Best Discovery Of 2004

Butch's Masqueraders cover-up is a blinding record. Assume that was new in 2004.

link

Butch played the Masqueraders last night at the Union in Notts @ Kitch's birthday bash....awesome record. When he discovers and plays records like the Masqueraders c/u, the Profiles c/u and Gerri Taylor "It's Beautiful" c/u it just confirms his status as the number one rare soul DJ.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Two brand new releases in 2004 which I think deserve a mention are "Mike Jimenez-The Power Project" & "Ola Onabule-In Emergency,Brake Silence" both very refreshing modern soul music :D

Social source share

The Richie Corbin Trio featuring Barbara Trent "A Woman Is Made For A Man" is the best discovery of this year for me.

Propa stomping soul. Shame no "northern soul" DJs have got it though, because I think it would go down a treat.  :D

link

James, have you got a soundfile of this one. I have only heard it down the phone once in a pub which wasn't the best environment, but the track seemed a bit of a shrieker and more funk than Northern. I could do with hearing it again as I turned it down as a trade, and that may or may not have been a bollock dropped.

Jordi

Social source share

Butch played the Masqueraders last night at the Union in Notts @ Kitch's birthday bash....awesome record.  When he discovers and plays records like the Masqueraders c/u, the Profiles c/u and Gerri Taylor "It's Beautiful" c/u it just confirms his status as the number one rare soul DJ.

link

I was at kitchs do on saturday night chalky. How good was the music!! Not a bad record played all night.

Social source share

I was at kitchs do on saturday night chalky. How good was the music!! Not a bad record played all night.

link

Bloody hell wish I'd known you was going, would have said hello :D

Music was great. I reckon every doo should be a 40th birthday, everyone just has a good time and no bitching about the music, great night :D

Social source share

Not strictly Northern but the sounds of the year for me would have to be

Night Chill - Hop skip and a jump

For Real Inc - The Man (Masterplan)

Earth Child - It's our day

and from Ali

Ed Simpson - Pinch Hitter

Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings - How long............

Kenny Thomas - Him

link

I still have a copy of Ed Simpson on Gold Future for sale. Clean labels, vinyl looks maybe VG++, plays fine. Scan and sound file can be provided to serious punters. Still has not taken off as much as it might I think, so the time to get it is probably now, and not later...

e-mail: chrisherm74@yahoo.com

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!