How Much Longer Can It Last?

The average age of the average Northern Soul punter is creeping towards the mid fifties and ill health (and worse) is becoming an issue for many.

At best things are increasingly more and more like an extended episode of drug addled, demented 'Grumpy Old Men'. Within three years it will be worse ...it'll be looking like 'The Last of The Summer Wine' with a better soundtrack.

There are many great ambassadors for the Northern Soul scene. And there are many terrible ones.

The Northern Soul scene's glorious past and the true wonder of the music we all love, the history of what is probably the longest running, most wonderful, passionate, eclectic youth cult in the UK is in danger of being dragged down by dementia, bitterness, selective memory and the refusal to relax the unwritten rules of 1974 while constantly flaunting them.

A younger crowd reading things on here would surely generally run a mile from the 'empty vessel' mentality of maudlin nostagia for things that happened more than 30 years ago? Like the protestations of a inmate of a care home refusing to get dressed in the morning, the semi delirious shouts against attempts to move forward in any way, shape, or form are getting louder, while the next generation, the caretakers, surely look on in horror, trying to understand why its happening and hoping the legacy isn't tarnished by the rantings?

How much longer can the whole thing last ?

Social source share

• Replies 134
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The average age of the average Northern Soul punter is creeping towards the mid fifties and ill health (and worse) is becoming an issue for many.

At best things are increasingly more and more like an extended episode of drug addled, demented 'Grumpy Old Men'. Within three years it will be worse ...it'll be looking like 'The Last of The Summer Wine' with a better soundtrack.

There are many great ambassadors for the Northern Soul scene. And there are many terrible ones.

The Northern Soul scene's glorious past and the true wonder of the music we all love, the history of what is probably the longest running, most wonderful, passionate, eclectic youth cult in the UK is in danger of being dragged down by dementia, bitterness, selective memory and the refusal to relax the unwritten rules of 1974 while constantly flaunting them.

A younger crowd reading things on here would surely generally run a mile from the 'empty vessel' mentality of maudlin nostagia for things that happened more than 30 years ago? Like the protestations of a inmate of a care home refusing to get dressed in the morning, the semi delirious shouts against attempts to move forward in any way, shape, or form are getting louder, while the next generation, the caretakers, surely look on in horror, trying to understand why its happening and hoping the legacy isn't tarnished by the rantings?

Hi Simon

I think that such a lot of the hard work has been done over the years, tracking down many wonderful records.

and we were in the right place in time to do it. (Imagine if we were to start now 40+ years after the recording.)

Obviously captured on Vinyl at first, CD and now with the MP3, Our music is just too good to disappear.

It will have a future, as without our scene many of the records would have been long gone, destroyed,

the interest in the Master Tapes the lot.

A sound foundation for someone to build on when we hand over.

The scene may not resemble ours but I'm certain It will exist. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I'm as guilty as anyone of nostalgia, but I hope I've done everything I can to promote Soul music to otherwise indifferent people via tapes and general enthusiasm, and I've succeeded in "converting" several to the Soul cause in the process. In fact though, I'm always a little bit astonished that younger people have taken to Northern Soul at all, given that the scene must seem really bizarre to outsiders sometimes! (and these "younger" ones are already 30+ years old in many cases!)

Hopefully, attention from a younger crowd will be forthcoming given the spread of the music, but new blood is definitely needed on the UK scene that's for sure.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Northern isn't the property of the original crowd, there are many younger people into the music, most of the better bars and clubs in Leeds regularly play northern soul to a mixed crowd of 20 - 35 year olds and most of them love it, the big Mod / indie club in Leeds 'Brighton beach' always has a packed dance floor playing northern 'classics' as does 'Move on up', the 'Wardrobe' and other similar clubs, not to mention stuff we have promoted ourselves over the last few years. I read about the supposedly 'Dark times' after Wigan closed, and yes the allnighter scene may have gone further underground but on the growing scooter scene of the time, Northern was (and still is) massive and many people like myself started getting into the music around this time. The scene isnt just 50 somethings who were there the first time around (Lucky b*******!)it is an evolving scene in my eyes and far from over, ok the glory days may be over (?), but there are still loads of great venues / DJ's who show no signs of slowing down and many younger people infiltrating the scene, so plenty of life in the old Dog yet!

Ste :thumbsup:

Social source share

went to Kings hall,stoke on saturday for the first time,wonderful place in its own right.

i was very suprised that it does look like Wigan. which i did mention to the friend who i was with.

he then said he was very envious of me! (as i used to go) Why! i said...i personally am enjoying

the scene and the people,much more now than i ever did. Also the place was full of young people

teen,s early 20,s loving it , and living it, have seen this at most place,s but more so here,these guys looked ,and moved like they had been into it as long as i had.

It was a sight to behold, and just added to my enjoyment.Sorry to say but looks like this scene

is not ready to fade away........EVER..!!!!.Oh! dear looks like i am going to have to carry on enjoying

myself a little longer,and with bit of luck,....and a grow bag, my son will be tagging along with me.

His choice by the way :D ......keep on smiling

Social source share

Guest billinghamsoulboy

i just like to say im 37 and started going to soul nights over the last couple of years even tho a soul fan all my adult life. i love soul nights and music because it still sound exciting to me and there has not been anything last few years on the commercial music scene ie charts or whatever to feel any passion for unlike northern soul which is fantastic and being at a soul night is better company and atmos than a shitty night down teesside town centres with the drunks listening to abba, queen, or bryan bloody adams. A lot of my mates ask me what soul nights are like but wont come for themselves i think they expect it to be old fashioned people, but the one couple who did come with us said it was brilliant and loved it.anyway what i want to say is i am going to keep coming to the soulnights as much as work allows. keep the faith!

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

went to Kings hall,stoke on saturday for the first time,wonderful place in its own right.

i was very suprised that it does look like Wigan. which i did mention to the friend who i was with.

he then said he was very envious of me! (as i used to go) Why! i said...i personally am enjoying

the scene and the people,much more now than i ever did. Also the place was full of young people

teen,s early 20,s loving it , and living it, have seen this at most place,s but more so here,these guys looked ,and moved like they had been into it as long as i had.

It was a sight to behold, and just added to my enjoyment.Sorry to say but looks like this scene

is not ready to fade away........EVER..!!!!.Oh! dear looks like i am going to have to carry on enjoying

myself a little longer,and with bit of luck,....and a grow bag, my son will be tagging along with me.

His choice by the way :D ......keep on smiling

Hi Steve,

Stoke is THE best allnighter in Britain in my opinion, not a dull chin stroker in sight, great dance music and a superb atmosphere - and yes, lots of young 'uns!

Ste.

Edited by Ste Brazil
Social source share

i just like to say im 37 and started going to soul nights over the last couple of years even tho a soul fan all my adult life. i love soul nights and music because it still sound exciting to me and there has not been anything last few years on the commercial music scene ie charts or whatever to feel any passion for unlike northern soul which is fantastic and being at a soul night is better company and atmos than a shitty night down teesside town centres with the drunks listening to abba, queen, or bryan bloody adams. A lot of my mates ask me what soul nights are like but wont come for themselves i think they expect it to be old fashioned people, but the one couple who did come with us said it was brilliant and loved it.anyway what i want to say is i am going to keep coming to the soulnights as much as work allows. keep the faith!

Fantastic,i almost forgot myself,that its not just about the very young getting into the

scene,it anybody at any age,...i know of a few people even into their 50,s that have only been coming for a couple of years, and for one reason or another didn,t manage it in when they were younger,and again to see the glee and enjoyment on their faces is wonderful. People will always think what they want,ie: full of old folk etc,etc,etc....let them! its their loss......there are only people who enjoy!!....

Edited by STEVIE.T
Social source share

Guest mobbsy

met a lad on the train last week he was listening to a northern cd speaking to him only 20 years old from great Yarmouth! giving him free tickets for our soul nights and gonna give him some of my cds too coz i think its brilliant to see the young people getting into it :D .

Social source share

Hi Steve,

Stoke is THE best allnighter in Britain in my opinion, not a dull chin stroker in sight, great dance music and a superb atmosphere - and yes, lots of young 'uns!

Ste.

Hiya mate..

i agree entirely and hope to see you down there sometime :D

Social source share

bit severe Simon and have to say not the way I see things on here at all

if anything feel such posts like yours could cause more damage than the odd grumpy post as imo does gives a false picture.

average age mid 50s ???

would argue with that one

as for what the "younger crowd" think ??

loads of members on here who I would say fall into that category

why dont you ask them?

sorry but have to say to me comes over as the very thing you are complaining about...

a grumpy old man post

Social source share

bit severe Simon and have to say not the way I see things on here at all

if anything feel such posts like yours could cause more damage than the odd grumpy post as imo does gives a false picture.

average age mid 50s ???

would argue with that one

as for what the "younger crowd" think ??

loads of members on here who I would say fall into that category

why dont you ask them?

sorry but have to say to me comes over as the very thing you are complaining about...

a grumpy old man post

I am 50 next year, and have to admit i dont act it,sorry but cant help myself.Most of the friends, not all but most are alot younger than me,didn,t pick it that way it just happened! and they never! ever bad mouth anyone! the scene as i can see create,s well mannered,polite and happy people,maybe its because they do mix with us old farts. :search:

Social source share

Londons Soul revolution ,and other gigs Worldwide prove that young people are into it , maybe with a funkier modern soul , type edge . Its still all-nighter soul music . The kids will become DJ's and promoters just give em a chance :D

ps. I was one of the kids who went to 100 club, Fleet ,Stafford etc etc ..I thought there were some grumpy old men even then LOL ..

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Londons Soul revolution ,and other gigs Worldwide prove that young people are into it , maybe with a funkier modern soul , type edge . Its still all-nighter soul music . The kids will become DJ's and promoters just give em a chance :D

maybe your right... funkier / modern, certainly frightens me off :rolleyes:

Social source share

ps. I was one of the kids who went to 100 club, Fleet ,Stafford etc etc ..I thought there were some grumpy old men even then LOL ..

Blatant plug get yourself along to Soulshakers at the weekend, it's not the end only the beginning :rolleyes:

Social source share

Jeez... if only people spent half as much time & effort going out and enjoying the scene as they do moaning about it...

GET OUT THERE... IT'S FUN! :D ....that's still allowed right?

:rolleyes:

Only 20 mins of fun per 2hrs though Joan, if not the fun police will arrest ya biggrin.gif

Grumpy old men?

Nah what i see is people passionate about the music, wanting 'the torch' be be carried on, plenty of vibrant places out there you just got to find them.

What with nights ala Soul Revolution and all the like, its fast becoming the hippest scene in the world again :shades:

Social source share

Jeez... if only people spent half as much time & effort going out and enjoying the scene as they do moaning about it...

GET OUT THERE... IT'S FUN! :rolleyes: ....that's still allowed right?

You took the words right out of my mouth :D And didn't we have the same thread running last week under a different title, oh and perhaps 3 weeks ago and 1 month ago and 3 months ago, this topic has been done to death over the last 6 months, lets just get out there and enjoy :shades:

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest Trevski

GET OUT THERE... IT'S FUN! :D ....that's still allowed right?

:rolleyes: Well said Joan!

I know I can be grumpy with the best of 'em, hell, I even have a Ba(hons) in moaning, but your absolutely right, get out and enjoy it, however long it lasts, at least you'll have some good times to look back on when your sat in your shackletons high chair, smelling of pee! laugh.gif

Maybe Mike should put a block on all "When will it end?" "Where are all the youngsters?" etc threads, done to death, and going no-where. If you wanna discuss such things, pin someone in a corner for three hours at a niter and do THEIR head in! :shades:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Northern isn't the property of the original crowd, there are many younger people into the music

In one.

Is your initial post of 'How long can it last?' really a post about how long you yourself will be able to attend and feel relevant on the scene.

As I posted elsewhere, Northern - be it mainly Modern - Soul is alive and well with the 20 to 30's up and down the country.

Again, it's difficult to get them to go to a 'nighter (the age thing always crops up when I speak to people about it) to enjoy their soul music when they can go to a night/all dayer that plays house and soul and is filled with people their own age.

I understand what you're saying and I too would like it to go on forever but Northern Soul is now a City, it's just a shame some people still have a village mentality.

Social source share

"The scene isnt just 50 somethings who were there the first time around (Lucky b*******!)it is an evolving scene in my eyes and far from over"

There appears to be an awful lot of muddled and wishful thinking about this topic. Im not singling out Ste Brazil here for a personal attack but in light of his above comment I'd like to know how he reconciles the reference to "evolving" to his own wants he's posted on here which include "House for sale", "Summer in the Parks", Pusherman", Innervision, and Lavern Baker, all of which have been played going back to the 70's. Im sorry Ste but that's the only evidence I have of the type of 45 you like and which Im assuming are in your opinion part of this vibrant younger scene you wish to take hold.

My overall impression is that guys like Simon M feel that the funkier 70's sound will attract the youngsters. I have no idea if he's right and don't know anything about that part of the scene and can only assume he's talking Keb Darge, Butch, JT Trouble approach.However Ste does refer to clubs in Leeds where I doubt that type of playlist is utilised.

I think this "mythic" influx of youngsters that are gonna save us all very shortly will not continue my scene but will just like what they like and so if Ste's wants list is a guide it will be the same old 45s us 50 something "chinstrokers" heard years ago and won't be fresh but just more nostalgia.

Now, there's nothing wrong with any of that from the point of view that it's great younger people should get to hear these 45s and take from that experience what they want, but I fail to see how it backs up any notion of an unbroken progression from say the Wheel to Middleton. I just can't see it being a continuation of our scene.

Im sorry if that makes me a grumpy old man.

ROD

Social source share

"The scene isnt just 50 somethings who were there the first time around (Lucky b*******!)it is an evolving scene in my eyes and far from over"

There appears to be an awful lot of muddled and wishful thinking about this topic. Im not singling out Ste Brazil here for a personal attack but in light of his above comment I'd like to know how he reconciles the reference to "evolving" to his own wants he's posted on here which include "House for sale", "Summer in the Parks", Pusherman", Innervision, and Lavern Baker, all of which have been played going back to the 70's. Im sorry Ste but that's the only evidence I have of the type of 45 you like and which Im assuming are in your opinion part of this vibrant younger scene you wish to take hold.

My overall impression is that guys like Simon M feel that the funkier 70's sound will attract the youngsters. I have no idea if he's right and don't know anything about that part of the scene and can only assume he's talking Keb Darge, Butch, JT Trouble approach.However Ste does refer to clubs in Leeds where I doubt that type of playlist is utilised.

I think this "mythic" influx of youngsters that are gonna save us all very shortly will not continue my scene but will just like what they like and so if Ste's wants list is a guide it will be the same old 45s us 50 something "chinstrokers" heard years ago and won't be fresh but just more nostalgia.

Now, there's nothing wrong with any of that from the point of view that it's great younger people should get to hear these 45s and take from that experience what they want, but I fail to see how it backs up any notion of an unbroken progression from say the Wheel to Middleton. I just can't see it being a continuation of our scene.

ROD

Well you are very old Rod....yes and i'm very fat........but we do have some awesome records between us...lol and really that's all that matters.....lol. as Joan said just enjoy the scene/music, have fun and spend perhaps a little more time in doing rather than talking about it!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Simon

ROD

Spot on Rod, that's pretty much what i posted on this subject last time, it's all very well to have youngsters going along to this new funky version of the NS scene but what about the original version of the thing, i don't see what was wrong with that.

As i said before it's great that there's these new approaches but hopefully not at the expense of the original model & also another point that i made before why do peeps feel that young people getting into this music can only get it if there's some Funk etc. mixed in, why is it people feel that the younger element can't understand a straight down the line NS night.

Simon

Social source share

Hi Rod , I was thinking more along the lines of DJ's like Ian Wright (UK) , Chris B(Oslo) , DJ Them (Japan)

ps. J-Brew maybe too

I say this as Jtrouble ,Butch etc , played a high percentage of straight up Northern at Soul Revolution !

pps. Butch will do it fo me at Without Boudries !! (fingers crossed)

:D

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

ROD

Hi Rod,

The records you mention are tracks i'm sure most have heard many times, i collect Funk, jazz, 60's / 70's northern and Modern soul, i wasnt suggesting my recent wants list(and thats all it is) was revolutionary in any way, they are just records I LIKE! I'm sure you could list any playlist on here and cite it as being great/new revolutionary(!) but within minutes somebody would be mumbling...'I remember that being played 300 years ago at the Wheel, bah humbug...youngsters today...' By evolving, i simply meant, and can only speak from my own experiences, that there ARE younger people on the scene, and more are getting into it bit by bit via clubs that i have mentioned, and yes, the playlists do include Northern and Funk and have been running for many years very succesfully - these nights lack the tired politics and concentrate on having a good time, pure and simple, i would not compere them to the 'traditional' scene as such, but these promoters dont really look to the trad scene anyway for inspiration - its new ideas coming from this generation that will evolve the Northern / modern / funk sound and hopefully keep it sounding fresh for many years to come. Feel free to criticize, but all im saying is this music is great, its not just us that think so, there ARE many young people out there who also feel the same.

Ste.

Social source share

Apart from the "old" I agree completely with Mark and Joan. I don't care if a club has 50 old "chinstrokers" or 500 "youngsters" in as long as I get to hear something new to me and buy a couple of 45s. That's what I get out of the scene.

ROD

Nail on head there Rod, joking apart why are most of us on this scene? the records plain and simple, yes it's a social scene as well but the fundimental single reason we are all involved is because the music took hold of us and that was it, now if new, younger of whatever other people experience that feeling then they will follow.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

YES I FIND THIS A WORN OUT TOPIC AGAIN ON SOUL SOURCE.FIRSTLY WHATS WRONG WITH THE FRIENDSHIPS FORGED SINCE THE SEVENTIES ,THE GREAT EVOLVING MUSIC[LIFELINE,DDA,SOUL REVOLUTION ETC TO NAME A FEW].WHY SHOULD WE FEEL THAT SOMEHOW YOUNGER PEOPLE WHO COME ONTO THESCENE NOW WILL CARRY IT ON,FOR CHRIST SAKE THERE MUST HAVE A THOUSHAND MORE DISTRACTIONS THEN WHAT WE DID IN THE SEVENTIES.

THERE SEEMS TO BE A CONTINUAL NEED TO SAY THINGS LIKE WHOS GONNA CARRY IT ON,WELL THE ANSWER IS LIVE NOW AND ENJOY WHATS INFRONT OF YOU.IF YOUNG PEOPLE COME THROUGH,GREAT IF NOT WELL SO BE IT.

BAZ A.

Social source share

Shake it til you can't no more I say! :shades:

There are new people getting into it and with the amount of fantastic stuff discovered to date, who could blame them? Music like this demands to be listened to and has to be danced to. :D

I'm going out dancing Saturday night and you know what? I can't wait! :rolleyes:

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Revival

Simon, I think it's a forgone conclusion that we will end up "looking like 'The Last of The Summer Wine' with a better soundtrack".

There are not enough youngsters on the scene to carry it on after we are dust.

So what I say?

Northernsoul is ours, it's not a precious legacy that has to be passed down, its only precious if those who hold think it so and if they don't then hey" fook em!!

No one has a crystal ball, but here is my prediction based on what happened to the Mod/Scootering scene that mirrors our in a slightly different way but the passion is identical.....

Were the mod/Scootering scene bubbled up with volcanic proportions was after the film Quadrophenia. This cave "New blood" into the scene.

The Northernsoul scene, I predict needs to or will do, die to raise phoenix like. What this will need is a catalyst that captures the imagination as did Quadrophenia, The Strange world of northernsoul sadly fell well short of the mark.

There is no formula, it's not enough just to know our music is quality, if in time some one re-discovers the re-discovered and it captures the imagination again then they will be off. God bless them coz they are in for a roller coaster of a ride, be nice to see it happen but we kinda all know we will be long forgotten, bugger!

The Punk scene came just as the youth were disillusioned with the shat on Top Of the Pops and the northernsoul scene was a secret under ground scene spawned against the chicken in a basket and crushed velvet jacket night clubs (yes I know there is more to it than that but I want to go and eat lunch soon!).

"The average age of the average Northern Soul punter is creeping towards the mid fifties and ill health (and worse) is becoming an issue for many". Didn't realy need reminding of that!

As far as the legacy is being tarnished by the rantings, well to be honest, no one listens, cares or realy gives a flying fook at what is said by a DJ or record dealer come collector, honest! There is life out side the record box.

They're all a bunch of train spotters who I used to take lunch money off at school who need the likes of "Soul Source" (tongue in cheek here dudes) to maintain the myth.

Fook me are there any dancers on this list? Coz I think I'm the only expert on here? :-) Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Social source share

YES I FIND THIS A WORN OUT TOPIC AGAIN ON SOUL SOURCE.FIRSTLY WHATS WRONG WITH THE FRIENDSHIPS FORGED SINCE THE SEVENTIES ,THE GREAT EVOLVING MUSIC[LIFELINE,DDA,SOUL REVOLUTION ETC TO NAME A FEW].WHY SHOULD WE FEEL THAT SOMEHOW YOUNGER PEOPLE WHO COME ONTO THESCENE NOW WILL CARRY IT ON,FOR CHRIST SAKE THERE MUST HAVE A THOUSHAND MORE DISTRACTIONS THEN WHAT WE DID IN THE SEVENTIES.

THERE SEEMS TO BE A CONTINUAL NEED TO SAY THINGS LIKE WHOS GONNA CARRY IT ON,WELL THE ANSWER IS LIVE NOW AND ENJOY WHATS INFRONT OF YOU.IF YOUNG PEOPLE COME THROUGH,GREAT IF NOT WELL SO BE IT.

BAZ A.

Here!Here! Baz, embrace, cheerish,enjoy,love,share what we have and what we are part of and if others want to take part,embrace, share, love, cheerish,enjoy and maybe even contribute something to the scene then bring it on i say!

Time to do i feel rather than talk about, what if? or if only? the scene is what is is, the music has no rival.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

P.S. When the mythical new film about Northern soul appears EVERYBODY will be into soul wont they?! :D

Ste.

Social source share

" these nights lack the tired politics and concentrate on having a good time, pure and simple, i would not compere them to the 'traditional' scene as such, but these promoters dont really look to the trad scene anyway for inspiration"

Ste, Im really not criticising and certainly not having a go at you. In fact you're saying above what Im saying. It's got very little to do with my scene other than incorporating 45s I happen to like. So it's not gonna extend the sell-by-date of trad NS as you call it.

To be honest the funk thing is nowt new. My ex-girlfriend was playing funk, 2-step and jazz mixed with hip hop to a young crowd in Manchester back in the 90's at the Atlas Bar, Home and a couple of other places. I think she did a club in Leeds as well at the time as a guest. At the time I was a dealer and went to USA a lot and I let her keep whatever sounded good in those styles. She didn't touch Northern but only cos there was no way she was taking my 45s outta the house!!

ROD

Social source share

DEFINETLY MARK,FRIENDS YOU CAN RELY ON UP AND DOWN THE COUNTRY AND EVEN USA ,BRILLIANT MEMORIES,A SENSE OF MATURITY PUTS THE SCENE INTO PERSPECTIVE ,FOR EVERY NEGATIVE THERE ARE NUMEROUSLY MORE POSITIVES,MAINLY THAT UNDISCOVERED £5-10 QUID DISC THAT LIFTS YOU WHEN YOU ARE DOWN,OR A NEW FOUND FRIENDSHIP.

TO ME THE SCENE IN THE SEVENTIES WAS A RIGHT OF PASSAGE THAT HAS TURNED INTO SOMETHING ALOT MORE SUBSTANTIAL THAN BEEN REFERRED TO AS A ANORAK ETC.SWEEPING COMMENTS LIKE THAT DO NOT SIT WELL WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED THE SCENE THROUGH THICK AND THIN,LOST PEOPLE AND DUG IN WHEN IT COUNTED.

THE GREAT LEVELLER FOR ME IS THINKING ABOUT LOST FRIENDS ONE IN PARTICULAR WHOS RESPONSE WOULD OF BEEN IF ASKED WILL THE SCENE SURVIVE ---- OFF [WE ARE THE SCENE].

BAZ A.

Social source share

who seriously thought the scene would last this long back in the 70's? credit due to everyone involved , keep going,.Nobody's denying we're gettin older, but what would we have done without the scene.STOP MOANIN' and live your life.i'm still as enthusiastic about Northern as i was back in the day.

One last thing , without the "chinstrokers", we wouldn't have moved the scene on .we need them just like we need the "baggies crew".

Social source share

DEFINETLY MARK,FRIENDS YOU CAN RELY ON UP AND DOWN THE COUNTRY AND EVEN USA ,BRILLIANT MEMORIES,A SENSE OF MATURITY PUTS THE SCENE INTO PERSPECTIVE ,FOR EVERY NEGATIVE THERE ARE NUMEROUSLY MORE POSITIVES,MAINLY THAT UNDISCOVERED £5-10 QUID DISC THAT LIFTS YOU WHEN YOU ARE DOWN,OR A NEW FOUND FRIENDSHIP.

TO ME THE SCENE IN THE SEVENTIES WAS A RIGHT OF PASSAGE THAT HAS TURNED INTO SOMETHING ALOT MORE SUBSTANTIAL THAN BEEN REFERRED TO AS A ANORAK ETC.SWEEPING COMMENTS LIKE THAT DO NOT SIT WELL WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED THE SCENE THROUGH THICK AND THIN,LOST PEOPLE AND DUG IN WHEN IT COUNTED.

THE GREAT LEVELLER FOR ME IS THINKING ABOUT LOST FRIENDS ONE IN PARTICULAR WHOS RESPONSE WOULD OF BEEN IF ASKED WILL THE SCENE SURVIVE ---- OFF [WE ARE THE SCENE].

BAZ A.

Should make us proud Baz to be part of something that we all seem to care about and hold in such high reguard, despite what we all say sometimes and how we feel it's true to say that we are all here on this scene for life, infact it is perhaps life...lol bit deep this for me and i've pulled a sicky today from work to guess what........???? get myself and records ready for a banging night out in Grimsby on Saturday...infact tunes on now...it don't get much better than 'The Four Tracks' and a coffee....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

" these nights lack the tired politics and concentrate on having a good time, pure and simple, i would not compere them to the 'traditional' scene as such, but these promoters dont really look to the trad scene anyway for inspiration"

Ste, Im really not criticising and certainly not having a go at you. In fact you're saying above what Im saying. It's got very little to do with my scene other than incorporating 45s I happen to like. So it's not gonna extend the sell-by-date of trad NS as you call it.

To be honest the funk thing is nowt new. My ex-girlfriend was playing funk, 2-step and jazz mixed with hip hop to a young crowd in Manchester back in the 90's at the Atlas Bar, Home and a couple of other places. I think she did a club in Leeds as well at the time as a guest. At the time I was a dealer and went to USA a lot and I let her keep whatever sounded good in those styles. She didn't touch Northern but only cos there was no way she was taking my 45s outta the house!!

ROD

I appreciate none of it is new - well apart from all the new modern releases - it's keeping it sounding fresh and tailoring it to a younger audience that is important, i think choice of venues is very important here, they are not content with the average Working men's club night out i dont imagine!?

P.S. I can relate to not letting your girlfriend get hold of your records, i have just taught mine how to DJ and its making me nervous... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Rod,

The records you mention are tracks i'm sure most have heard many times, i collect Funk, jazz, 60's / 70's northern and Modern soul, i wasnt suggesting my recent wants list(and thats all it is) was revolutionary in any way, they are just records I LIKE! I'm sure you could list any playlist on here and cite it as being great/new revolutionary(!) but within minutes somebody would be mumbling...'I remember that being played 300 years ago at the Wheel, bah humbug...youngsters today...' By evolving, i simply meant, and can only speak from my own experiences, that there ARE younger people on the scene, and more are getting into it bit by bit via clubs that i have mentioned, and yes, the playlists do include Northern and Funk and have been running for many years very succesfully - these nights lack the tired politics and concentrate on having a good time, pure and simple, i would not compere them to the 'traditional' scene as such, but these promoters dont really look to the trad scene anyway for inspiration - its new ideas coming from this generation that will evolve the Northern / modern / funk sound and hopefully keep it sounding fresh for many years to come. Feel free to criticize, but all im saying is this music is great, its not just us that think so, there ARE many young people out there who also feel the same.

Ste.

Good post Ste.

You're right about the irrelevance of whether a tune was played in the 70s, well known to us or rare.. to the younger people the music is all relatively new.

The type of venue you mention will begat a new, almost seperate, "scene" IMO.. one that will not attract to many of the seniors who atend now.

Smart, city centre venues with no strict rules on what can be played.. soul, funk, R&B, Jamaican, house all in the same room. Events where the word northern is absent; where there is no anorak mentality, no " ns etiquette" and no pissing contests about who played what first.. bit like the scene in Europe really.

These people are not going to go to village halls, miners welfare clubs and the like.. that will be the last refuge of the current elite, those who want to keep it "underground".

I was interested to read in another post that Stoke was "full" of youngsters: How full? 15? 20? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

You're right about the irrelevance of whether a tune was played in the 70s, well known to us or rare.. to the younger people the music is all relatively new.

Spot on - no such thing as 'oldies' to a crowd of people who have never heard them before!

Ste.

Social source share

Guest Simon

Events where the word northern is absent; where there is no anorak mentality, no " ns etiquette" and no pissing contests about who played what first.. bit like the scene in Europe really.

This in turn will bring no sense of belonging, no history, no tangeability...An empty meaningless scene imo.

Simon

Social source share

Good post Ste.

The type of venue you mention will begat a new, almost seperate, "scene" IMO.. one that will not attract to many of the seniors who atend now.

Smart, city centre venues with no strict rules on what can be played.. soul, funk, R&B, Jamaican, house all in the same room. Events where the word northern is absent; where there is no anorak mentality, no " ns etiquette" and no pissing contests about who played what first.. bit like the scene in Europe really.

These people are not going to go to village halls, miners welfare clubs and the like.. that will be the last refuge of the current elite, those who want to keep it "underground".

I was interested to read in another post that Stoke was "full" of youngsters: How full? 15? 20? :thumbsup:

=============

I saw that and wondered the same thing :yes:

Over the years, seen lots of posts along the lines of will youngsters fit in, think I've written a couple myself :thumbsup: But if they did come in in their droves, perhaps the question would be, do we fit in, maybe thats really what's worrying people? I'd like to see the scene progress as in terms of a younger element, but if I were in the minority age group at a do, (Time-lords) :wub: would I feel comfortable. Guess I won't really know unless this fabled 'influx' is realised.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

As long as it lasts as long as I last .....

LOL!

i've thought that a few times, at least the older crowd have attended the best clubs ever and are still doing it today, and are maybe more concerned about pensions etc rather than 'will i have a club / allnighter to go to in 10-15 years'...!

Ste.

Social source share

THERE'S LIFE IN THE OLD DOG YET !!! THE SCENE THAT IS ! IT'S STILL GIVING ME MEMORABLE NIGHTS OUT WITH GREAT FRIENDS AND THAT'S ENOUGH FOR ME. REMEMBER READING AN ARTICLE BACK IN THE SEVENTIES ASKING IF IT WOULD LAST AND SOMEONE SAYING THEY'D STILL BE DANCING TO GLORIA JONES 'TAINTED LOVE' WHEN THEY WERE EIGHTY...WELL MAYBE ! CALL ME SELFISH BUT I'M STILL HAVING A BRILLIANT TIME AND CAN'T SEE IT STOPPING JUST YET......HAVING SAID THAT ..IF I AM DUE TO TAKE MY TERMINAL BREATH ANY DAY SOON...I HOPE I'M OUT ON THE FLOOR (no pun intended) AND AL WILLIAMS IS PLAYING !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert