White Horses- Rupert The Bear Jacky Lee

White Horses- Rupert the Bear Jacky Lee

Not too sure whether to add this to the "Divvies" thread or to start this as a separate animal?

Well here goes, Jacky Lee, singer of White Horses a brilliant melancholy tune used by a TV Show of the same name also did "Rupert the Bear" a clip clop of a TV theme that makes you tap your toe at the tick tock rhythm. Now this is where I enter into "Rumour control" and Northernsoul myths n legends. There is a link between Northernsoul and Jacky Lee: But what I want to know is this...........

Were was the track "Rupert the Bear" played? Was it played? I heard it was? Not too sure if it was on the sister scene "The Mod Scene" but I'm sure it got some plays by the trendy bendy wendies darn sarf. Maybe Ady Crowsnest played it?

From Wikipedia "Lee decided to become a solo artist in 1965 and it is this period, 1965-1967, which defines her cult status through the 'Beat' records she released. Although most of these recordings were not commercially successful at the time, all of them are highly collectible today.[citation needed]

One of these recordings did reach the NME chart however; "Just Like a Man". The B-side; "I Gotta Be With You", became a 'Northern Soul' classic. Lee recorded this single under the name of Emma Rede for EMI Records."

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Not too sure whether to add this to the "Divvies" thread or to start this as a separate animal?

Well here goes, Jacky Lee, singer of White Horses a brilliant melancholy tune used by a TV Show of the same name also did "Rupert the Bear" a clip clop of a TV theme that makes you tap your toe at the tick tock rhythm. Now this is where I enter into "Rumour control" and Northernsoul myths n legends. There is a link between Northernsoul and Jacky Lee: But what I want to know is this...........

Were was the track "Rupert the Bear" played? Was it played? I heard it was? Not too sure if it was on the sister scene "The Mod Scene" but I'm sure it got some plays by the trendy bendy wendies darn sarf. Maybe Ady Crowsnest played it?

From Wikipedia "Lee decided to become a solo artist in 1965 and it is this period, 1965-1967, which defines her cult status through the 'Beat' records she released. Although most of these recordings were not commercially successful at the time, all of them are highly collectible today.[citation needed]

One of these recordings did reach the NME chart however; "Just Like a Man". The B-side; "I Gotta Be With You", became a 'Northern Soul' classic. Lee recorded this single under the name of Emma Rede for EMI Records."

I heard that too, think more on the Mod / 60's beat side of the scene.

Social source share

I think they just played it for a laugh on a couple of mod rallies in the 80s. I don't think it was ever considered a serious play...well not by the djs anyway. Possibly a case of the emperor's new clothes though, the way some people reacted. I definitely remember seeing some dodgy types dancing seriously to it :thumbsup: mace could probably confirm this or KirstyM.

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Keb was seriously gonna`play this,dont know who out of us put him off probberly the same person who put him onto it... not_i.gif

Edited by ken
Social source share

I think they just played it for a laugh on a couple of mod rallies in the 80s. I don't think it was ever considered a serious play...well not by the djs anyway. Possibly a case of the emperor's new clothes though, the way some people reacted. I definitely remember seeing some dodgy types dancing seriously to it :lol: mace could probably confirm this or KirstyM.

I can confirm that it was played on a few mod rallies in the 80's & that I didnt dance to it :thumbsup::lol: . I'm sure I saw Mace dancing it it once or twice though :) . I'm sure that my ex husband owned a copy of the said record, but I am not taking responsibilty for that :lol: . I also remember at the time it was hip to look like Rupert Bear, there were some incredibly awful checked trousers around at the time, that looked like there had been stolen from Rupert :) . Must get round to scanning my photos one day & embarassing everyone :D

Social source share

anyone got a price check for emma rede, ace tune well reccomended

Social source share

Guest marge

hey I've got my own problems with Rupert the Bear without knowing that it was actually played as a joke

(ref: fashion victims thread) - are you telling me the guys at the WMC had a double entendre going on? I thought they were just taking the p.

Social source share

mike- said:
strange like, vids not embedding ?

a side link

flip different beast

no, no, no ohmy.gif the flip conjours up a very different picture, i presume this is the "A" side of the desirable track, ive got to say that by putting up that youtube you are personally responsible for spoiling some of my quality time listening to emma,s "be with you" on my ipod, dog walking will never be the same again,the film clip is totally different from what i dreamt it would be! no offence to emma, i,m sure pete smith put up a slightly different sound version ages ago, thanks for the clips may pm you for the record

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I heard that too, think more on the Mod / 60's beat side of the scene.

After Murial Day et.al., NOTHING would surprise me anymore... unsure.gif

Social source share

he'll probably kill me, but i remember a good friend of mine (who shall remain nameless, but is on this list and will still kill me even though i haven't named him) coming back from an all nighter shall we say somewhat worse for wear, going down the local sunday market boot fair, and proudly coming round straight away with a mint british issue of a Jackie Lee 45 that he'd never heard of. I went in the kitchen and made a cup of tea, only to return into the room and he had suddenly realised he had bought a 45 that sounded nothing like the Jackie Lee that we all know, because he had just played the b-side to 'Rupert The Bear' biggrin.gif

what's that song by the verve? 'the drugs don't work'? well they did then...... :wicked::thumbsup: :thumbsup: biggrin.gif:no::unsure:tongue.giftongue.gif

Social source share

he'll probably kill me, but i remember a good friend of mine (who shall remain nameless, but is on this list and will still kill me even though i haven't named him) coming back from an all nighter shall we say somewhat worse for wear, going down the local sunday market boot fair, and proudly coming round straight away with a mint british issue of a Jackie Lee 45 that he'd never heard of. I went in the kitchen and made a cup of tea, only to return into the room and he had suddenly realised he had bought a 45 that sounded nothing like the Jackie Lee that we all know, because he had just played the b-side to 'Rupert The Bear' biggrin.gif

what's that song by the verve? 'the drugs don't work'? well they did then...... :thumbsup::thumbsup::unsure::no::Dtongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Err who the hell was that then :wicked:

Derek

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Rupert the Bear was certainly played on scooter rallies in the mid 0s. The sight of a couple of hundred pished up skinhead rtypes bouncing round the floor to it is a site I will never forget no matter how hard I try.

Having said that, there were some VERY dodgy tracks played back then, whether through bad humour or in all seriousness I'vbe never been able to work out. Any scooterists remember the (I think) 900 Number? The brass line from "Hear The Drummer, Get Wicked" or something that charted back then. One sax riff repeated for 4 minutes......

Edited by ScooterNik
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!