Frank Wilson Find

Guest BIGBOY

There's a 5th in Washington DC with a guy right now. People who have 'rare' pieces will always talk up rarity. Adey Potts bought a copy a while back so will obviously want to believe its a 2 off. Nothing surprises me with records, they'll always continue to surface, because there was so many made. I don't know if the F Wilsons thing is genuine, but to be honest, it was bound to happen, its Motown for crying out loud! (you know...., press'em up as a matter of routine, issued or not. Like most of the other major collectors of soul 45s, I've paid 'large sums' for certain things, but there are people that buy records, and those that collect. If you collect, they're with you forever...., if you buy, then you play the financial rollercoaster of record finds etc, etc.

link

Hold up Donkey. Wheres this 5th bit coming from again? Are we talking about the "Ted Wilson"? It would be greatly appreciated if you could list all the collectors with a copy of the Rouser record. You seem to know a lot...

1. Tim Brown

2. Ady Potts (as you said)

3. Bollocks ?

4. Bollocks ?

5. Bollocks ?

Social source share

• Replies 122
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Women very often make better DJs than men.

Men will very often play records to make an impression.

Women aren't that stupid. They can generally accept a good record for what it is.

And play their sets based on quality not rarity.

link

Fair comment. I, for one, would like to see more Women d.jing. I know there's a lot of female collectors out there, due to the response i get from them when i do a sales list, so come on, lets see you behind those decks. :sleep3: Pottsy.

Social source share

There's a 5th in Washington DC with a guy right now. People who have 'rare' pieces will always talk up rarity. Adey Potts bought a copy a while back so will obviously want to believe its a 2 off. Nothing surprises me with records, they'll always continue to surface, because there was so many made. I don't know if the F Wilsons thing is genuine, but to be honest, it was bound to happen, its Motown for crying out loud! (you know...., press'em up as a matter of routine, issued or not. Like most of the other major collectors of soul 45s, I've paid 'large sums' for certain things, but there are people that buy records, and those that collect. If you collect, they're with you forever...., if you buy, then you play the financial rollercoaster of record finds etc, etc.

link

Hi Donkey, i think you'll find with this Frank Wilson thing, that someones dangling you a carrot. However, we've seen records "turn up", as was the case with Danny Moore, Royal Esquires, etc, etc. So who knows? Regards, Pottsy.

Social source share

The thing I find hard to work out if this is true is why you would want to broadcast the fact you had found 50 copies.

If i was in the position of finding that many I would stay very tight lipped about it and feed them out at a rate of one a year to give me some sort of decreasing income , who knows what the first one might fetch (or the last if i lived to be 94! 50p by then probably) , not job them all in at $300.00 each if this is the case.

Social source share

Just had an email from a dealer who assures me a whole box (50 count)

of Frank Wilson has just turned up on the east coast. Evidently it was about to be trashed with a whole load of stuff that had been lurking at the back of a warehouse. Didn't believe at first but a photo attachment showed said dealer with six copies in his hand. Al  white demos as is the normal, apparently apart from being very dirty one copy was cleaned and found to be in almost mint condition although label was dirt marked. Have already secured a copy for my collection cost me $300 but the guy owed me a favour!

Last heard KB was trying through Lou Stanley to purchase the whole box to secure his rariety! Was he not trying to sell some of his own stuff the other day?

Anyway back to wine women and vinyl, happy new year!!!!

link

Have you got any more "carrots" John?

Regards, Pottsy.

Social source share

Frank Beverly already was rarest of the rare. Theres only two of them. Theres three Frank Wilson's... or according to this topic .... 53 Frank Wilson's

link

There's supposedly another FW within the M25, a silent collector. Many of these about and who knows what they have in their collections. Gilly also mentioned a West Coast DJ back in the 80's with 2 copies, mentioned his name but I forgot who he said now.

Think personally it's fair to say that with it being a Motown record there was more than a handful pressed.

Social source share

I think there are more Milton James than that - Nancy had it, Manship had it, Tim Brown has got it I think, someone put it on tape for me many years ago off the record so they had it...

link

Pretty certain Tim hasn't got it Pete. Carl Willingham and Butch both have it, could explain where the copies from Nancy and JM finished up.

Social source share

i took the junior mc - king of gary spencer then sold it browny.this is the king file copy there is no more for sure.

milton james 2 known at the mo.

come on frank wilson is fantastic ,hammered but fantastic - most of the dross today don't come near.he ain't found 50 copies absolute twiddle and if lew was somehow involved the rumours would be different 3 found maybe , lets see em and cut the bollocks..

Social source share

i took the junior mc - king of gary spencer then sold it browny.this is the king file copy there is no more for sure.

milton james 2 known at the mo.

come on frank wilson is fantastic ,hammered but fantastic - most of the dross today don't come near.he ain't found 50 copies absolute twiddle and if lew was somehow involved the rumours would be different 3 found maybe , lets see em and cut the bollocks..

link

Imagine if the Frank Wilson was discoverd as a new sound today, it would be the most highly rated sound of the moment. It epitomises the term "Northern soul". Its just that most of us need abreak from it. I know i do, indeed i do, oops sorry. Pottsy.

Social source share

Hold up Donkey. Wheres this 5th bit coming from again? Are we talking about the "Ted Wilson"? It would be greatly appreciated if you could list all the collectors with a copy of the Rouser record. You seem to know a lot...

1. Tim Brown

2. Ady Potts (as you said)

3. Bollocks ?

4. Bollocks ?

5. Bollocks ?

link

Can anyone forward a soundfile of the Ted Wilson please? Would love to hear i the full way through... :sleep3:

Tooblebilthy :sleep3:

Social source share

Fair comment. I, for one, would like to see more Women d.jing. I know there's a lot of female collectors out there, due to the response i get from them when i do a sales list, so come on, lets see you behind those decks.  :sleep3:   Pottsy.

link

I'm going to see (& listen to) them this Saturday at the 100 Club! :sleep3:

Social source share

REMEMBER ROGER STEWART FINDING A TED WILSON EARLY 80,S FOR 10P IN RECORD AND TAPE EXCHANGE NOTTING HILL.I THINK THIS WAS THE FIRST ONE UNEARTHED POSSIBLY.

Social source share

Hmm tend not to get involved in politics due to my status as only an onlooker on the scene now but this story to me stinks of some of the "big boys" having a dig at Kenny, who from what I can see just does his thing and steers clear of the politics, for no other reason than the old cash thing. Even having been off the scene for most of the 90's I have heard the digs, whether Kenny spends too much money or not I think he is a genuine guy who is as enthuastic about his music as the next guy, and is one of the nicest guys around.

Until the pictures are produced cant we just move on?

Cheers

Jock

link

Hi Jocko,

You say "some of the big boys" in a plural sense, dont you mean "Big Boy" as in a John Vincent sense?

Pottsy.

Social source share

Guest mattmale

The thing I find hard to work out if this is true is why you would want to broadcast the fact you had found 50 copies.

If i was in the position of finding that many I would stay very tight lipped about it and feed them out at a rate of one a year to give me some sort of decreasing  income

That's a bit immoral isn't it?.... Good idea though! Although not an original one i fear.

Who else would do this? Who wouldn't and why? Maybe there should be a poll?

M.

Social source share

Guest mattmale

Yes Chalky

link

Um i reckon i'd want to look through that collection before i bought it... or even bid on it.

Even if i had several grand to spare...

Nice bookcase though.

M.

Social source share

If i was in the position of finding that many I would stay very tight lipped about it and feed them out at a rate of one a year to give me some sort of decreasing  income , who knows what the first one might fetch (or the last if i lived to be 94! 50p by then probably) , not job them all in at $300.00 each if this is the case.

link

!!!

Surely this is rumored to be the reason that a certain DJ left the scene not too long ago???

Jodie

Social source share

Whats the point of that, it's on an officially released cd!

Bloody awful record, composed by 2 UK pop writers I think, must be a Brit version

link

The "My aim is to please you" side is the best, i.m.o, Jodie wont agree with that. Carl Fortnum plaid it down the Dome, its good.

Social source share

The "My aim is to please you" side is the best, i.m.o, Jodie wont agree with that. Carl Fortnum plaid it down the Dome, its good.

link

Plaid it? Didn't know Carl was Scottish (ha ha ha ha .....) aggressive.gif

No I don't agree but there wouldn't be any point in talking about anything if we all did

I'm just glad I can play either side whenever I like LOL :wicked:

Social source share

Just had an email from a dealer who assures me a whole box (50 count)

of Frank Wilson has just turned up on the east coast. Evidently it was about to be trashed with a whole load of stuff that had been lurking at the back of a warehouse. Didn't believe at first but a photo attachment showed said dealer with six copies in his hand. Al  white demos as is the normal, apparently apart from being very dirty one copy was cleaned and found to be in almost mint condition although label was dirt marked. Have already secured a copy for my collection cost me $300 but the guy owed me a favour!

Last heard KB was trying through Lou Stanley to purchase the whole box to secure his rariety! Was he not trying to sell some of his own stuff the other day?

Anyway back to wine women and vinyl, happy new year!!!!

link

=================

JV,

You've put up a couple of threads recently, this one, and the one about the 'true Wigan story', but you seem to have left everyone in limbo, and not actually finished either story.

You doing it just to be mischevious??  wicked.gif

Winnie:-)

Social source share

It's like Chinese water torture..... the first few drops can be quite refreshing..... when you've been hit with it loads of times it gets bloody annoying......

It's an average record, not a bad one, but it's so overplayed that it now grates to hear it.

The original UK copy didn't mean it got played that much, but since it's subsequent re-issue on Stardust and as part of the recent spate of Tamla Motown singles, it appears that every "DJ" has one and seems to insist on playing it...

Fortunately, it's not a Nighter spin these days (not the ones I attend anyway), so at least I only get to hear it out about twice a month at local Soul Nights.

WOOF!

link

Are you telling me DJs in England play reissues/Boots etc in thier set?

We have a saying in Aberdeen as in the Film Leon "No Boots , Acetates or re-issues"

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Surely there is a way of knowing how many copies of each Motown single were made even as promos. If certain people have managed to get hold of archive tapes etc from the inner sanctum at Motown, a small detail like 'how many copies of Do I love you were pressed' must be easy. The story that almost all the copies were destroyed before release would only really stand up if it happened more than once. Motown was almost at its peak when this tune got pressed, not some back street 'one off' studio. If it were not so rare would it had been so popular? Cannot remember Chris Clark's version getting hammered anywhere or the instrumental. Personaly I love it, if I can have 3 months between listenings. Did any body find 300 wanted and needed's or my fave tomangoes recently?

Ed

Social source share

Surely there is a way of knowing how many copies of each Motown single were made even as promos. If certain people have managed to get hold of archive tapes etc from the inner sanctum at Motown, a small detail like 'how many copies of Do I love you were pressed' must be easy.

Ed

link

How many were pressed is one thing, and the pressing plant would not have pressed two or three copies with elaborate titles / artwork / Soul label number etc. How many got out / survived is quite another thing. More rumours of buried records in detroit anyone? :thumbsup:

Social source share

We still don't know if this is genuine or a wind up, personally go for the latter until proven otherwise so it's all specualtion and rumour.  John Vincent has a photo, why didn't he post the photo to help back up his claims???  wink.gif

link

Photo as requested.

The guy has the Frank Wilsons in the top box, Towanda Barnes in the second. Don't know what was in the bottom box but its not Frankie Beverley on Rouser, as these have turned up in Leeds. :P

post-1834-1105024164_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Photo as requested.

The guy has the Frank Wilsons in the top box, Towanda Barnes in the second. Don't know what was in the bottom box but its not Frankie Beverley on Rouser, as these have turned up in Leeds.  :D

link

Ok Here's the proof.....

wink.gif:P

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

maybe history but!

the first copy of frank wilson came through ss to kr aroudabout ways

jonathon woodliffe got this copy.

the one that rw played must have been different, as the first one would only play at 10g on the decks because it was so warped.

jonathon used to play 'sweeter' (the other side) because that held on to the Decca London Cartridge better- if that said cartridge holds any grace with any audiophiles out there- another thread for later maybe.

at the time, or there abouts, frank didn't want anything to do with anything that put his name behind the said disc. frank was in serious denial

his take was there were 100 pressed on vinyl and that he personal destroyed 99 of those because he was such a poor vocalist

berry gordy approved

2 or 3 years earlier i saw a listing from the u.s motown collectors society that listed frank as the 15 or 16th top want in the all time favs, for money's worth, motown collectable wants, valued at $15 or so(i still have that doc somewhere)

frank was an unknown vocalist at this point in time so how come he's on 'rare' motown records lists with, for then, silly money prices.

at the time i questioned this with all and sundry, but i was told it didn't matter, so as a relative youngster got pissed indeed(delete pissed for whatever your fave beverage is)

question-how can frank deny that now?

Ans- he cant. its about the sales.

did frank lie?

-he must have done- ask kev roberts- he must remember (great taste that guy) but, but, but.

where's souson when you really need him?

a dyson is right though, what a fabulous record.

never knock something you can't know anything about until you,at least , know something about.

not the right english ,but-get the gist

who is chris clark in this scenario?

is that just a real, after the fact, backing track with some other lady doing vocals, or is it chris clark? is someone fooling you, are you subject to one almighty con by major record companies, major properganists and major hype, maybe i've not read the script,

but please that picture looks like a boot, no not a boot, but someone trying to con innocent people who have disposalble income into parting with their money!

there are other souls who need that disposable income in these times of global awareness more than US.

$300 be very very wary

"a vinyl in the hand is better than 50 in the bush" (bill maybe)

Social source share

Photo as requested.

The guy has the Frank Wilsons in the top box, Towanda Barnes in the second. Don't know what was in the bottom box but its not Frankie Beverley on Rouser, as these have turned up in Leeds.  :P

link

He wants to get himself on that World's Strongest Man programme then.

He's carrying, what, a thousand records?

And he's not even got his hands under the bottom box. :yes:

Social source share

He wants to get himself on that World's Strongest Man programme then.

He's carrying, what, a thousand records?

And he's not even got his hands under the bottom box.  :yes:

link

A thousand :P

Big boy said there were only 50 in the box.

Good job you've analysed the photo in depth, Clouseau, we could all have been fooled. :(

Social source share

A thousand  :yes:

Big boy said there were only 50 in the box.

Good job you've analysed the photo in depth, Clouseau, we could all have been fooled.  :P

link

Does TOTP only count on SSCDT ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!