I Have Faith In You

Supercorsa

I've just been on the Soul Club site and selected 7 tracks at random to listen to. One of the tracks was Doni Burdick's version of I Have Faith In You. I have the Edwin Starr version and always turn up the volume to it when it's playing in the car.

My questions are, was Doni Burdick's version ever released on a single?

Who's was the original, Doni or Edwin's?

Also (knowing my luck it won't be) would it cost the same as Edwin's, about £15?

Social source share

• Replies 59
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It's on the other side of Bari Track on Sound Impression - also came out again on Sound Patterns with Open The Door To Your Heart on the flip. I sold my Bari Track in 1994 for £75, I heard manship auctioned one for £800 but I'd have said £400. By the way, I think Burdicks version is ten times better than Edwins, nobody else does...

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I've just been on the Soul Club site and selected 7 tracks at random to listen to.  One of the tracks was Doni Burdick's version of I Have Faith In You.  I have the Edwin Starr version and always turn up the volume to it when it's playing in the car.

My questions are, was Doni Burdick's version ever released on a single?

Who's was the original, Doni or Edwin's?

Also (knowing my luck it won't be) would it cost the same as Edwin's, about £15?

link

1/ Yes it was, 2/Edwin's, and 3/ no it won't!!

P.S I AGREE with Pete on this one!! whistling.gif

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Trevski

I'm speechless. Doni Burdick's effort is a "so what?" record; Edwin's is a masterpiece.

link

May be 'out on a limb' here, but I never really liked Edwin Starrs voice. To raw and gritty for my liking. Burdicks is more mellow, and suits the song better, IMVHO, but it's really the magical, swirling strings and the whole backing track that makes it, whatever version!

Social source share

May be 'out on a limb' here, but I never really liked Edwin Starrs voice. To raw and gritty for my liking. Burdicks is more mellow, and suits the song better, IMVHO, but it's really the magical, swirling strings and the whole backing track that makes it, whatever version!

link

Now then!!!,trevski i would choose soul before rarety!any day of the week,soul is what get`s feet on the dance floor,all the rest is spin & one upmanship!,come on listen from the heart not from the wallet.(Backdoor)100 club. p.s love ya trev.

Social source share

It's on the other side of Bari Track on Sound Impression - also came out again on Sound Patterns with Open The Door To Your Heart on the flip.  I sold my Bari Track in 1994 for £75, I heard manship auctioned one for £800 but I'd have said £400.  By the way, I think Burdicks version is ten times better than Edwins, nobody else does...

link

===============

Actually Pete I agree with you.......I prefer Doni Burdicks version :-)

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Well this is splitting everyone down the middle. I prefer the Doni Burdick version because he sings the song better than Edwin does - I don't mean his actual voice, I mean the way he fits the words to the tune. The Edwin version has the voice mixed way too low and the Burdick version has an extremely powerful mix. But hey here we go again, how can anyone possibly prefer a 'white' version over a 'black' one without people telling you you're out of order :angry:

Social source share

Pete, (call me thick if you want) I take it you're saying that Doni was white. You learn something new everyday. :D

I sometimes think that people prefer the version that they first hear. It's interesting how this covers the subjects of black & white (if that's the case) and cheap & expensive versions.

Doni's is good, just I don't think it's as good as Edwins.

Trevski, how can you say that you don't like Edwin's voice?! whistling.gif:shades:

Social source share

Spot on.

Donni Burdick tends to narrate rather than sing his version  but still a great sound but comes nowhere near Edwins work of art.IMO.

link

Having never heard Donni's version before, and after listening on soul club. I agree with the above.

Social source share

I'd never in a million years say that Doni Burdick was a better singer than Edwin Starr, but like I said, the arrangement, production and vocal nuances in the Burdick version are far better than Edwins...for instance, the first line "I was told the other day, go on and leave you", the intonation is far better one one more than it is the other...it's like I was reading this nobhead writing about the classical influences on Beatles tracks and he pointed out that certain chord changes affect your brain differently to others so if for instance someone sings a note going up as opposed to down, that would register more positively with you. Which basically means, on certain bits, Burdick sings these up notes while Edwin sings them downwards and I have to say hand on heart, Burdick puts a lot more into his vocal than Edwin does on this particular...listen to the part "I said don't say it any more, cos I feel like I did before", the one showing the emotion is Doni not Edwin.

Social source share

I'd never in a million years say that Doni Burdick was a better singer than Edwin Starr, but like I said, the arrangement, production and vocal nuances in the Burdick version are far better than Edwins...for instance, the first line "I was told the other day, go on and leave you", the intonation is far better one one more than it is the other...it's like I was reading this nobhead writing about the classical influences on Beatles tracks and he pointed out that certain chord changes affect your brain differently to others so if for instance someone sings a note going up as opposed to down, that would register more positively with you.  Which basically means, on certain bits, Burdick sings these up notes while Edwin sings them downwards and I have to say hand on heart, Burdick puts a lot more into his vocal than Edwin does on this particular...listen to the part "I said don't say it any more, cos I feel like I did before", the one showing the emotion is Doni not Edwin.

link

Listened to it again, and Edwins,

I hate analysing music like this. Donni's version has the better intro, the girly backing comes in too soon in Edwins.

I listened to the bit you mentioned. Like you say Donni goes low. Edwin stresses, and his voice pops into a little falsetto for a moment.

That bit does it for me.

Garland Green does a similar thing in "Girl I love you" and dosen't hit the note clean, but that's what makes it soul music. You belive he means it.

Whatever rocks your boat I suppose.

Social source share

I'm speechless. Doni Burdick's effort is a "so what?" record; Edwin's is a masterpiece.

link

I am not a big fan of Edwins vocal style most of the time, but I think this is his best and most soulful moment, a superb production and tune too. Doni Burdick? :sleep3: Next there will probably be a load of people saying Doni Burdick's version of Open The Door To Your Heart is better than Darrell Bank's version. :sleep3:

Social source share

I am not a big fan of Edwins vocal style most of the time, but I think this is his best and most soulful moment, a superb production and tune too. Doni Burdick?  :sleep3:   Next there will probably be a load of people saying Doni Burdick's version of Open The Door To Your Heart is better than Darrell Bank's version. :sleep3:

link

Burdicks is the best version of Faith - fact.

How can anyone do a better version of Open The Door than darrell banks?

Social source share

I don't think that Pete S was saying that one version was pop and one soul - just that of the two versions of this soul song he preferred the DB one - which happens to be the white one.

Don't see a problem with that myself - especially as some people obviously weren't aware that he WAS white.

Cheers,

Godz

Social source share

I don't think that Pete S was saying that one version was pop and one soul - just that  of the two versions of this soul song he preferred the DB one - which happens to be the white one.

Don't see a problem with that myself - especially as some people obviously weren't aware that he WAS white.

Cheers,

Godz

link

Cheers Dad!

Social source share

I am not a big fan of Edwins vocal style most of the time, but I think this is his best and most soulful moment, a superb production and tune too. Doni Burdick?  :wicked:   Next there will probably be a load of people saying Doni Burdick's version of Open The Door To Your Heart is better than Darrell Bank's version. aggressive.gif

link

==================

Well I haven't noticed a lot of people saying they prefer Doni's version.....but I do. Will I be pilloried now?

There's just something about his voice.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

==================

Well I haven't noticed a lot of people saying they prefer Doni's version.....but I do. Will I be pilloried now?

There's just something about his voice.

link

Sounds to me like you have those Pillories shoved in your Earies !!!!!

TDT

Social source share

I am not a big fan of Edwins vocal style most of the time, but I think this is his best and most soulful moment, a superb production and tune too. Doni Burdick?  aggressive.gif   Next there will probably be a load of people saying Doni Burdick's version of Open The Door To Your Heart is better than Darrell Bank's version. :ohmy:

link

Gotta agree here! IMO Edwin's is a much better production, The intro is one of my top intros of all time. As an aside do ya think Doni Burdick had his eyes set on the British soul scene? judging by his output! :wicked:

Steve

Social source share

Edwin Starr's vocal cajoles and caresses; Doni Burdick's clumsily declaims. Englebert Humperdink would have done a better job on this than Doni Burdick, and Tom Jones would have done it ten times better. As far as the actual record is concerned, somebody criticizes the Edwin version for saying the girls come in so soon. It's actually their absence that leaves Doni hammily on his own performing what must count as one of the most unsoulful-performances by a pretender to the black tradition.

One more thing...I don't like the Doni Burdick version.

Social source share

Utter rubbish.

One of Edwin Starr's worst recordings.

Just cos he's black...

link

I think you will find you are the only one that is talking black/white, ( biggrin.gif ) as someone pointed out most, myselof included, didnt know Donni Burdick is white. I think Burdicks version is quite soulful although nowhere near as good as Edwin.

Main surprise is you like either version as both are quite soulful. :thumbsup:

Happy New Soulful Year

Jock

Social source share

I think you will find you are the only one that is talking black/white,  ( :P ) as someone pointed out most, myselof included, didnt know Donni Burdick is white. I think Burdicks version is quite soulful although nowhere near as good as Edwin.

Main surprise is you like either version as both are quite soulful.  wink.gif

Happy New Soulful Year

Jock

link

That's cheating!!

You've changed your earlier post that referred to pop music.

Play fair dammitt :D

post-1918-1105024576_thumb.jpg

Godz

Social source share

Well Ive just counted them and theres 43 figures in the one photo (not 10) and 5 sheep in the other photo (not 23)

:D

link

Europe for the in-DIVI-dual ?

tongue.gif:Plaugh.gif:P

Social source share

That's cheating!!

You've changed your earlier post that referred to pop music.

Play fair dammitt :P

post-1918-1105024576_thumb.jpg

Godz

link

No you completely misread my previous post which is why I deleleted it, my rant was obviously not as clear as I thought, and since I had written it in a foul mood though I would delete. wink.gif

Cheers

Jock "baa baa" O'Connor

Social source share

No you completely misread my previous post which is why I deleleted it, my rant was obviously not as clear as I thought, and since I had written it in a foul mood though I would delete.  wink.gif

Cheers

Jock "baa baa" O'Connor

link

Fair enough mate.

Here's a cuddle then

post-1918-1105028206_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

Godz

Social source share

Time for you to beg for mercy Godz...

mechagodzilla.jpg

link

I kick that big tin lunkhead's ass everytime and you know it.

Gotta go now. I have to make Birthday Dinner for Mrs Godzilla (honest!)

I'm going to flame grill some of those little jeeps with Radar dishes on top - they're her favourite! wink.gif

Godz

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!