Spoken Intro

Guest Richard Bergman

Guest Richard Bergman

Fave spoken intro to soul record my top 3 at present would be

Soul Bros Inc - Pyramid - Will never be beaten, still convinced in my own mind its Brook Brenton making a cameo

Summits - Cant get over losing you - Great record - sounds sloshed which always helps

Marvin Gaye - Get to this - Simply for the fact that I know that a truly wonderful piece of soul music is to follow -

Any more for anymore ,

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

gotta agree with T & T - Please Operator

what a stomper !!!

link

Thinking about T&T. I wonder if it was the first use of a phone conversation as an intro to a record...

Going back to Samantha's 1970's I'm sure there was a phone call in Donna Summer's "The Hostage". can't remember if it was the intro though, and I don't have a copy to check :D

Social source share

Thinking about T&T. I wonder if it was the first use of a phone conversation as an intro to a record...

Going back to Samantha's 1970's I'm sure there was a phone call in Donna Summer's "The Hostage". can't remember if it was the intro though, and I don't have a copy to check  :D

link

There's a couple of phone calls in that record, doesn't do much for the flow of the track, in fact whoever plugged that should be named and shamed

p.s. I bought it

Social source share

Goes without saying that "Pyramid" is tops, but I think Troy Keyes 'If I Had My Way" deserves a mention, along with "Lord What's Happening to Your People". I love those intros!

One that cracks me up is "To Get You Back Again" by Karen Small on Venus. Anybody know that one? This voice says "Is he the one that broke your heart?" It sounds like a man barely trying to sound like a woman, in an almost joking way. I have to replay it at least tow or three times every time it comes on in my car. This stuff cracks me up sometimes. :D

KTF

Jas

Suprised no one has mentioned Moonlight, Music and You/What Shall I Do

Social source share

There's a couple of phone calls in that record, doesn't do much for the flow of the track, in fact whoever plugged that should be named and shamed

p.s. I bought it

link

Pete,

it was I, played for a bet one nite at sammies, although I would like to mention I broke Troy Keyes as well !

Social source share

Thought it might have been you....

What was the bet..

If I play this Donna Summer, anyone dance's, I'll break Troy Keyes.

You won.

:D

link

Amazingly difficult Troy Keyes, I remember the first time I played it at Wigan. Wow was that a long intro or what, people just stood and stared at me. So I included it my next tape and passed it around all the Morecambe lads and their friends. After a couple of weeks driving around in their cars they were raving about it, so come sat nite 20 people danced to it.....cracked it!

Social source share

Soul Bros Inc - Pyramid  - Will never be beaten, still convinced in my own mind its Brook Brenton making a cameo

Summits - Cant get over losing you  - Great record - sounds sloshed which always helps

Marvin Gaye - Get to this  - Simply for the fact that I know that a truly wonderful piece of soul music is to follow  -

Any more  for anymore  ,

link

Gerri Diamond 'Only You (Can Feel The Loss)'

cheers

Paul

Social source share

Soul Bros Inc - Pyramid  - Will never be beaten, still convinced in my own mind its Brook Brenton making a cameo

Summits - Cant get over losing you  - Great record - sounds sloshed which always helps

Marvin Gaye - Get to this  - Simply for the fact that I know that a truly wonderful piece of soul music is to follow  -

Any more  for anymore  ,

link

Kenny Smith - Lord Whats Happening to your People....sounds so naff and totally insincere compared to the rest of the tune, but I still love it!!!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

"just hung up the telephone"

Harold Melvin & the bluenotes......... Get out, even after all these years it still sends shivers down my spine.

Garv.

link

Probably my personal favourite as well Garvy baby get's me everytime, superb. The one that's doing it for me at the moment though is almost a spoken rap intro (blaxploitation style jive talk not hip hop) and that's on Four Real Inc - The Man (Masterplan) - Flying Eagles which is a tuuuuuuune!!!

Trouty

Social source share

Guest martyn

The one that makes me cringe is the spoken intro to Frankie & the Clasicals wicked.gif

link

I was just going to rave about that one! What about Brooks & Jerry for best gag?

link

Social source share

Kelly & Soul Explosions "Talking about my baby's love" (DYNAMITE)

...has a monster spoken-intro...

"The things I'm gonna talk about - you may not wanna hear - some of you may break down & laugh - others shed a tear..." etc.etc.

Luv it :dance:

Cheers,

Christian B

Social source share

And I know this has been touched on before, but exactly WHAT does that guy say in the middle of Travis Wamack's "Scratchy?"

My best guess: "Capital, please do it again won't you?"

Sounds a tad PG Woodhouse though don't you think? pip pip!

Social source share

Spoken intro that does it for me.....

Trippin' On Your Love - The Staple Singers.

Sends me Goosey every time.

WOOF!

link

That Beatin Rythmn

Frankie and the Classicals

Get Out

Please Operator

The unreleased What Becomes of the Brokenhearted with the spoken intro. Not Northern, but Wow!

Social source share

Spoken intro that does it for me.....

Trippin' On Your Love - The Staple Singers.

Sends me Goosey every time.

WOOF!

link

Mmm... That's a nice one indeed... "I don't need no weed or speed"... whistling.gif Be sure to check out the 'original' version by

Phillip Mitchell on Grapevine. A killer compilation!

Cheers,

CB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!