punter and not connected to the promoters or dj's.

What I suggest is that you all go to the event and make your own mind up as I did.

Maybe my comments have drummed up business for the night. Mind you take hand cream, after all that back slappin you will need it.

Can we talk about something else now????????