100 Club 8th January 2005

My memorys of this whole episode from 2pm Saturday till 11am Sunday are a total wreck, i remember Janine carrying a "pantomine horse" in that boozer full of Spurs fans (well done Jamie for that suitcase with Leeds United emblazoned in foot high letters) Every time i looked at that wretched horses head i swear it nodded. Valatone was a total blur, Shane Higgins was smoking some of the largest Cuban cigars i have ever seen, infact he had a dwarf supporting the lit end with a "Whisk Broom". All the ladies played blinding spots, i'm a little biased as i know both Janine and Alison, but they were my personal favourites.

Finally a big thankyou to my fine friends from Leeds for the raucous company and the lift down and back. Boys remember what i told you to do if ever a mouse dressed in a hair shirt and flannels happened to run up your leg........... A BALL-PEEN HAMMER biggrin.gif

• Replies 164
  • Views 15.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Little Charles - Guess i'll have to take what's left - Jewel

The Adventurers - I've caught you cheatin - Music World

Drake and the En-Solids - Please Leave Me - Alteen

thumbsup.gif

link

Nice to see these three played. Rarely see The Adventurers played anywhere, great male group soul :D Little Charles just superb :D and the Drake And The Ensolids has always been a fave of mine, brilliant :D

Guest lagerlout

My memorys of this whole episode from 2pm Saturday till 11am Sunday are a total wreck, i remember Janine carrying a "pantomine horse" in that boozer full of Spurs fans (well done Jamie for that suitcase with Leeds United emblazoned in foot high letters) Every time i looked at that wretched horses head i swear it nodded. Valatone was a total blur, Shane Higgins was smoking some of the largest Cuban cigars i have ever seen, infact he had a dwarf supporting the lit end with a "Whisk Broom". All the ladies played blinding spots, i'm a little biased as i know both Janine and Alison, but they were my personal favourites.

Finally a  big thankyou to my fine friends from Leeds for the raucous company and the lift down and back. Boys remember what i told you to do if ever a mouse dressed in a hair shirt and flannels happened to run up your leg........... A BALL-PEEN HAMMER  thumbsup.gif

link

whack it like a box of eggs :D

i remember Janine carrying a "pantomine horse" in that boozer full of Spurs fans

link

Pantomine Horse...I'll have you know that Blodwyn is a fine thoroughbred ! Unfortunately she's been kidnapped, and Nini has received a ransom note. I hope it's not another Shergar situation biggrin.gif

Just a Boys Dream ???

The obvious pre-nighter nerves had set in early doors. This I combated by having a Radox stress free foam bath (the purple one) a can of Fosters and a bit of minted chalk shaped to look like an indigestion tablet. I shall leave Janine's nerve remedy for her to tell.

Now it is always nice on these occasions to have a pre-nighter briefing with fellow team members. The meeting was set at the George Pub, opposite Euston Station, where a healthy number of Soul Sourcers were to be found and the merriment had well and truly begun by the time we arrived. It is nice to meet old and new friends from all around the country. And it was nice to see the one Londoner turn up too.

From there a short, but cold, walk to the St Aloysious Club; Valatoneless this month - but what was lacking in musical entertainment was made up for in the sports of pool; darts and talking bollox. As Dictator of the darts team it was a proud moment to discover that all SSCDT members are totally crap at darts and I wondered if they had been near a dart or board before. Equally pleasing for me was that darts team were practising talking bollox while throwing darts at the floor.

As I was in charge of getting Janine to the club on time we made an earlier-than-normal departure. For our drive to the hallowed basement we decided to take the Londoner and a chap with a sense of humour. Travelling companions chosen to 1) get us there; and 2) get us there smiling. And if that fails, we thought, they could carry the bags, record box and the horse in the boot (well, we thought the horse was in the boot...)

So yes, that thought did fail so they did carry said things, well except for the Londoner, who only had the strength to carry his own cigarette. Once in the 100 we had to wait at the top of the stairs (in Formations) while a bigger than normal crowd made their way up and to give Dave Rimmer enough time to sweep the dance floor. And this is when Jekyll and Hyde appeared (well, only one of the two). Now, people, if you have not experienced this before let me warn you: Front Door Kenny is not the same smiling amiable chap as Back Door Kenny. Two completely different beasts; one of which you should keep well away from - unless he orders you to do otherwise.

Once downstairs bags parked, bladders emptied, drinks bought to negate the aforementioned empty bladder and Roger Stewart annoyed; the music began.

This is where this longer-than-needed-to-be tale will come to a speedy end because; firstly music is subjective to the listening preferences of the individual; and secondly I know bugger-all about northern soul.

All the above are fact; they happened and we can get witnesses prepared to testify in court if need be (as long as court isn't held on dole day). The following is personal...

I enjoyed one of the best 100 Clubs I have been to - no mean feat as I enjoy all of them. Socially it was a blast and always was going to be with the pre-match antics - I am just glad that the night lived up to the hype.

Musically all the girls were great, with enough variety to please all; they should be proud enough to be able to call themselves men. OK, lets be honest I did not enjoy every 45 that was spun, there were a few that I didn't care for and a few that I would not care if I never heard them again. But we are talking a handful of records out of 6 and a half hours of music. And that is no different (in fact on the main better) to any soul night I go to on any weekend of the year.

I did not think it fair for me to pick out 'Bestest DJ' as all girls played great sets within their own 'field' of soul preference. BUT, as others have done so already, so shall I. My favourite spot of the night goes to Janine. Now, you could call me a sycophant. But that would be just stupid and childish. So don't. I have DJ'd at the 100 Club and I know how nervous I was then and that was with quite a bit of DJing experience; Janine did not have that same experience so Gawd only knows what her nervous system was being treated too. Oh no, I am not picking her as 'Bestest DJ' because she was nervous. I am picking her on the selection of records she played, and the way the set was structured. A quality selection of soul served up just the way I like it...

Someone said to me after her last record "Only Janine could play 'Out on the Floor'". "No" I replied "Only someone with bollocks could play it."

And so to surmise, and really you could skip half the crap above and just read this:-

An absolutely fantastic night - musically and sociably. I hope that Ady will see this as a success and he must be congratulated on it.

I got to wear my new coat and I got a hair cut on my way home.

Footnote: I wondered while writing this why we are making a special thing out of 'Girl DJ's'? They have ears, they have their own taste, are quite capable of cueing up records and speaking into a microphone (although some at higher pitches than others). So apart from the anatomically blinking obvious; just what is the difference between a 'girl' and 'boy' DJ???

Well I am sorry, but I take exception to one or two of Dave's points.

I as Deputy Dictator of the SSCDT can in fact play darts and I did a jolly good job of wiping the floor with my male team members.

Front door Kenny was a very amiable character, in fact quite chirpy I would have said.

Although you did have a coat on that I have never seen, as I didn't see a new coat bag in evidence, it could quite easily have been an old coat that you had at the back of your wardrobe.

My randsom note handed to me by a complete stranger at the 100 club read.... We have that disgusting creature that you call Blodwin. Unless you play disco tonight the mare gets it

It's either Marcelle (who also has Dave's lighter LOL) actually it was quite scarey just how good she lifted that one from under his nose, or it's that smelly brat of a little brother of mine

Guest Chris Waterman

My randsom note handed to me by a complete stranger at the 100 club read.... We have that disgusting creature that you call Blodwin. Unless you play disco tonight the mare gets it

link

I know who's got the horse and are you sure the note did not say Funk?

Guest Chris Waterman

OK Chris, so Marcelle is out of the picture for the horsenapping of Blodwyn....

...But we konw who has my lighter. Dont we....  whistling.gif

link

Her excuse was 'its dark down there'

Source Advert