Guest the dukester

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Darks

Any dj's / promoters play this at your soul night??

If so what reaction does it receive??

Great record, played it out loads of times over the years. First heard Dean Johnson play it at one of his Funk/Jazz (defo not jazz/funk) nights in Manchester.

Always filled the floor in Manchester but not sure what sort of "soul night" you mean. Appeals to a Funk crowd but also is very r&b, hard as nails. I've always thought it could cross over in the right place. I hope that makes sense.

There is also another version with same backing by Frank Williams and the Rocketeers also on Phil La with Little Beaver singing. Not quite as good but still a great record.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Great record, played it out loads of times over the years. First heard Dean Johnson play it at one of his Funk/Jazz (defo not jazz/funk) nights in Manchester.

Always filled the floor in Manchester but not sure what sort of "soul night" you mean. Appeals to a Funk crowd but also is very r&b, hard as nails. I've always thought it could cross over in the right place. I hope that makes sense.

There is also another version with same backing by Frank Williams and the Rocketeers also on Phil La with Little Beaver singing. Not quite as good but still a great record.

Regards Alan

Alan,

We run an across the board soul night at Easington...... definitley for dancers, just dug this out and was gonna give it a spin at next one, just really never heard it at any other Soul nights. Your right though...terrific tune :wicked:

Social source share

Alan,

We run an across the board soul night at Easington...... definitley for dancers, just dug this out and was gonna give it a spin at next one, just really never heard it at any other Soul nights. Your right though...terrific tune :unsure:

HI DUKESTER

OUT OF INTEREST DO YOU HAVE ON 7" 45 OR IS IT THE 12 "PRE RELEASE BY SOUL JAZZ?

I HAVE IT ON THE LATTER ,FIRST HEARD IT ON A CD SENT TO ME BY THORSTEN WAGNER.

THOUGHT IT SOUNDED GREAT BUT WAS'NT SURE ABOUT UK SCENE TAKING TO IT?

NEV :wicked:

Social source share

Guest the dukester

HI DUKESTER

OUT OF INTEREST DO YOU HAVE ON 7" 45 OR IS IT THE 12 "PRE RELEASE BY SOUL JAZZ?

I HAVE IT ON THE LATTER ,FIRST HEARD IT ON A CD SENT TO ME BY THORSTEN WAGNER.

THOUGHT IT SOUNDED GREAT BUT WAS'NT SURE ABOUT UK SCENE TAKING TO IT?

NEV :D

Nev

Its on a 7"..........PHIL LA SOUL 325 b/w Without Some Kind Of Man, Will give it a spin at the Welly anyhow, see how it go's.......... (and yeah I do know......... round & round)

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

It's - to coin a phrase - a 'funk classic' in, erm, funk circles...be nice to hear a bit of funk when I eventually get to the Welly again :D Not much to choose between them but I prefer this to Frank Williams' try at it. Both versions also came out on Deep City as well as Phil la Soul. Oops, just seen an earlier post with the same info sleep.gif

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Has she made a bad record ?

everything i've heard has been top notch.

Need mp3s for the blue star if anybody has them. I saw a copy on ebay about a year or so ago and despite very poor condition it made a good price. Must be saught after :yes:

Social source share

Nev

Its on a 7"..........PHIL LA SOUL 325 b/w Without Some Kind Of Man, Will give it a spin at the Welly anyhow, see how it go's.......... (and yeah I do know......... round & round)

:thumbsup:

go for it dukes.

right place ,right time im sure it will do ok.to be honest i dont think anyone dances to a record first time round. i think it would be appropriate for a dj to ask people to maybe give feedback on a new sound by applauding or mentioning afterwards.seems a lot of records that dont get any floor action first time out get shelved .perseverance is the key!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert