The Amy Winehouse Experience

Soulsmith

I work with a couple of guys who have consistently either refused or been unable to get their head around rare/northern soul.

They have now discovered and are in awe of Amy Winehouse which is a good thing.

But still they are unable to relate her music to the tracks I play at work.

So, I'm going to do a CD comp for them. I haven't as yet titled it, but it will probably be called either 'The Amy Wineshose Experience' or Wake up & Smell The Coffee'

So far I'm up to:

Bobby Bland - Aint Nothin' You Can Do

Baby Washington - Let Love Go By

Etta James - 7 Day Fool

Darrel Banks - No One Blinder

Care to add....

Cheers

Col.

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest SteveSnow

I work with a couple of guys who have consistently either refused or been unable to get their head around rare/northern soul.

So, I'm going to do a CD comp for them. I haven't as yet titled it, but it will probably be called either 'The Amy Wineshose Experience' or Wake up & Smell The Coffee'

So far I'm up to:

Etta James - 7 Day Fool

Care to add....

Cheers

Col.

Hi Col - what about Wilson Pickett - Let Me Be Your Boy

cheers - Steve

Social source share

Stick on Fran Jeffries 'Gone Now' and Bob and Fred "I'll be On My Way" Marvin and Tammi's "Ain't No Mountain", virtually anything by Etta or Sugar Pie Desanto,

Social source share

So far I'm up to:

Etta James - 7 Day Fool

Care to add....

Cheers

Col.

Don't bother - you won't ever convert these people to Bobby Bland. Amy Winehouse is just the latest in a long line - I did exactly the same when Joss Stone put ot her first album with Bettye Swann, Soul Bros 6 , Joe Simon etc etc covers. People are not interested and simply don't care. And that is not a critisism of Amy Winehouse - I bought the album and enjoyed it for what it was - a decent pop record record.

Mike

Social source share

Amy who ?

Give me Annette Snell any day of the week. Now she can sing.

Yes, Annette Snell was one of the very best soul singers of all time, possibly my favourite female voice.

Amy Whinehouse is a good pop singer as Mr Lofthouse rightly said, but a little bit overrated in my opinion ...I'm talking about Amy Whinehouse, not Mike Lofthouse.

As for converting Robbie Williams fans to Bobby Bland, I think it would be easier to convert Catholics to the Muslim faith (or the other way round).

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Jean Dushon - As i watch you walk away

Maxine brown - One in a million

Esther Phillips - While it lasted & Just say goodbye

Gladys - Love

Betty Harris - i'm evil tonight

Bobbettes - Havin fun

Supremes - Love is like an itchin in my heart

Betty Wright - Man of mine

And if they don't like them, give up

Steve

Social source share

So far I'm up to:

Etta James - 7 Day Fool

Care to add....

Cheers

Col.

============

What about 'rehab', they might like that wink.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

How about Keep on Talking? One of the tracks sampled for Rehab (I think. sounds like it to me anyway)

Sliced Tomatoes. They'd recognise that from Fat Boy Slim.

And some motown. These things will keep me loving you dear etc

Social source share

So far I'm up to:

Etta James - 7 Day Fool

Care to add....

Cheers

Col.

Hi Col long time since I saw you out n about... think it was at the L.L at the Fox - which has now moved near Retford would be nice if you could make the April niter.

Anyway back on topic.. had same problem with work mates or non soul friends not understanding the music - but can't for the life of me see what Amy Whinehouse and Northern etc have in common. :thumbsup: Can see why they're unable to relate her music to the Northern tracks. I have listened to her voice objectively and Imo she can't sing :ohmy: - yes maybe by pop chart standards but couldn't possibly be likened or compared to the voices of the real soul singers we appreciate, there's no comparison again imo.

Great that you do them a cd, so they can appreciate it for what it is, but leave Amy in the pop charts.... whistling.gif

Karen

Social source share

Byrdie Green- Don't make it hurt

George Benson- My woman's good to me

Christine Cooper- Heartaches away my boy

Pauline Shivers- Won't you come back

Contours - Just a little misunderstanding

Sensatonal Little Doc- Looking for my baby

Na Allen- Everytime it rains

All the best

Manus

Edited by manus
Social source share

I think we are missing the point about Amy Winehouse. Her appeal seems to me to be the skilful fusion of a relatively convincing retro sound with lyrics and musical touches that are very much for today. The end result is extremely well-crafted and listenable up-to-date pop music that appears to have wide appeal. The voice too is surely special. A friend of mine who is not English heard 'Rehab' and immediately asked me "Is this Aretha Franklin?".

Answering the original post by Soulsmith I would play the soul deniers the classic and popular Aretha stuff like Chain of Fools, Respect, Natural Woman etc. And Baby Washington stuff like Leave Me Alone. And as other have said, virtually any of Sugar Pie's or Etta's soul recordings.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Anyway back on topic.. had same problem with work mates or non soul friends not understanding the music - but can't for the life of me see what Amy Whinehouse and Northern etc have in common. :rolleyes: Can see why they're unable to relate her music to the Northern tracks. I have listened to her voice objectively and Imo she can't sing :P - yes maybe by pop chart standards but couldn't possibly be likened or compared to the voices of the real soul singers we appreciate, there's no comparison again imo.

Great that you do them a cd, so they can appreciate it for what it is, but leave Amy in the pop charts.... :wicked:

Karen

Alas some one talking some sense :D

Social source share

I've also been down that road with workmates and it is a waste of time. Unless they are fed the music through Radio 1/2 or MTV they couldn't care less. I was asked the other day when the Weather Girls - "Its raining men" came on the radio, if it was my type of music. They think that if it is pre 1990 and the artist is black then it's my type of music. Grrrrrrrrrr

Social source share

Guest marge

Jean Dushon - As i watch you walk away

Maxine brown - One in a million

Esther Phillips - While it lasted & Just say goodbye

Gladys - Love

Betty Harris - i'm evil tonight

Bobbettes - Havin fun

Supremes - Love is like an itchin in my heart

Betty Wright - Man of mine

And if they don't like them, give up

Steve

some great choices in there, my 18 year old son took me to see Amy Winehouse, in return I played him some of mine. He loves Jean Dushon, Maxine Brown, Etta James (and ok some Shangrilas and Chiffons too), in particular Gigi and the Charmaines, all in all he wants to know more - so much so that he's coming to his first allnighter with me in March - so it's not all bad...? Amy Winehouse / mod revival of the 80's / KFC adverts, whatever, does it matter how folks get into the music and the scene as long as they have that 'give me more' approach? (that comment not directed at anyone BTW)

Social source share

Guest Kitchengroove

I think we are missing the point about Amy Winehouse. Her appeal seems to me to be the skilful fusion of a relatively convincing retro sound with lyrics and musical touches that are very much for today. The end result is extremely well-crafted and listenable up-to-date pop music that appears to have wide appeal. The voice too is surely special. A friend of mine who is not English heard 'Rehab' and immediately asked me "Is this Aretha Franklin?".

Think you've hit the nail on the head Billy. I was lent the CD at work and duly loaded to the PC, left it on random with all my other stuff, and the first track that comes up is the dead spit of a Billy Stewart track (I think it's I do love you). I was stunned either it was avery good sample, or can we employ those muscians to recreate that Chicago sound with a decent singer & song.

As for Amy, I didn't really notice her, and now I can't even remember the title of the track!

Dave

Social source share

some great choices in there, my 18 year old son took me to see Amy Winehouse, in return I played him some of mine. He loves Jean Dushon, Maxine Brown, Etta James (and ok some Shangrilas and Chiffons too), in particular Gigi and the Charmaines, all in all he wants to know more - so much so that he's coming to his first allnighter with me in March - so it's not all bad...? Amy Winehouse / mod revival of the 80's / KFC adverts, whatever, does it matter how folks get into the music and the scene as long as they have that 'give me more' approach? (that comment not directed at anyone BTW)

That's the spirit! :lol:

I have seen the future!! And her name is Marge!! (Or, perhaps, His name is Marge!! but I've lost the dramatic effect a bit now.....)

Marge! It's 'ALL ABOARD THE SOUL TRAIN'!!!..... And you're driving :lol:

Steve

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Put all the KFC one's on Col, that'll do the trick - Flirtations, Bobby Garrett, Frank Wilson etc etc ...

Yep, and that Sugar Billy track on Racetrack that Joss Stone had a hit with.

I think when doing tracks for people who aren't into the music its often best to remember the sounds that you liked when first getting into it, so they can go through the same process, some of the stuff that I just didn't get then sounds ten times better now, and vice versa.

Social source share

Going slightly off subject, who's familiar with a guy from Essex called James Hunter? He's a 40 something white guy who's been doing the pub and club circuit for years and has just made it big in the States. He sounds a little like Bobby Bland and Sam Cooke on some tunes. His latest album, "People Gonna Talk" is excellent for those of you who like a bit of R&B.

Regards

Gordy

Social source share

As Stuart said, familiar songs are good to get people interested. When I first got into the music I liked hearing the originals of "Tainted Love", "He Was Really Saying Something" and "Move On Up". I suppose these days it would be originals of songs that have been sampled recently.

Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

I fancy going off on one. :lol:

Since most of our spend most of our lives making little (and sometimes big) judgements about people we only know in passing, I often choose to judge them on their willingness or otherwise to listen to unconventional music from unconventional sources. Including (but not exclusive to) our kind of stuff.

Someone who really likes "Rehab" but has no interest whatsoever in the original and authentic music that influenced the style has a fundamental lack of curiosity about them, and no regard whatsoever for authenticity. That doesn't make them bad people, but it does provide an insight into the way their minds works (or don't work).

They might listen to it and decide that it's not polished enough (as many of us do with the original rhythm and blues stuff) or that it sounds at least as derivative as Ms Winehouse, which is fine. What is not fine is an inability to comprehend why authenticity in music matters more in choosing what you listen to than the considerations of convenience and fashion.

It has happened to me a few times recently that recipients of compilation CDs have come charging up to me few weeks later to rave about one of the tracks (usually a total left-fielder that I thought they'd turn their nose up at, delightfully enough). That doesn't make them saintly people and friends for ever and ever, but it does at least make them thinking beings who are willing to listen to something they've never heard of and form their own view on it. Most people are simply not like that. Most people are total dullards. It helps for us to know which is which. Yet another service provided by rare soul!

Social source share

Hi Col long time since I saw you out n about... think it was at the L.L at the Fox - which has now moved near Retford would be nice if you could make the April niter.

Karen

Thanks to all for positive comments.

Loads of suggestions/ammo for CD.

Karen, regret life no longer a bowl of cherries, will PM you over w/end.

Thanks again.

Col.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!