Best Discovery Of 2004

Right, what do you think was the best discovery of 2004, either an unreleased track or a brand new sound........

For me it was the Anita Robbins "I Can Stand A Little Bit More" Grapevine discovery. :P

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

For me it has the be The Tiaras c/up 'Suprise' as played by Andy Dyson and Butch. Just a bloody great sound which has kept me awake on many a night wondering about its true identity!

Its fantastic that tunes of this calibre are being discovered and played after all these years and keeps me interested in the collecting side of the scene.

cheers

Paul

Social source share

For me it has the be The Tiaras c/up 'Suprise' as played by Andy Dyson and Butch. Just a bloody great sound  which has kept me awake on many a night wondering about its true identity!

Its fantastic that tunes of this calibre are being discovered and played after all these years and keeps me interested in the collecting side of the scene.

cheers

Paul

link

I can remember Andy first getting the Rita & Tiaras cover up, blew me away, one of the best discoveries I've heard IMO. Think you will have many a sleepless night though trying to guess it's identity.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I am not sure if my choice was first played this year but it is new to me.

Currently being played by Mick H.

Stormy Winters 'Lifesaver'

:P   :(   :(

Shane

link

:(:D:P

Great choice Shane! I gotta have one. What's it on, BTW, i't slipped my mind, but I seem to remember its one of the majors??

Social source share

:P   :P   :(

Great choice Shane! I gotta have one. What's it on, BTW, i't slipped my mind, but I seem to remember its one of the majors??

link

only 3 or 4 known copies i think. usual suspects - butch, tim brown if i am right. not sure of the label. chalky will know???

Shane

Social source share

Guest Trevski

only 3 or 4 known copies i think. usual suspects - butch, tim brown if i am right. not sure of the label. chalky will know???

Shane

link

Bloody typical! :P

Anyone out there got a soundfile???

Social source share

Shane

link

It's spelt Wynters :P:( It's on Mercury, white demos only as far as I'm aware, half a dozen copies maybe. Sorry can't help you with the soundfile :P

Edited by chalky
Social source share

It's spelt Wynters  :wicked:   :D It's on Mercury, white demos only as far as I'm aware, half a dozen copies maybe.  Sorry can't help you with the soundfile  :wicked:

link

I picked up an issue about 8 years ago. The issue has Life saver c/w Foolish Dreamer on the B side. I played it out a couple of times without much reaction at the time.

Can post a scan or sound file if someone tells me how......lol!!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The Richie Corbin Trio featuring Barbara Trent "A Woman Is Made For A Man" is the best discovery of this year for me.

Propa stomping soul. Shame no "northern soul" DJs have got it though, because I think it would go down a treat. :wicked:

Social source share

I personally think the "Surprise" tune is a bit too poppy and girlie for me (though it will no doubt appeal to large portions of the scene), "Lifesaver" is better but not really me either. None of them are new for 2004 though, Andy played "Surprise" when he was over here in December 2002, and "Lifesaver" was played at least in 2003, possibly earlier, so none of them count as new for 2004 regardless of what you think of them as tunes. The J.J. Jackson CU might not be new for 2004 either, but slightly newer than the others perhaps (Chalky?), and a much better tune IMO, great traditional pounding northern soul.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I personally think the "Surprise" tune is a bit too poppy and girlie for me (though it will no doubt appeal to large portions of the scene), "Lifesaver" is better but not really me either. None of them are new for 2004 though, Andy played "Surprise" when he was over here in December 2002, and "Lifesaver" was played at least in 2003, possibly earlier, so none of them count as new for 2004 regardless of what you think of them as tunes. The J.J. Jackson CU might not be new for 2004 either, but slightly newer than the others perhaps (Chalky?), and a much better tune IMO, great traditional pounding northern soul.

link

Agree with all your comments about how new the above are for some. Think I was the second to hear "Surprise" September/October 2002. Lifesaver Butch was playing this early/mid 2002 as well, certainly spun at Cleggy that year although it has been known to some collectors many years.

JJ Jackson awesome and in my top 5 along with the Jerry Williams cover up but both been played by Butch for years although neither really taking of or getting the credit they deserve until this year.

Social source share

I can remember Andy first getting the Rita & Tiaras cover up, blew me away, one of the best discoveries I've heard IMO.  Think you will have many a sleepless night though trying to guess it's identity.

link

===============

Heard an excellent track last night played by Carl Willingham.

Good Baby - Survivors

Carl said he thinks its the only copy, was it discovered this year. Anybody got any info on it?

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest Trevski

===============

Heard an excellent track last night played by Carl Willingham.

Good Baby - Survivors

Carl said he thinks its the only copy, was it discovered this year. Anybody got any info on it?

Winnie:-)

link

It's on Valli.

Could have had a copy off ebay earlier this year, a guy advertised it as a 'Vondells sound alike' but put no sound clip up. Knowing what Yanks are like for 'killer monster rare northern soul rarities' etc I thought it would be a pile of crap, and left it! Think it went for about $200. Probably the one Carl got! :wicked:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

It's on Valli.

Could have had a copy off ebay earlier this year, a guy advertised it as a 'Vondells sound alike' but put no sound clip up. Knowing what Yanks are like for 'killer monster rare northern soul rarities' etc I thought it would be a pile of crap, and left it! Think it went for about $200. Probably the one Carl got!  :wicked:

link

yeah that's the copy I got. as far as I know no others have surfaced as yet. been playing it about 6/7 months reacation has been great. Survivors are Vietnam Vets who joined together after surviving [hence tha name] the war and cut one 45. the lead singer and producer have been tracked down and were amazed any copies survived. lead singer was injured in Vietnam and is confined to a wheel chair. cheers, carl

Social source share

Hey-what's going on here? I looked at the scan for the Stormie Wynters 45 and the catalog number reads "72505". I googled "Mercury 72505" and got this:

https://home.unet.nl/kesteloo/sapians.html

I also noticed that the scan has the catalog number sort of "shoved" together. They're not evenly-kerned (spaced) numbers.

Is this suggesting that two records were pressed under the same catalog number? :wicked:

Curious about this...

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Hey-what's going on here? I looked at the scan for the Stormie Wynters 45 and the catalog number reads "72505". I googled "Mercury 72505" and got this:

https://home.unet.nl/kesteloo/sapians.html

I also noticed that the scan has the catalog number sort of "shoved" together. They're not evenly-kerned (spaced) numbers.

Is this suggesting that two records were pressed under the same catalog number? :wicked:

Curious about this...

KTF

Jas

link

Don't know about the catalogue number being the same as The Sapians but the closeness of the numbers on the scan is due to there being a slight bubble under the label where the ridge is. On the Foolish Dreamer side they are evenly spaced.

Social source share

Butch's Masqueraders cover-up is a blinding record. Assume that was new in 2004. The record which gave me most pleasure to finally hear played out loud in a few venues was Jerry Washington's "Don't Waste My Time" on Glades. A brilliant, raw, funky record with tons of soul and crucially, that magical allnighter feel.

Social source share

Butch's Masqueraders cover-up is a blinding record. Assume that was new in 2004. The record which gave me most pleasure to finally hear played out loud in a few venues was Jerry Washington's "Don't Waste My Time" on Glades. A brilliant, raw, funky record with tons of soul and crucially, that magical allnighter feel.

link

Masqueraders c/u is awesome :D although I think he played it last year, not 100% mind :wicked: He played his Sherry Taylor cover up and another at the same time, last November I think, thinking it's the Masqueraders but could be wrong. Sherry Taylor "It's Beautiful" his best recent discovery for me, superb.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

mmm.. astounded the " lifesaver " got issued my copy and the other handfull are on pink same side promo's .was told the lead singer was gene redd's daughter or family member was a member of the girl group and cut it as a promo never to get issued ( don't think it's in the label listing ) but hey there's the scan ! i remember browny buying it from clifford around 10 years ago for £40 we thought it was a bit weak at the time ,but mother time has changed things - be interested to hear the flip side.

with regards the rita+tiaras c/up this would have been a winner in any era of the northern scene,it's got the lot black girl group ,custom made backing ,sax break and a perfect xover flip - mind you the knob head who taped the set probably couldn't fit it on the tape .

well pete you obviously ain't got a clue what makes a great northern tune....

Social source share

well pete you obviously ain't got a clue what makes a great northern tune....

link

Yeah thats me. Don't know f*** all and never have.

Reason I didn't like it, it's too poppy and it goes on and on without doing anything. Wouldn't have even been taken out of it's sleeve 30 years ago.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

mmm.. astounded the " lifesaver " got issued my copy and the other handfull are on pink same side promo's .was told the lead singer was gene redd's daughter or family member was a member of the girl group and cut it as a promo never to get issued ( don't think it's in the label listing ) but hey there's the scan

link

Andy, can you manage to get a soundfile up? (Just a portion of it would do), as

Jo can't remember how it goes, and my singing of it is driving her mad!

Cheers

Trev

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

mmm.. astounded the " lifesaver " got issued my copy and the other handfull are on pink same side promo's .was told the lead singer was gene redd's daughter or family member was a member of the girl group and cut it as a promo never to get issued ( don't think it's in the label listing ) but hey there's the scan ! i remember browny buying it from clifford around 10 years ago for £40 we thought it was a bit weak at the time ,but mother time has changed things - be interested to hear the flip side.

Andy

Not sure when I'll see you as I don't think I'll make Sheridans. If I don't see you before I'll bring it to the next Union. Foolish Dreamer is slow to mid tempo, not a dancer!!

Social source share

'Stop the Clock' is a unique sound that is instantly recognisable - unlike so many mediocre sounds that are really interchangeble. I can honestly say that

Stop the Clock gives me a buzz. I would have liked to have heard it back in the days when I 'buzzed' a bit more than I do now. But if it had been played then it would not be fresh now.And fresh it certainly is. I bet Dave Godin would have loved this. Shirley certainly knows the meaning of performance.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

i have just remebered an awesome sound of 2004.

The Condors ' let me down easy'

I think I may have let the cat out of the bag here because the only DJ's I have heard play this out is Ginger and my mate (on soul source - not sure if he wants is identity revealed. he may read this and own up to having one?)

I also think that Ginger is still covering it up and I have revealed the title and artist. He is not very tall but quite stocky so I better be careful! :no:

Fantastic record!! :yes:

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Not strictly Northern but the sounds of the year for me would have to be

Night Chill - Hop skip and a jump

For Real Inc - The Man (Masterplan)

Earth Child - It's our day

and from Ali

Ed Simpson - Pinch Hitter

Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings - How long............

Kenny Thomas - Him

Social source share

I think I may have let the cat out of the bag here because the only DJ's I have heard play this out is Ginger and my mate (on soul source - not sure if he wants is identity revealed. he may read this and own up to having one?)

I also think that Ginger is still covering it up and I have revealed the title and artist. He is not very tall but quite stocky so I better be careful! :no:

Great Record the Condors on Sheldon test pressing, think this was played by Shifty a couple of years ago before 2004.

Ian

Social source share

Great Record  the Condors on Sheldon test pressing, think this was played by Shifty a couple of years ago before 2004.

Ian

link

Ditto, great track!! As soon as Ginger played this I ran, well briskly walked, to the decks. Just to find it was a one of 2 bloody acetate, typical! Shane you were there that nite young fella me lad. And yes a SS has the other copy :no:

Ginger hasnt got it covered up

Social source share

Ditto, great track!! As soon as Ginger played this I ran, well briskly walked, to the decks. Just to find it was a one of 2 bloody acetate, typical! Shane you were there that nite young fella me lad. And yes a SS has the other copy  :D

Ginger hasnt got it covered up

link

i remember it well Dave.

Shane

Social source share

I also think that Ginger is still covering it up and I have revealed the title and artist. He is not very tall but quite stocky so I better be careful!  :D

Fantastic record!! :D

Shane

link

One of those that if it were common would it get played? Very ordiinary IMHO.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!