Sick Of Cover-ups- Why Do It?

I spent a whole day driving back from the Ritz with my mate spending considrable time telling me Butch has found another copy of the cover up he has and that everyone will clamber for it. If its that bloody rare then why keep it covered up. Someone who purcahses this will have spent a tidy sum and if its that rare then uncover it otherwise some bright spark will eventually find it and it could be soon and then the person who bought the cover up :angry: will feel cheated.

Cover ups in the 70s were more for stopping the bootleggers IMO but in the year 2004 surely we have grown up a bit. Yes Its ok to find new sounds but it feels like some DJs are treating their audiences as Children! (Sorry Ill put my dummy back in!)

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I spent a whole day driving back from the Ritz with my mate spending considrable time telling me Butch has found another copy of the cover up he has and that everyone will clamber for it. If its that bloody rare then why keep it covered up. Someone who purcahses this will have spent a tidy sum and if its that rare then uncover it otherwise some bright spark will eventually find it and it could be soon and then the person who bought the cover up :angry:  will feel cheated.

Cover ups in the 70s were more for stopping the bootleggers IMO but in the year 2004 surely we have grown up a bit. Yes Its ok to find new sounds but it feels like some DJs are treating their audiences as Children! (Sorry Ill put my dummy back in!)

link

I know what that is, I'll tell you when I remember, I know it's in Tim Brown's price guide with a made up label - Pikachu :wicked:

Social source share

Sorry Ernie - I meant the bit about "have grown up a bit." - I disagree - there are still many greedy and lazy people out there - eager to make a fast buck on the back of someone else.

Social source share

Sorry Ernie - I meant the bit about "have grown up a bit." - I disagree - there are still many greedy and lazy people out there - eager to make a fast buck on the back of someone else.

link

Well said, Kolla, at the risk of getting another slap on the wrist, Im right with you there...... :wicked:

Social source share

:wicked:   no no no Pete - I wasn't going down that old route at all. Just don't see what the problem with cover-ups is.

link

In a "nutshell" Kolla.... it's the "I got this but you ain't getting to know who or what it is crap" that still "plagues" the scene to make "someone" better than "someone" else.... fcuk me.... are we still in the age of the "haves" and the "have nots".... so sad IMHO....

As said before.... we're all "grown up" now so why does it still persist.... if "a sound" is good enough to be played on the "scene" then why try and hide it.... let's just "big up" the guy/girl that has found it.... give them the credit.... and then all enjoy :wicked: ....

Let's face it.... in the year 2004, nearly 2005, then any "decent" sound still found from the 60's should be "embrased".... not hidden :D ....

I know what you mean about the "lazy and greedy" peeps that are still about to try and make a quick "buck".... BUT.... that's not us all.... only a minority.... "who" we surely know enough about after 30ish yrs to just "ignore" and think "nob head" about.... that's not hard to do.... is it ????....

Perhaps my "maturing" years are taking their toll :D .... but let's just all "enjoy what we have before it goes"....

Life is for living.... a "soul" is for life....

Social source share

As far as I see it there's still a place for cover ups. They add a bit of mystique to a record and get people nattering. Most of them get uncovered before long in any case.

If I was a top DJ/collector I'd cover stuff up. It stands to reason that if you've tracked something down then you want to preserve the exclusivity of it in return for your hard work. I don't really have a problem with that - it's good for the scene as it encourages those who want to hear a record to travel.

The only caviat in all this is that the record has to be good enough to cover up in the first place. What's the point in covering up a piece of obscure rubbish ? It has to be a sure-fire winner otherwise people just laugh and say "why the f**k is that covered up ? "

Hammy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!