Cheatin' In The Next Room

I've got a version of Cheatin' In The Next Room on an old compilation tape. I have listened to the versions by Jesse James & ZZ Hill but the version I have was performed by a woman. Can anyone help?- it's cracking me up!

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Lyn White on Waylo 1993, or Etta James on Island 1998?

Original and, for me, best version of this is Otis Clay on the Japanese lp "The Only Way Is Up", although I love ZZ Hill on Malaco too.

link

sleeve notes ( dutch 80s cd) briefly mention how zz hill got "cheating..." out first, take it same as lp notes?

up here

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/a...hp?storyid=1726

Social source share

Very interesting Mike. I should take this opportunity to urge anyone who hasn't seen Otis Clay live to catch him while thay still have the chance. He is without a doubt the greatest living live soul performer: sheer electricity from the get go, with incredible vocal power and stage presence. I think Andy Dyson made the point here a couple of mnths ago that many of the soulmen of the classic era are operating these days at half speed; Otis Clay is just as good as he ever was: a legend.

Social source share

Otis Clay is just as good as he ever was: a legend.

link

I think I said on an earlier thread that Otis Redding was overrated. Compared to singers of the calibre of Otis Clay, he simply was.

Just had a listen to "That's how it is", a song which was also done by Laura Lee. Male performers of Southern Soul rarely match the intensity of the ladies. But Otis Clay gets there. Having a name beginning with 'O' might have something in it.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!